Author Topic: After market screen  (Read 6148 times)

MartinDT

• HAR Member
After market screen
« on: July 04, 2016, 21:57:41 »
Has anyone tried a replacement screen for their Crosstourer other than the Honda touring screen? I don't find the Honda touring screen too bad but I have been able to improve wind noise and buffeting on previous bikes I had with the likes of the MRA Vario screen. Has anyone tried one perhaps?
Always heading for the mountains.

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
Re: After market screen
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 10:19:01 »
As I am rather short (1.78), the large one by Honda does its job for me.
I remember reading that MRA does well for most people, that Puig needs a spoiler and that Givi Airflow is a good choice for taller bikers.

Good luck,

Josep

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 17:10:31 »
I was "happy" with the Honda touring screen.
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 22:37:28 »
Not sure it can help, but had MRA on both last Varas , and yes it was wonderful. Not sure it is the best on the AT... Better then the original , but not sure it is as good as on the vara
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

MartinDT

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 00:24:23 »
Thanks guys.
I decided to go for the GIVI Airflow after reading quite a few good reviews on another website. Ordered one today so will report back when I've received it and done a few miles. My expectations are high.

MartinDT

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 16:03:17 »
I’ve fitted my Givi Airflow screen yesterday and can give the following report:

Firstly what did I not like about my Honda Touring screen? Well, mainly the buffeting at virtually any speed (except very slow of course). Also I ride with a full face helmet (Shoe Neotech) but I like riding with my visor fully open. This caused wind noise. I also had to keep the vents on top of my helmet closed because when open it added greatly to the noise (unbearable on long journeys).

With the Airflow these problems are completely solved. No more buffeting!! Open visor tested up to 130 km/hour with no noise. Just what I wanted.
I would rate the Honda Touring screen 5/10 and the Airflow 8.5/10
I still feel the wind on my arms and a little on my chest at Autobahn speeds but that’s fine with me as I except that as part of the motorcycle riding experience.

So in conclusion money well spent. I can recommend it.

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 19:16:48 »
Thanks for this valuable info Martin!
As far as arms is concerned, I believe that CT screen must be closer to the handlebar than Vara's is. So any CT screen has to be narrower than one for a Vara. Thus arms are less protected against the wind.
Again not a major problem but a detail that could've been done better.

Josep

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 20:24:55 »
And here's me going for cut down screens so I can feel the wind on my body... :p
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

MartinDT

• HAR Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 21:21:04 »
I've been on a long ride today (5 hours) and have two more observations to share.

With my helmet visor closed my journey is now a lot quieter. It's as if I've bought a new super quiet helmet. I've never rated the Neotec a quiet helmet before and was even considering buying a Schubert!! Little did I realise the noise problem lay with the Honda screen.
As previously stated, there is still quite a bit of wind pressure on my chest and upper arms. This is good as it causes a mild windblast at exactly the two upper vents (with zip closures) of my jacket. So when I open these vents I get a much improved cooling effect if I choose to. I real bonus for when summer finally arrives in Wales.

I'm definitely glad I made this change before my 4,000 km tour of the Alps in two weeks time. No buffeting means less fatigue. VCIF_ThumbUp

TiuSo

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 09:35:17 »
I put some 3 mm washers under the OEM touring screen attachment points --> very good to me (but I am only 1.74 ...). Previously had 5 mm rubber washers on lower attachment places and none on upper points, it worked also (for me).

Haegar

• VFR 1200 X DCT SC76
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 20:25:21 »
With a body size of 196 cm, I do not think of such long wind screens. For me, every bike is a naked bike.

The left to the salutation
Everything goes - nothing has to happen !

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 20:39:20 »
With a body size of 196 cm, I do not think of such long wind screens. For me, every bike is a naked bike.

The left to the salutation

a lot of people here are over 2.00 m and they all have ride Deros in good conditions with after market screens  VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal