Author Topic: Sudden drop in engine speed in neutral  (Read 3515 times)

rafor

• HAR Member
Sudden drop in engine speed in neutral
« on: December 09, 2015, 16:19:19 »
Hi to All of You,
Hello,
Has anyone faced a similar problem? When the engine is running with idle speed – neutral gear, the engine revolution drops down for a second. It happens quite often but there is no rule for that.  Sometimes it happens every few seconds, sometimes with longer periods. While riding everything comes back to normal.  I did a quick record in youtube…. Described shot and rev. drop  in 10, 30 and 58 second of film. I was thinking about the fuel pump …but have no experience with such problem…
Spark plugs new, valve clearance set, synchronization made, a new air filter.
Regards,
Rafal
link below:

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
Re: Sudden drop in engine speed in neutral
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 16:28:51 »
My varadero -08 does the same - make a misstroke now and then.
As you say - not so often.
If it comes when I shift gear - especially from first to second - the engine often stops.
I far as I have experienced, it has nothing to do with new or old spark plugs or air filter.
See you deep in a German forest ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

rafor

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 17:20:25 »
My varadero -08 does the same - make a misstroke now and then.
As you say - not so often.
If it comes when I shift gear - especially from first to second - the engine often stops.
I far as I have experienced, it has nothing to do with new or old spark plugs or air filter.

Hi,
So what did you do to solve it?
Cheers,
Rafał

Varastorm

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 21:28:29 »
It sounds like a lean pilot mixture problem.

Honda, in an attempt to cure the dismal fuel economy really leaned off the mixture on the FI Varadero.

I have had this problem also, when adjusting my carbs to the point of being too lean in an attempt to get better fuel economy.

I don't own a fuel injection model like yours, mine's an early carbed model, so I am unsure how to help you correct it. You might have to take it to a Dyno operator to correct it.

There is one thing that can cause this issue & that's the fitting of a free flow filter, K&N or Pipercross etc.

Over on the VTR.org (UK Firestorm site) fitting one is an absolute no no.

Here is a clip with someone else experiencing a similar "Carb Fart" problem.

! No longer available

Initially Honda fitted a #45 pilot jet in the VTR carbs, but it gave similar low speed running issues, so they then fitted richer #48 pilots. This small increase in the low speed fueling eliminated all the low speed running issues.

Hope it helps  ;)

Aerios

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 22:38:24 »
Starter valves maulfunction can cause idle problems. First start with a synchroniztion of them. You can do it by yourself if you have some Knowledge and the tool of course.

rafor

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 22:47:44 »
Starter valves maulfunction can cause idle problems. First start with a synchroniztion of them. You can do it by yourself if you have some Knowledge and the tool of course.

Hi,
Starter valve synchro has already been done as the fuel consumption was approx 9-10 liters:). Now it came back to normal approx. 7 liters.
One guy on Polish VCP did experience the same problem caused by failed fuel pump.
Cheers,
Rafał

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 03:09:36 »
Hi,
So what did you do to solve it?
Cheers,
Rafał

I didn't solve it.
It's not a big problem, and "all" Varadero's do like this.

See you deep in a German forest ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 05:23:27 »
My 2009 sometimes misses a beat in idle...no big issue. I have K&N filter and Leo Vince pipes...no problems (including fuel economy) ...even when the dB killers are removed. Engine breathes freely and the happy goblins (apparently I do have some :) ) seem to take care of everything!
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

rafor

• HAR Member
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 00:41:44 »
My 2009 sometimes misses a beat in idle...no big issue. I have K&N filter and Leo Vince pipes...no problems (including fuel economy) ...even when the dB killers are removed. Engine breathes freely and the happy goblins (apparently I do have some :) ) seem to take care of everything!

Dear Jasper,
It looks my goblins did run away a long time ago:)
Will leave my Vara in the thrust shop and get back with info what the problem was.
I had a lot of bikes before Varadero ( mostly Kawasaki and Triumph) and never had so many problems until now... Maybe it is only a bad luck:).

Varabien 76

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 07:41:51 »
this may just be a pipe stuck in the tank
or when a problem on the very rare case dci but deja arrives
not easy to help you, I do not understand the English and with google translate, c is not obvious

good courage

i look this post

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 08:00:47 »
Thank you Didier for the help,;  VCIF_salut nothing on a Varadero is strange for Didier  VCIF_ThumbUp
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 15:52:48 »
Rafor: what YOM (Year of Manufacturing) is your Varadero? Would help to get a possible solution... It can difference from year- to year, even with the fuel injection models.
What kind of fuel are you using? Premium (+98 or higher) or normal (+95 or less)

The lean settings of (a poor) fuel mixture has been mentioned above, but the big Varadero V-twin is sensitive for high octane (premium) fuels.
It does run a lot smoother than f.e. on normal 95 fuel.
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

rafor

• HAR Member
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2016, 23:48:31 »
Rafor: what YOM (Year of Manufacturing) is your Varadero? Would help to get a possible solution... It can difference from year- to year, even with the fuel injection models.
What kind of fuel are you using? Premium (+98 or higher) or normal (+95 or less)

The lean settings of (a poor) fuel mixture has been mentioned above, but the big Varadero V-twin is sensitive for high octane (premium) fuels.
It does run a lot smoother than f.e. on normal 95 fuel.

Hi,
I always use normal 95 gas. Moto manufactured in 2004. I have just noticed that problem one day and can not link it with any particular change/repair etc...It just happened.
Was also thinking about the high voltage cables and coils.
Have not started checking yet.
Regards,
Rafał

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 05:20:30 »
Check the three hose connections under the gas tank......maybe?

Re: higher octane fuels I've tried running on higher octane fuels for a period of time really can't measure or feel any difference. I'd like to think so but... For sure YMMV!   (OK Zebulon?)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 07:11:38 by Jasper »
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal