Author Topic: AT Tires  (Read 139345 times)

Maritimer

Re: AT Tires
« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2017, 17:59:50 »
I can't see that as normal. You should check with your dealer / distributor about those tire. I have never seen any tires wearing like that.
Besides that, great road trip report. Thanks.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2017, 20:44:30 »
yeah, strange and perhaps dangerous ...  :(
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2017, 23:33:40 »
I sent a photo of my front tyre to my local dealer who has in turn sent to the country importer of the tyre for their assessment.

Now to wait and see if I get a sensible reply.
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2017, 23:53:26 »
The Metzeler Tourance has a reputation for something similar but between the tread blocks.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2017, 01:59:14 »
Well that was quick. A reply came back overnight. The tyre is being replaced.
MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2017, 12:28:32 »
Well that was quick. A reply came back overnight. The tyre is being replaced.

VCIF_ThumbUp  VCIF_ThumbUp   VCIF_ThumbUp nice service and good to know !  ;)
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Maritimer

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2017, 13:24:28 »
I agree, great service. I bet it could be a safety issue.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2017, 03:55:12 »
The question for me now is do I swap for a new TKC 70 or do I try something else?  Need to make my mind up...
MrKiwi

varonda

• AT rallye colours -- a.k.a. grandpa grumpy
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2017, 16:19:51 »
 If you've been happy with the performance of the tkc 70 give a new one a whirl as the problem could just have been a one off . If it occurs again then put something else on that way you're not mixing brands.  VCIF_a_008 VCIF_varaGrey
If the truth fits---wear it !!!!

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2017, 23:21:37 »
I've often mixed brands, have no issue with that.

I may try the tkc70 again though, I do like the tyre.
MrKiwi

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2017, 17:47:14 »
Read all this and very interested, however I'd like to know what mileage the different tires do !?

Planing 7000 Km this summer in scandinavia, I swaped the terrible D610 for conti TA2, love the grip and confidance they give me, but judging the wear
after 1500 Km, they won't last more than 4500 Km, so I need a tire set to last my whole scandinavian trip !

Looking forward to everyone's input  VCIF_ThumbUp

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2017, 23:47:23 »
TKC70's should last about 9000-10,000 kms reasonably easily.
MrKiwi

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #102 on: April 18, 2017, 04:40:21 »
I've been debating which tires to use for a cross-Canada ride this summer (about 15,000 kilometres return).

So far, I haven't really found any issues with the OEM tires on the Africa Twin. Ridden in snow, slush, mud, gravel and pavement no issues at all. Even rode through some wet oiled mucky side roads today without and issue - speed helped clear out the tires.

I've purchased a few tires (sitting in the garage to be mounted) and am deciding between:

Mitas E-07
Avon Trekrider (new tire)
Shinko 804/805

The Mitas and Shinko are highly recommended, the Avon are brand new and look more street compatible than the other two (also rated for 50/50 use). I think by reputation the only one that would make the entire journey is the Mitas. Can't make up my mind...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 18:21:33 by superfunkomatic »
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #103 on: April 18, 2017, 10:17:21 »
I've been debating which tires to use for a cross-Canada ride this summer (about 15,000 kilometres return).

So far, I have really found any issues with the OEM tires on the Africa Twin. Ridden in snow, slush, mud, gravel and pavement no issues at all. Even rode through some wet oiled mucky side roads today without and issue - speed helped clear out the tires.

I've purchased a few tires (sitting in the garage to be mounted) and am deciding between:

Mitas E-07
Shinko 804/805

The Mitas and Shinko are highly recommended, the Avon are brand new and look more street compatible than the other two (also rated for 50/50 use). I think by reputation the only one that would make the entire journey is the Mitas. Can't make up my mind...

But unfortunately I live in Switzerland and those are typical brands you never see here, i'm not sure my Honda dealership can actually get any of these.

I also should have added that I'm not a capable offroader, I'm going to take a dirt course to actually get some good technical bases, so for now I'll be
on asphalt except forest roads if needed, but nothing hairy !

As for the OEM tires, keep in mind the asphalt compositions are much different, in Canada than Switzerland and honestly I bought the test bike, so no
idea how old these tires were. But it was only under rain that the back would never have any grip.

By the way after discussing on the french AT forum, looks like for mostly road the best would be the Pirelli scorprion trail 2.

Found this insane review http://earth-roamers.blogspot.ch/2015/11/avon-trailrider-after-25000-km.html  VCIF_ok
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 15:32:02 by Djairouks »

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2017, 03:59:43 »

I'm not a real offroader either, at least not on this bike. I have another bike to pound on for trails and more dirty oriented stuff.
I'm quite content on this bike to do forest service roads, gravel and occasional trails.

If you're looking at the Pirelli Scorpions, I think you'll enjoy them. I've ridden on a set on a previous bike and really liked them. They are basically a sport touring tire with really good grip. They just don't last that long 7-8,000 kilometres for me on a heavy bike.

The Avon TrailRiders also get excellent reviews from BMuu riders on the big GS and they are similar to the Scorpions.

So far, I have really found any issues with the OEM tires on the Africa Twin. Ridden in snow, slush, mud, gravel and pavement no issues at all. Even rode through some wet oiled mucky side roads today without and issue - speed helped clear out the tires.

Mitas E-07
Shinko 804/805

But unfortunately I live in Switzerland and those are typical brands you never see here, i'm not sure my Honda dealership can actually get any of these.

I also should have added that I'm not a capable offroader, I'm going to take a dirt course to actually get some good technical bases, so for now I'll be
on asphalt except forest roads if needed, but nothing hairy !

As for the OEM tires, keep in mind the asphalt compositions are much different, in Canada than Switzerland and honestly I bought the test bike, so no
idea how old these tires were. But it was only under rain that the back would never have any grip.

By the way after discussing on the french AT forum, looks like for mostly road the best would be the Pirelli scorprion trail 2.

Found this insane review http://earth-roamers.blogspot.ch/2015/11/avon-trailrider-after-25000-km.html  VCIF_ok
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal