Honda XL1000V Varadero - The bike that started our community! > Varadero service and maintenance tips

Rinse the forks?

(1/2) > >>

Nysse:
I am going to change the oil in the forks. I am not dismantlig them. Should I rins the inside with something?

Jasper:
Interesting question, maybe someone can suggest something?
I don't know what fluid would be compatible for cleaning and rinsing the internal parts as some of it will certainly remain inside.
I assume you know there no drain plug at the bottom of the fork? You will need to remove the forks from the steering yoke.

If the fluid is still clean then I suppose you could let it drain, refill with fork oil (if you have a cheap source!) then drain and refill as per specifications for your model year & fork type

I'd suggest that you be prepared to find some dirty oil in one or both forks especially if it's the first time....this usually means you have a failed fork seal...so you'll need new seals. If you're reasonably mechanical then it's not a particularly hard job...just be patient.

Post again if you any more questions

Two Plugs:
I wouldn't rinse if the old forkoil is still clear. Maybe change the inner springs for progressive ones in the progress?  VCIF_ThumbUp

Nysse:
What is positiv with progressiv springs on a Varadero? Is it a "must" do thing?

V Saarela:
The dirt in bottom of the fork is often very stuck in the bottom. Maybe itīs better to leave it there ......

I think......when rinsing, the dirt might loose and will stuck in the forks channels instead. So, I only rins and clean when changing seals and the forks are in parst.

About the positive with progressive dampers nysse, some of the reasons, there are more: http://39833.shop.textalk.se/stotdampare-fjadring/fram/honda/xl1000va-varadero-hyperpro-progressiva

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version