The Varadero International Meeting (VIM) - where riders of our forum meet > VIM19-2017; June 2 - June 5, Gotland, Sweden

Jack Diary to VIM19

(1/4) > >>

Jack Sawdayee:
                                   Date Thursday    18/05/2017
Pre-travel diary
The motorcycle meeting takes place in Sweden a link to the site
Http://vim19.com/wp/sample-page/what-is-vim /
This diary I want to start with thanks:

Israeli motorcycle club chairman Aliko for his support, encouragement and club logo gift to VIM19 participants, Ayal and Or Witkowski for the shield that would be a wonderful gift for the motorcycle club members particiopating at VIM19.

Honda motorcycle company, Amir, Tal, Or, Sharon, Michael, Dganit for the good feeling I get every time I'm there, and the free replacement of motorcycle tires and checking the bike for the journey.

Roznfeld Shipping Company, wonderful Alicia,  Rashid, Rami Oren for their warm services for the last 15 years.
To my wife for the great suffering she has to deal with for the trip and for Moshe Maron who agreed to travel with him on this journey.

Towards the trip:

The question is repeated every year, why do I bother to participate in this journey. Difficulty, difficulty, difficulty, and over the years only more difficulty.

Every year I prepare things to load a week before the cruise and leave me sleepless for a whole week. This time I decided to make it easy on  myself and start the preparations a month before the trip, the result is a month of sleepless nights.
This is the first time I go abroad on my new motorcycle Africa Twin  so the equipment loading procedure for the trip has not  yet passed the reality test, which increases my anxiety. In addition on my previous bike trips the luggage was put into a suitcase-type multi-gear ORTLIEB   X-TREMER XXL 150-liter capacity. A huge and extremely strong suitcase that I put in the back seat of the motorcycle.

This does not allow taking a passenger behind.
Last year I saw a Swedish friend at the VIM18 meeting Magnus  Somberg  with two suitcases over the original suitcases of the motorcycle on the sides. With this arrangement you can take either a he rider or a she rider in the back. I decided to adopt this type of loading and ordered two smaller suitcases type  Ortlieb with the capacity of 80 liters each, the suitcases arrived and my impression is that they are not strong enough and could rupture, so I bought fabric luggage in which I put these suitcases.
Also inspired by Magnus, I bought two chairs, a table and a bed that can be folded into very small suitcases.

I constantly receives warnings from the internet meeting site about  temperature that might be less that 5 degrees. Therefore the original large suitcase of the motorcycle was filled with clothing including thermal clothes, it was difficult to close the bag and was very heavy. I am afraid that the suitcase might not withstand the weight of the suitcase itself with the addition of a suitcase over it.

The original small suitcase of the motorcycle was barely enough to carry the  electricity and stove fuel gas.
After loading the equipment on the motorcycle, The Bike looks so heavy that I was afraid to get on. After a few moments of relaxation and coffee drinking I got enough courage to ride the bike and drive out of the  the parking lot, at first difficult to control until you get used to it.

Wednesday, 18/05/2017  I previously made appointment with Moshe Maron my travel partner to meet at 7:30 pm at Hasira gas station in Herzliya  to travel to Haifa to the office of the shipping company Rosenfeld.
7: 05 I'm on the bike Moshe calls where you are. We went together to Haifa, with Moshes leading, gas filling at a station before the entrance to Haifa.
At the entrance of the shipping company were six  Africa Twin Israeli motorcycles like mine,  5 BMuu  And 5 German and Russian bikers. It gives a good feeling that you are not the only crazy one and there are more motorcycle lunatics sharing with you.

At the office of the shipping company Rosenfeld about an hour for the preparation of  papers, one direction charge to Greece of  1,400 NIS about 400 Euro for shipping the motorcycle only.
Entrance to the port of Haifa payment of 260 ILS  management charge for the port, then a convoy of 20 motorcycles to the Customs Office.

20 bikers sat waiting for the customs officials. 8 custom officials sat in front of us doing nothing and only one bald old official (younger than me) deals with us bikers.

This process goes like that, One biker sits in front of the clerk, the clerk takes the motorcycle license paper, lifts up the glasses, approach the paper to his eyes and read the first number of the bike chassis number of the motorcycle, returns the glasses back, searches for the number on the computer keyboard, knocking the number on the keyboard picks up the glasses to catch the second number, the same for the motorcycle plate number and the engine number. The process takes about a quarter of an hour, according to my calculations, 20 motorcycles will take five hours to finish the process " long live the bureaucracy". A chubby she clerk at his side awakes from her meditation to shout at us not to talk on the  mobile phone and returns to meditation. So this is how we spent there a few hours. Then to the ferry in a convoy of 20 motorcycles.

Back home traveling by train paying 8.50 NIS for being a senior citizen and from the central train station, a minibus ride close to myhouse is 6.50 NIS.

MrKiwi:
See you soon, safe travels and have fun.

Jyrays:
Welcome, maybe our roads cross in Denmark, Sweden :)

Skye:
Go Jack!!!

Two Plugs:
Looking - very much - forward meeting you again, Jack!
Shalom and ride safe!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version