Author Topic: My dirty little secret... Resurrection of two Varadero's  (Read 3549 times)

Strey1100

• HAR Member
Ok, confession time.  Having attended the latest VIM, it renewed my love affair with the mighty Varadero.  My dirty secret is, I have two in the dark recesses of my garage.  One hasn't been ridden in 7 years and the other has sat for 9 perhaps 10 years.   :-X... Lots of "excuses" but the fact is I would like to get them both roadworthy.  One is a 1999 model (carbs) and the other is a 2006 (fuel injected) model.  They have both been started periodically, but neither have been ridden any further than down the street and back.  While both are difficult to start, the carb model is easier to start over the injected one.  I quit riding the 99 model when I got the 06 (injected) model.  The 06 model got parked when it got "unreliable" with starting issued.  I believe the 06 starting issue was a fault with the antenna for the HISS system around the ignition key.  I have found another, but have not installed it.  My question to you good people is, "Where do I start"... please remember the Honda dealers want nothing to do with the Varaderos as they never sold the bikes and have no computers or software to plug in the 06.  So... that's where I stand... FYI, in my defense, at the time I parked the last one, I was a tour guide for a U.K. Based company doing mostly Route 66.  I HAD TO HAVE a reliable bike... the 06 left me stranded in Kansas the last time I rode it, fortunately, AFTER the tour was over and I was headed home.  Ok, let's the flames begin (admonishment for ignoring the two beautiful bikes... BUT, please give,me some hints on where to get started... Thanks to all! Cheers...

SB

• Administrator
Re: My dirty little secret... Resurrection of two Varadero's
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2019, 00:17:30 »

For the Carb model I think you need to get the carbs off and get them cleaned/serviced, reinstalled and then set up. Anyone with a reasonable amount of experience and basic carb balancing tools could do this.
As long as its been kept reasonably dry an oil and brake fluid change is the only thing that would have to be done.

For the FI I think you need to tell us a bit more about exactly what replacement parts you have acquired. (the ECU and keys are paired).

Do you have access to The Honda OEM workshop manuals for both models ?

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 11:16:10 »
Hi Trey, my 1st XLV750 was stalled for several years at its previous owner. I changed the spark plugs and air / oilfilter, new oil, drained the old fuel, added a full bottle of KENT Europe Fuelguard II and refueled with premium fuel and took her for a long ride. The engine protested, burning all residue from the old fuel but since that moment, it never missed a beat. That little magic bottle really dit the trick! You could try this first, before taking the carbs apart. I would change the spark plugs on the SD01 for Iridium, as as they have been installed by Honda on the Fi models.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 11:21:37 by Two Plugs »
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

mr_diver

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 17:20:21 »
Oil and filter,
Air Filter (Checking mice/rats/wasps havent set up home)
Plugs
Tyres- most likely well past usable due to age hardening.
Battery charge (replace if needed)
Drain tank and fill with fresh fuel (a good dose of RedEx)
Strip and re-build of the brake system with full flush of the system.
Check and grease all wheel /chassis bearings and bushes.

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 11:52:17 »
Remember the advice (discussed many times in the forum) about the HISS-problem.
Turn the ignition key and press the start button immideately while the lamp still shines.
Unfortunately I didn't know that when my bike didn't start somewhere in GrossGlockner (with a lots of cars behind me)  ;)
See you deep in a German forest ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

VTwin

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 17:17:15 »
My 05 is in resurrection having been in storage for three years, I'm looking forward to getting back on the big old girl.  ;D

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 06:21:06 »
My Vara 09 has sat for over a year (due to Africa Twin, now 26k km)). I gave her a quick checkover a few days ago and she fired up first try!  I must admit that it felt very "emotional" (if a guy can confess to feelings). I've tried to sell her but few people even know what it is over here (Canada) and dealers aren't  interested. So, I guess she's a keeper! 
I'll do the valves/shims and other stuff this winter... maybe have a look at the clutch plates - any tips (95k km). No problem with clutch slip or drag, but she now makes a distinct "Ducati" noise in idle that goes away when lever is pulled in.
The Vara is a superb bike and I (almost) regret not keeping her running on the road... maybe next year?
Jasper lives on!
P.S. The HISS trick, as noted above, works!   This is the only issue I've had with the Varadero

KEEP THE VARADEROS RUNNING!
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal