Author Topic: Hello from Portugal  (Read 5303 times)

pathfinder

• Member of Clube Varadero Crosstourer Portugal
Hello from Portugal
« on: July 11, 2017, 02:03:18 »
Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I wrote something on this forum (I think it was still the time that it was called Varadero International... ;D). So it's time to redo my presentation.

I'm from Portugal, my name is Pedro Amorim and I'm a proud owner of a November 2002 XL1000V Varadero, which I bought new (126,000 kms in odo at the present).

Mainly I have travelled by Portugal (of course), Madeira, Spain, Morocco and France. I was at the VCIM in France where I met (little) Bernard, Gilles and many other Honda Adventure Riders. 15 years is a long time, and so it's time to turn the page and change the old Varadero for a fresh and more updated bike. Fuel injection, ABS, TC, digital displays and maybe DCT are welcomed.

Last couple of days, I have spent a significant part of my free time reading everything that is written here about the VFR1200X Crosstourer and the CRF1000L Africa Twin. It's been very educational. For me the decision is tight. The test-drive of the two bikes will be decisive.

Social networks are useful for the possibility of sharing photos and conversation online, but here we find the information organized by themes sorted by date. It's a huge advantage.

Last but not the least, I want to congratulate the administrators and contributors of this forum for the magnificent work they do in preserving and updating it for so long.

Regards,
António Pedro Amorim
(Pathfinder)
Current: 2020 CRF1100L Africa Twin Adventure Sports ES DCT
Previous: 2017 CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT; 2002 XL1000V Varadero; 2001 XL650V Transalp

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Re: Hello from Portugal
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 05:59:52 »
Hi António

Welcome back!

The forum has changed quite a bit and is now open to Honda Adventure Riders of all kinds.  There are still changes being made to align the forum with its new theme of: Honda Adventure Riders

I understand what you say about the forum being more structured than social media sites.  It certainly is much easier to review the information you are interested in.

We currently have a poll running on the name for Honda Adventure Riders Meetings. Please feel free to vote at: http://honda-adventure-riders.com/index.php?topic=1600.0

best regards
James Mc
Former CVP member :)
Now in Canada :)
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 10:44:21 »
Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I wrote something on this forum (I think it was still the time that it was called Varadero International... ;D). So it's time to redo my presentation.

I'm from Portugal, my name is Pedro Amorim and I'm a proud owner of a November 2002 XL1000V Varadero, which I bought new (126,000 kms in odo at the present).

Mainly I have travelled by Portugal (of course), Madeira, Spain, Morocco and France. I was at the VCIM in France where I met (little) Bernard, Gilles and many other Honda Adventure Riders. 15 years is a long time, and so it's time to turn the page and change the old Varadero for a fresh and more updated bike. Fuel injection, ABS, TC, digital displays and maybe DCT are welcomed.

Last couple of days, I have spent a significant part of my free time reading everything that is written here about the VFR1200X Crosstourer and the CRF1000L Africa Twin. It's been very educational. For me the decision is tight. The test-drive of the two bikes will be decisive.

Social networks are useful for the possibility of sharing photos and conversation online, but here we find the information organized by themes sorted by date. It's a huge advantage.

Last but not the least, I want to congratulate the administrators and contributors of this forum for the magnificent work they do in preserving and updating it for so long.

Regards,
Welcome back!

I have had all, Vara, CT and now AT so maybe I can help you decision. What kind of riding are you doing?
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

meine dicke

• Only soaring is nicer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:37:59 »
Welcome (back) to this great forum.

As you see in my example there are also other solutions to go further.
But never the less it´s as well worth staying at HONDA and it´s new ADV MCs.
Depends on what you want to do (ride) and the "ambiente" such as garages nearby ...

Greetings from the South of Germany
Rainer alias meine dicke
Think positive - Flaps negative
YAMAHA XT 1200 ZE Worldcrosser
VDT 2010;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23;24
IAHT 2013;16
VIM 2014;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23; 24 (ORGA)
Since 2010: CBF600 (10.000); Varadero (100.000); XT1200ZE (since 11/2016 >= 141.000)

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 12:42:39 »
Welcome back Pedro ! surely we meet again in Andorra on your new bike; My opinion is AT is the closer to Varadero's spirit, make the job perfectly; riding with pillion and luggages, on nice scenery ; and much much better & easier on off-road purpose! the perfect bike for me with more then 23000 kms in a little bit then one year  VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 15:55:15 »
Hi, Pedro.

Welcome back.
Hopefully we'll meet both you and your Portugese friends in Andorra.

Since last time I had to change the bike, too.
I did the same as you are planning - tried the CT and the AT in different versions, with my pillion.
To make it short. I didn't like the CT. Wife didn't sit well on the AT.
Now we're the happy owners of a "new" Varadero 2008 with an improved Top Sellerie gel saddle.
See you deep in a German forest ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 16:00:32 »
Hi, Pedro.

Welcome back.

I did the same as you are planning - tried the CT and the AT in different versions, with my pillion.
Now we're the happy owners of a "new" Varadero 2008 with an improved Top Sellerie gel saddle.
I agree, AT is small for two adult size riders  VCIF_varaGrey
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2017, 16:53:32 »

perfect for us !  VCIF_ThumbUp

VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 17:38:14 »

perfect for us !  VCIF_ThumbUp

VCIF_salut
Well, she is short compared to U ;)
Honda NC700X DCT

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2017, 17:53:02 »
Dear Antonio
I remember with great love the Portugal group in the south of France camping near my tent. They were such wonderfull group, great spirit, I still use and cherish their presents.
Never mind what they say AT is a great bike I have it after 8 Varaderos and two CT, a month ago I rode 6,000 kms to Sweden with lots of luggage, enjoyed every moment and like it very much.
Hope to be tent neighbours in Andora next year.

pathfinder

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 00:02:56 »
Hi António

Welcome back!

The forum has changed quite a bit and is now open to Honda Adventure Riders of all kinds.  There are still changes being made to align the forum with its new theme of: Honda Adventure Riders

I understand what you say about the forum being more structured than social media sites.  It certainly is much easier to review the information you are interested in.

We currently have a poll running on the name for Honda Adventure Riders Meetings. Please feel free to vote at: http://honda-adventure-riders.com/index.php?topic=1600.0

best regards
James Mc
Former CVP member :)
Now in Canada :)

Hi James,

Missing the Algarve? I believe that certainly Canada will also have its charms  :). I already voted in the poll to choose a new name for the meetings, thank you.

Best regards,
António Pedro Amorim
(Pathfinder)
Previous: 2017 CRF1000L Africa Twin DCT; 2002 XL1000V Varadero; 2001 XL650V Transalp

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 00:34:31 »

Hi James,

Missing the Algarve? I believe that certainly Canada will also have its charms  :). I already voted in the poll to choose a new name for the meetings, thank you.

Best regards,

Yep!  I miss the dry roads and year round great riding conditions.  However Vancouver Island, BC and Canada has a lot to offer for ADV riding :) 

Thanks for voting!

Please feel free to post anything you wish in the Forum. Members of Honda Adventure Riders Forum will be pleased to learn of your experiences.  How busy is CVP these days?
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

pathfinder

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2017, 01:38:27 »
Welcome back!

I have had all, Vara, CT and now AT so maybe I can help you decision. What kind of riding are you doing?

Hi Jyrays,

Despite having participated in an event that toured the tracks of the old Dakar in Portugal, I consider myself an amateur off roader :). Smooth with the bike and the physics (I'm no longer a child ...). My trips are mostly made by road, sometimes with short incursions on dirt roads.

In the past I have had the opportunity to do a short test-drive with the CT and more recently another with the AT. The latter one left me a great impression and desire for a longer experience. Lighter than the Varadero, maneuverable, nervous engine, with a power reserve similar to that of Varadero.

From the CT I remember the power of the engine and... the weight. I do not care about the weight in motion because, at least in the Varadero, we do not feel it and I believe that with the CT it will be the same. I'm not a very big person (1,74cm/90kg), so parking maneuvers and putting it on the main stand may be a concern.

In fact, I believe that the CT could be more dedicated to my type of use, but the idea of having a lighter bike with similar power as the Varadero, pleases me.

Am I wrong?

Regards,
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 11:43:45 by zebulon »
António Pedro Amorim
(Pathfinder)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2017, 01:46:48 »
Hi, Pedro.

Welcome back.

No it is not. The AT is perfect for two riders other than the rear suspension. The seat is nearly 7cm longer than the Crosstourer and is the same length as the Varadero.
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

pathfinder

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2017, 02:11:38 »
Welcome back Pedro ! surely we meet again in Andorra on your new bike; My opinion is AT is the closer to Varadero's spirit, make the job perfectly; riding with pillion and luggages, on nice scenery ; and much much better & easier on off-road purpose! the perfect bike for me with more then 23000 kms in a little bit then one year  VCIF_salut

Hi Zebulon,

Great pic. Unfortunately, AT in digital silver is no longer for sale. The Tricolor and CRF Rally remains (I don't like matt black nor candy red).

I have good memories of the VCIM in the Aveyron area. The meeting in Andorra may be a possibility. We'll see.

Regards,

António Pedro Amorim
(Pathfinder)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal