Author Topic: Center/Main stand fitment  (Read 6156 times)

pngaudioguy

• XL1000VA/4
Center/Main stand fitment
« on: June 10, 2020, 22:30:17 »
Good evening everyone! It's been a few years since I was in here. My Varadero performed flawlessly the last :gulp: 4 years :gulp: while I was living in Virginia. Life became hectic between work and children and I seldom came here. Now I'm back in Belgium for a few more years, and once again have no access to a proper garage for maintenance. So I bit the bullet, and bought an OEM center stand from Boonstra Parts, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to fit it because it seems like no matter what I do it will interfere with the exhaust headers.

In other news, I've put VIM 2021 on my calendar for next year, and I'm hoping that this current virus situation keeps things locked down just enough that really large gatherings are cancelled so I can't work on long weekends, but not so much that small to medium gatherings can continue...

Does anyone have a good picture of how the center stand fits around the exhaust? I've spent several evenings on Google, and searching threads here and I give up.

Thanks in advance.

SB

• Administrator
Re: Center/Main stand fitment
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 12:37:02 »

Can you post some photo's of the centre stand ?

pngaudioguy

• XL1000VA/4
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 10:55:53 »
Here are some pictures as requested. If you need a different angle to figure out what it is, just let me know. As best I can tell from looking at online parts diagrams, it matches the factory version for this era (2004) Varadero. Thanks again for any assistance!

Bruvex

• Just Go!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 14:34:43 »
Hi pngaudioguy,

First of all welcome back.

I had an SW-Motech centre-stand on my varadero (2004) and I can't remember having problems mounting it.
If I remember correctly there are not much different manners for mounting it.
Should it be necessary you can download instructions on the SW Motech site.
Moto Guzzi V85tt

Prev.:CRF1000L DCT (2016) / BMuu R1200GS (2009) / Honda Varadero SD02 (end 2003) / Honda VFR 800fi / Yamaha Diversion 900 / Yamaha XJ900 / Honda Shadow 600c

VIM 12/13/14/15/16/17/18/19/20/23

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2020, 22:24:52 »
Hope you have the spring. Have a look here
 VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

pngaudioguy

• XL1000VA/4
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2020, 23:20:24 »
Thanks for the links and suggestions. Yes, I did buy the spring separately from CMSNL for a few euro as it didn't come with it. I guess I'll just have to go out there and give it a go. I held the parts up under the bike and it seems 95% like it's going to interfere with the muffler.

It'll be a few days I think before I can get to it, but if I get stuck, I'll upload pictures of what it's hitting (or upload pictures of it working.) Haha.

pngaudioguy

• XL1000VA/4
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 15:22:26 »
Well, it turns out that I was not visualizing correctly where the long bolt went. Once I took it apart I realized that it was replacing the existing engine mount bolt. No interference with the muffler.  VCIF_ThumbUp

I did have to disconnect the shifter linkage to get the old long bolt out and new longer bolt in, but that was fairly trivial. Also, a trip to the local hardware store was needed, because although the parts diagram indicates that both extra bolts are M10x55, there is absolutely no way the second left bolt should be that long. I picked up a M10x30, and that seems to be just about right.

Getting the spring connected took a few attempts before the screwdriver didn't slide off the post, but hey, it's on there and it works great. Now I have no excuse for my negligence with chain lubrication...  :o

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2020, 15:51:40 »
Getting the spring connected took a few attempts before the screwdriver didn't slide off the post, but hey, it's on there and it works great.

Like all things there is an easy and a hard way to do it :

https://honda-varadero-uk.org/Wiki/doku.php?id=frame_and_body:centre_stand_spring

pngaudioguy

• XL1000VA/4
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2020, 16:24:43 »
That method is genius! Filed away for the next time I have to put a spring like that on something.  VCIF_ThumbUp

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 11:41:08 »
Getting the spring connected took a few attempts before the screwdriver didn't slide off the post, but hey, it's on there and it works great.

Like all things there is an easy and a hard way to do it :

https://honda-varadero-uk.org/Wiki/doku.php?id=frame_and_body:centre_stand_spring

Who have lots of coins these days  ;) ;D
See you deep in a German forest ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2020, 18:31:34 »
Who have lots of coins these days  ;) ;D

If you don't have a jar of old coins these are cheaper than plasters for grazed knuckles .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENNY-REPAIR-WASHERS-A2-STAINLESS-STEEL-FOR-BOLTS-AND-SCREWS-M4-M5-M6-M8-M10-M12/163939882420?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal