Author Topic: The way to Geiranger  (Read 91335 times)

eightyfive

• HAR Member
The way to Geiranger
« on: September 16, 2013, 01:26:37 »
Dear friends
I'm studying the possibility of participating in VIM16, but do not know the northern europe.
So I ask for your help. Did I can give an idea of the best route from Portugal to Norway?
I always go by road? or I have to get some ferry?
And can you give me an idea of prices ferryes, gasoline, tolls. Just to make a budget ...

thank you

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
Re: The way to Geiranger
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 02:51:15 »
Hi, Eightyfive.

Thank you for your interest in VIM16.
I visited Portugal with my Varadero last year.
Do you usually drive motorways, or do you prefer smaller roads?

When you come to northern Germany, you have to decide ferry or road.
I prefer to use a ferry between Germany and Norway, or between Denmark and Norway.
Otherwise you have to cross two quite expensive bridges, one in Denmark and another between Denmark and Sweden.
The cheapest ferries sails between Frederikshavn and Oslo (http://www.stenaline.nl/en/ferry) or between Hirtshals and Larvik (www.colorline.com)
Gasoline is almost the same in all countries, but Denmark is cheaper than Norway and Germany.
In Norway motorbikes don't pay road tolls and there are no road toll in Germany, Denmark or Sweden.

Good luck with your planning.
Erik
See you deep in a German forest ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:54:19 »
Set GPS satnav 'ON'
Set desination to 'Geiranger, Norway'
Set route preferences to 'AVOID MOTORWAYS' (Garmin)
Or
Set route preferences to 'Choose most curvy route' (TomTom)

Enjoy and be supriced!  ;D
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 10:41:24 »
I've crossed to the Scandinavian peninsula via:
-Hirtshals-Kristiansand ferry (which I recommend)
-Puttgarden-Rodbyhavn plus Helsingor-Helsingborg ferries (which I recommend too)
-Kobenhavn-Malmo bridge (which I don't recommend, because it is very expensive and makes you drive for a number of extra and boring km)

Whichever route you take, from Portugal to Denmark it must be some three days... So, perhaps it would be wise to take a ferry from Kiel to Oslo and save your poor bottom a few hundred km...

If you want any comment about the actual route from Portugal to Denmark or Kiel, I'd be happy to share what I've learnt from experience.

Good luck,

Josep

eightyfive

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 01:18:20 »
hi guys
Thank you for your tips, now is a great help.
needing to ask for more help.

Thanks.

Athanman

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 19:32:25 »
In deed very useful and interesting infos.

Mikeadero

• VFR 1200 XDCT Crosstourer
    • Crosstourer Belgium
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 22:35:21 »
Hi,

I'm busy planning the route to VIM16.

I'll be arriving through Kristiansand. Starting from Kristiandsand in the morning.
What route would you recommend from Kristiandsand to Geiranger (2 days)?

Mike

http://www.crosstourer.be

ZZR600 - Transalp - Varadero 2001 - Varadero 2007 and now VFR 1200 XDCT... the best bike until now !

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 00:00:00 »
Hi,

I'll be arriving through Kristiansand. Starting from Kristiandsand in the morning.

Mike

Head west to Stavanger and from Flekkefjord, follow Rd 44 west. At Sandnes,  turn north on Route nr. 13 and follow it the whole way up north. It is one of the most diverse and stunning routes I have riden in Norway.

The visitors centre near Lysefjord is a place which offers an excellent (and for Norwegian standards) affordable buffet restaurant; its on your right handside overlooking the 'Golden Gate' bridge to Forsand; just near the ferry port.

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 10:48:45 »
Hi,

Mike

Head west to Stavanger and from Flekkefjord, follow Rd 44 west. At Sandnes,  turn north on Route nr. 13 and follow it the whole way up north. It is one of the most diverse and stunning routes I have riden in Norway.

The visitors centre near Lysefjord is a place which offers an excellent (and for Norwegian standards) affordable buffet restaurant; its on your right handside overlooking the 'Golden Gate' bridge to Forsand; just near the ferry port.

Thanks Lord the W road from Kristiansand has now some overtaking third lanes here and there! I remember riding my Vara there (in 2004) being like a part of a caterpillar at some steady 60 km/h  ;)
I believe June must be different from July (my three times in Norway were in July), but anyway I believe one can have faster paces in some B roads than in those main roads near populated areas (f.e. Bergen-Voss).

If you have time, road 13 goes near the famous Preikestolen (some 2h walk up plus 2h walk down).

IMO, 99% roads in Norway are either beautiful or stunning. Michelin 1:1000000 map is OK to choose the main, and nicer, routes. But I too use one Freitag&Berndt 1:250000 for a comprehensive view of all roads: going from A to B through a Norwegian "too little to be in main maps" road is priceless IMO.  :)

Have a nice trip,

Josep

Madero

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 11:18:10 »

If you have time, road 13 goes near the famous Preikestolen (some 2h walk up plus 2h walk down).

;D

That's exactly what I had in mind Josep! I will probably attend this VIM together with my daughter (she'll be riding on her brandnew NC700!) and spend some days in Norway before reaching Geiranger. Planned a visit at the Preikestulencamping  ( http://www.preikestolencamping.com/ ) which lies next to the trail to Preikestulen.
I will work out a nice route to Geiranger using all the information posted in this topic. Really looking forward to this trip!

Regards,
Jos

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 13:14:56 »

;D

That's exactly what I had in mind Josep! I will probably attend this VIM together with my daughter (she'll be riding on her brandnew NC700!) and spend some days in Norway before reaching Geiranger. Planned a visit at the Preikestulencamping  ( http://www.preikestolencamping.com/ ) which lies next to the trail to Preikestulen.
I will work out a nice route to Geiranger using all the information posted in this topic. Really looking forward to this trip!

Regards,
Jos

Jos, congratulations for such a brave and "fatherloving" daughter!  ;) I am sure she must be beautiful as well  8)

The camping is not exactly at the

When I come back to Norway  ::) , I'll do my best to include in my route as many fjell areas as possible. Last July I went through Strynfjell route, plus 51 plus another unpaved one; that add to others I followed in the past.
Great landscapes and great views. Nicer tan fjords IMO. On the other hand, being Dutch, you must sure have looked for high roads  ;) (I mean to say that Dutch, and Danish, tourists are often found in the higher areas of Europe)

Regards,

Josep M.

Josep

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 13:52:27 »
I agree with Preikestolen, this is (if you are in the right fysical condition that is...  ;D ) a real must-do-hike there.

You can also decide to do Rd 13 on your way back from Geiranger, and something really spectacular is taking the ferry to Lyseboth (from Forsand). From Lyseboth, the road goes up an apr 600 m granite wall with spectacular hairpins. On the top there is an visitor centre, parked as an 'UFO' overseeing the Lysefjord.

From here, you can do one of the most spectacular hikes imaginable: To the famous Kjeragbolten:

Madero

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 18:42:20 »
 :)

Well, as a former mountaineer/hiker/seakayakker there will be more than enough attractive activities for me in Norway! No doubts about that!

But you won't find me standing on that Kjeragbolten unsecured however!
OMG!
 :o

Thanx for the replies guys!

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 21:54:04 »
Don't tell me that you've got fair of heights, Jos (cause I do...  ;) )

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2013, 20:23:46 »
I am studying to ways to come to VIM. One from south, and another one from East   ;D
Hope we see you there ...
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal