Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer - Honda's biggest Adventure Tourer > Crosstourer riders experiences

Yet another set of thoughts about a Crosstourer DCT: mine

(1/4) > >>

JosepM:
Hello friends,

first of all, let me thank you all for your compliments about my new bike.  :)

Now I am in my third tank, so my thoughts about her will probably be more educated.  ;D

This amazing DCT.
-I had the chance to have a ride in "my" road (for the record TV-7041) and found that, in S mode, the little dwarfs inside switch gears almost exactly the way I would.
-In D mode, I find that gears are switched very often in city riding. I mean that the bike goes from 1st to 4th or even more very soon, just to switch down again to 1st in the next traffic light.
-In D mode, again, it has the tendency to tackle the roundabouts in 4th or 5th. Switching manually down to 3rd helps me to do them at the engine regime I feel comfortable with.
-I have ridden almost 500000 km with a foot gear lever. So, instead of reeducating my instincts, I ordered this foot lever accessory. And I am very happy with it, even if, for some reason, switching gears with it is noisier than with the handlebar switches.  ???
-For some reason, by using the rear brake and not only the front brake, the dwarfs are more aware that you want one gear down.

Here is an important question. Why should an experienced rider like me willingly pay for a DCT? After all, it's a technology that increases weight and does what I can perfectly do, even better, just by myself. Laziness? The appeal of all new technologies? Comfort in city and/or motorway? Having the left hand free to cover the low morning sun?
Or another one: the bike won't stall because of an accidental, unwanted release of the clutch or because of a regime let go too down with a cold engine.

Weight.
What weight?  ;D
Compared to the Varadero, I'd say its weight is definitely lower and much more centered. As a result, she doesn't feel so heavy, and she feels more agile in curves than a Vara (which in comparison kinda feels like you have to persuade the rear part of the bike to enter the curve when your front part is already out  ;) )

Suspension.
I don't feel it soft, at all. I rather feel it as harder and more road biased than my Varadero's. Good asphalt welcome!

Brakes.
Somewhat more power than on Vara. Specially rear, which is good news for me, because I use it often and the DCT bulk doesn't allow me to use my heel as I used to do with the Vara when I wanted it to really brake.

Wind protection.
Definitely worse. I ordered Honda's tall screen, which suits perfectly my height; however, its side cuts leave an air stream free to reach my shoulders. Legs and feet are unprotected too, despite the deflectors I too ordered.

Engine.
Good. More power delivered, but gentle. And no vibration.
On the other hand, unlike many, I prefer as little noise as possible, so this nice deep sound of her silencer is something I'd better be without.

Luggage.
While I was waiting for a Givi top case holder, I decided to use the no longer extensible Honda top case, a small one made with thin plastic and bulky lock inside, which I was forced to take. To add insult to injury, someone had fastened the bolts not tightly enough and I lost the case in the middle of a roundabout at rush hour!  :o :o Luckily, no one was injured (not even the case beyond some minor scratches).

Dashboard.
I am the old fashioned guy who prefers needles (is this the word?) to figures or tiny black bars on a screen. So give me 100 times the two spheres of a Varadero, that let me know instinctively how fast I am riding or how high the regime is.
On the other hand, there are again two buttons to control an increased number of capabilities. Setting the correct time, for instance, needs to switch the bike on while pushing the two buttons! Good news is that there is an air thermometer, a fuel gauge, and a "km left countdown" when it goes into reserve mode.

Well, I must go.  :)

Greetings to all,

Josep

Varareco:
Thanks for your review. I'm considering the DCT as my next bike after my Vara. I was a little disappointed to read that even with taller screen and the deflectors it dos't offer much protection  :(   

JosepM:

--- Quote from: Varareco on January 08, 2016, 18:01:15 ---Thanks for your review. I'm considering the DCT as my next bike after my Vara. I was a little disappointed to read that even with taller screen and the deflectors it dos't offer much protection  :(

--- End quote ---

You're welcome!
One month and 1500 km later, I have a Givi top case, I have ordered a set of bar risers, I may be replacing the seat, and have the rear suspension readjusted.

About wind protection, I guess it depends on what kind of bike you come from. It is not bad, at all (I ride with the helmet screen open), it's just that Vara's is better. To balance, it'd probably be enough with a suitable aftermarket wider screen and a good pair of trousers (I am the silly kind of rider who usually wears jeans).

In many senses (weight placement, engine response, aerodynamics, overall size,...) I'd say a CT is sort of a trail-router bike (this'd be a Vara) with a bit of a sports flair, so to speak.

And I don't regret a bit having replaced my Vara with her. I am not saying that CT is better, I am saying that after 214000 km together, I was feeling that my time of Vara rider were over, even if a Vara beats a CT in a number of aspects IMO.

Greetings,

Josep

Varareco:
Thanks Josep  VCIF_ThumbUp

Jyrays:
Josep,

I agree all the stuff you said, although I have experience on NC DCT only.

Wind protection and seat are worse than Vara. Did you notice even front suspension is adjustable? You can really make it soft if you like!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version