Author Topic: Help needed on AndroidCar&GoogleMaps  (Read 833 times)

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
Help needed on AndroidCar&GoogleMaps
« on: March 01, 2024, 20:26:51 »
Hi all!

I must admit that despite a 40+ years experience in programming...I am a total novice in Android and that kind of stuff. I had my first cell phone back in 2016 and I began to use GoogleMaps a couple of years ago...

So I'd appreciate very simple answers to my questions, answers addressed to a total novice...

I'd want the screen of my AT1100 '23 to be like that of a gps alone. I don't want it to tell me that a whatsapp message or a phone call or an SMS has arrived... Neither I want it to keep complaining all the time for a non bluetooth connected head set whenever anything (like loss of signal) happens...

Please, is this possible? What should I do?

Thank you very much!

Josep

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: Help needed on AndroidCar&GoogleMaps
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2024, 22:26:14 »
google maps is not a GPS, it can bring you on a point you've decided (with 2 or 3 choices sometimes) but do not follow a way you've beforehand calculated/choosen; seems you've 13 pages on an other forum  ;)  VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2024, 13:04:29 »
Well, you can add a number of intermediary step so that the route becomes like you wish.
I think there is a way to create your specific route, but I don't know how.
I use it to bring me to specific spots along a route I can see on a paper map  ::)

Anyway, thank you for the liens to this other forum fils  ;D

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2024, 13:46:26 »
I don't think there is a real substitute for a separate GPS unit designed for motorcycles. I have used a Garmin Zumo for years now and have just mounted it on my new bike.

The trend for larger TFT screens on newer bikes make finding a suitable mounting location more difficult, especially for those of shorter stature who still want to be able to see the road ahead.

I changed cars recently and switched from a Mercedes to a Nissan.
The Mercedes GPS was very good.  The Nissan has Nissan Connect, Apple CarPlay and Google Auto.  It only took a couple of days for me to get annoyed with Google Auto and disable it (I don't have an IPhone).
The Nissan Connect GPS is base on TomTom which is OK but doesn't show you enough detail when zoomed out. It would be nice for that to be an option setting.

If I had one wish for the Zumo (or any Motorcylcle GPS) it would be for a handlebar mounted or voice activated zoom control.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2024, 18:04:02 »
I've mounted too my Garmin on the CRF (2020) used it a few time, last time was both with CarPlay/Osmand to go to VIM Poland ; last travel to Ireland was only Osmand (now I 'm able to manage it ) - I have the Zumo in the top case in case  ;D but never use it now ; how it is comfortable to have the right tool on the right place !  VCIF_ThumbUp managing offroad trips in differents OSMaps with curves, track difficulties etc ...

I think Osmand is also available for Android, but not sure for Android auto; have a lot of friends who have bought tablet, and mount on the bike to have large screen with GPS

I still prepare my trips on Basecamp and hop via Dropbox in Osmand the perfect way, I think

Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal