Author Topic: Mivv Exhausts  (Read 5306 times)

Sunscape

• Black 2008 ABS
Mivv Exhausts
« on: August 02, 2015, 00:05:46 »
After spending some time moping about looking at various options for some shiny new cans to go on the bike, I finally took the plunge with a set of Mivv carbon offerings from a dealer in Italy at a price of about 540 Euros  (£389)  - http://www.emlineamoto.com/en/h-036-lec.html

My only expectations were to hope they gave a more pleasing rumble and were easy on the eye.  Upon ordering, the site showed the units as in stock but I suspect that given the labels on the box that arrived, they were ordered from Mivv on demand after my order was placed with the dealer.  From ordering to delivery took two weeks but as I was saving over £200 on the prices quoted by UK dealers, it was not a concern.  The dealer was responsive to my queries and I was notified when the package was dispatched and given a tracking number.    The exhausts arrived well packaged and in good order.  The first surprise on being handed the box by the courier was how light it was!  I had visions of an empty box and hours on the phone listening to holding music waiting for a customer service rep.  After rummaging through much packaging I had accounted for all the parts and found myself weighing the cans in each hand, still slightly puzzled by their feather like quality.

Fitting took about two hours with most of the time working out how to get the pannier frames off and then how to get the old exhausts out.  The frames for the panniers required some creative twisting to get them over the plastics. Removing the old one piece exhaust on each side required removal of two securing bolts and the clamp, but to actually get the exhaust out needed removal of the lower heat shield.  To remove the heat shield required first loosening the old exhaust and maneuvering it slightly so I could undo the lower allen bolt through a hole.  The process went relatively smoothly.  The new exhausts were much easier to put in and took about 10 minutes.  I decided to reverse the sides the cans were meant to go on as I am not a big fan of labels on everything.   I left the DB killers in place.  These are secured with a rivet by the manufacturer but could easily be removed with a Dremel and the rivet replaced with a grub screw or something similar.  I would however recommend waiting before you get the Dremel out.   Fitted, I stood back and admired my handy work.  The first box was ticked.  The new look was just what I wanted.

I was expecting my next job to be to remove the DB killers to get the balanced sound level and bass I was after.  The videos I had listened to on Youtube seemed little different to a standard set of cans with the killers in.   However, pressing the start button ticked the second box with a nice low rumble and with the noise level louder, but not enough to fall out with the neighbors.  At this point I was very happy with the purchase and still legal.

The first ride out was another surprise for me.  I had no expectations of a change in performance but there was noticeable difference in pickup between 2K-5k revs.  Noise levels while cruising were quiet but with the new bass undertone.  Opening the throttle, produced a welcome throaty roar.

I have now done a few hundred miles including some motorway runs and I am still very happy with the outcome.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 22:28:18 by Sunscape »

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: Mivv Exhausts
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 08:47:25 »
Nice !  VCIF_ThumbUp just pictures missing now  ;D
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:08:15 »
 8) Beautiful - thanks for sharing
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

Jokern

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 16:15:19 »
Looks very nice  VCIF_ThumbUp
Here is mine, but i have the MIVV decal to show  VCIF_salut

And here you cant see the MIVV decal  VCIF_ok

Psst... db killer is 4 kids  VCIF_a055 VCIF_a055 VCIF_a055 VCIF_a062 VCIF_a062
www.jokern.eu
Instagram : jokerns_place
Everyday is a Honda(y)
------------------------------------------------------------

Sunscape

• Black 2008 ABS
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 16:13:00 »
I am tempted to get the Dremel out and see what they sound like without the DB killers but that would make sneaking out on a Sunday morning more likely to get noticed. 

Did you find any performance change when you put them on?    Did you make the big foot for your side stand?

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 22:04:35 »
They look excellent. The carbon fibre black really suits the looks of the dark coloured bike. The twin motor sounds really good with aftermarket exhaust. I've got the Leo Vince SBKs on mine and it growls nicely without being obnoxious. That's a pretty reasonable price for the kit, too.
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

dwardu

• HAR Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 16:39:44 »
Do the MIVV exhaust link pipes require the thick round gaskets to fit to the stock headers?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal