Author Topic: How to improve traffic on the Forum (Split from: Future of VIM)  (Read 2866 times)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
There is another problem. It seems to me, this forum in its current form, isn't attractive enough anymore to a wider audience. On the running topics there are only replies from either admins or the ussual suspects, where f.e the International Varadero FB Group is thriving with activity from a wider international public. Same movement is noticed with the new Africa Twin. A very large and active FB group.

You can make jokes about Social media and FB in particular, but its the World we are living in anno 2018... Will VIM continue for another 20 years? Will there be a 25th anniversary VIM? Its up to you out there.

As founder of our meeting I'm going to enlarge my orientation outside this forum to guarantee the existance of our meeting.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:44:51 by Two Plugs »
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Re: Re: The Future Of VIM!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 00:13:46 »
I have pulled out of the AT FB page due to the large number of aggressive and overly opinionated posters who focus more on decrying others than contributing to a health discussion.

A forum like this is worth it, albeit that it seems to be outdated. But then I am old school.

I would love to be able to host a VIM in NZ but with my current job that is impossible. I just would not have the time to organise it.

Recently I tried to organise a 5 day ride with a group of friends then a work issue arose and I had to pull out. So now I just do not offer to organise anything.
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2018, 08:41:17 »
I just would not have the time to organise it.

neither do I !!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

But then I am old school.

me too !!!  ;D
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2018, 09:15:16 »
During the winter I had several problems reaching the Forum when I'm sitting behind a proxy internet from work. It happened when immunfly was installed. Here I am, a trusted member and can't reach the website. Everytime I click on a topic I have to tick in, that I'm not a robot. I'm forced to use my phone to see whats going on and posting with that is not done by ease.

The war against spammers shouldn't effect the members to keep the forum alive and in my humble opinion I think this also scares new users away.

I'm starting with the index-page, there I see if there is any new postings. What a little annoying is that I have seen the same Admin selected topics that I have to scroll through for a couple of months. Active members also requires active admins.

A true fact is that a lot of members don't use computers any more. Should be easy to post and share from tablets and smartphones but it isn't
Thats why we today have the forum-dead. Facebook with its ease of uploading pictures, fast comment and likebuttons. Yes, but a topic is just active for one day, then you never find it again.

Forum must be integrated to the new platforms of internet surfing to attract. If its costs money, a few procent from the VIM attendence fee could solve that or a donate account with button. Also have a bigger server to host media, so it is easier to upload.

Attending to a VIM should be more press and play to the website. Today explaining to new members and guests how they should act just only comfuses.
If they are registered for a website doesn't mean that you are registered for the meeting and its to complicated as the system works now.

It needs improvement to fulfill the future of VIM

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 12:07:59 »
Facebook is great for posting images or comments that are then forgotten a few days after they appear.

The lack of structure on facebook makes it difficult to use in a group context for storing and accessing useful information. The lack of moderation or control make it a magnet for trolls or for people who just want to complain but never actually contribute anything.

A forum like this and Facebook are never going to be able to fulfill the same functions and I see no reason why they shouldn't compliment each other.

A few years back I spent a lot of time installing a link between this forum and facebook. No-one, not even the person that demanded it, used it. It's now been de-activated as it caused a lot of problems during system updates.

the International Varadero FB Group is thriving with activity from a wider international public.

13 posts (a few adverts and the rest mainly from the same people who post here) is hardly "Thriving" !

During the winter I had several problems reaching the Forum when I'm sitting behind a proxy internet from work. It happened when immunfly was installed. Here I am, a trusted member and can't reach the website. Everytime I click on a topic I have to tick in, that I'm not a robot. I'm forced to use my phone to see whats going on and posting with that is not done by ease.
The war against spammers shouldn't effect the members to keep the forum alive and in my humble opinion I think this also scares new users away.

Many employers try to limit the amount of time employees spend trawling the internet, they also tend to have much greater level of security and screening.  There are good reasons for that and  now that, as good europeans, we are all on board with GDPR it will only get worse. I have always accepted that any employer will try to limit internet access to anything they think is not work related and, if I want to access other things, I have to use my own device/connection.  (see more below on Android Access).

Attending to a VIM should be more press and play to the website. Today explaining to new members and guests how they should act just only comfuses.
If they are registered for a website doesn't mean that you are registered for the meeting and its to complicated as the system works now.

Remind me again what happened when you had the chance to show everyone how it should be done  !

Forum must be integrated to the new platforms of internet surfing to attract. If its costs money, a few procent from the VIM attendence fee could solve that or a donate account with button. Also have a bigger server to host media, so it is easier to upload.

see above re facebook integration.
A few years ago when I took over the hosting of this forum (following a hack and failure of the previous host) someone else made a decision and announced that there would be no sponsoring of this forum without even bothering to ask me.
The people who pay to attend VIM should not be expected to subsidise the hosting of this forum for others.

In 2017 I posted a link to the Photo Gallery  https://honda-adventure-riders.com/index.php?topic=1103.msg12913#msg12913 (which like this forum is hosted on a server that I pay for) and suggested that anyone who wanted to could "For a few Euros a year" have unlimited photo storage access. The majority of replies suggested that :

With all todays possibilities the Social Media offers, it had become far more easier to relink pictures to oud forum without stressing the servers capacibility.
And for the remaining few dinosaurs who don't use Social Media...: there are nummereaus (free) possibilities to host private galleries from where pictures can be relinked.

I'm starting with the index-page, there I see if there is any new postings. What a little annoying is that I have seen the same Admin selected topics that I have to scroll through for a couple of months.
Why would you always go to the index-page to see if there are any new posts !

In 2017 I posted a reply in a restricted area for a member who had difficulties accessing the forum via Android.
I , and many others, regularly check up on the forum using an android phone without any problems. I have re-posted the topic here https://honda-adventure-riders.com/index.php?topic=1763.msg20936#msg20936 .

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 20:51:48 by SB »

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 05:23:50 »
Hi SB

I can access the forum on my android phone but it is not a pleasant experience.

Other than that, I have no issues with the desk top version of the forum.
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 18:17:58 »
Active members also requires active admins.

Sure it is my poor English , but I do not understand what you mean ???

As said by Stewart most of the admins have to put their hands in meeting organisation these last years, and sorry journey are only 24 hours ...

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 12:50:12 »
Active members also requires active admins.

Sure it is my poor English , but I do not understand what you mean ???

As said by Stewart most of the admins have to put their hands in meeting organisation these last years, and sorry journey are only 24 hours ...
I guess you mean day, journey have another meaning in English  :D
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 13:54:03 »

I guess you mean day, journey have another meaning in English  :D

Sure my poor English  VCIF_a_008

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 09:39:34 »

Remind me again what happened when you had the chance to show everyone how it should be done  !
Had a "Nervous breakdown" autumn 2016 when stress and working hours took the energy out of me and I couldn't focus at all on sitting in front of the computer. Therefor I couldn't set it up but I can try to do it 2019 for the VIM21 if you give me the possibility.

I'm starting with the index-page, there I see if there is any new postings. What a little annoying is that I have seen the same Admin selected topics that I have to scroll through for a couple of months.

Why would you always go to the index-page to see if there are any new posts !
Indexpage provides new recent postings and topics no matter which thread they are related to.

Much easier to read out, especially from phone.

In the https://honda-adventure-riders.com/index.php you have a line with recent topics. Open it up press the (+) sign
If I use the forum board, I have to open every subforum to see what's new

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 10:01:33 »
Indexpage provides new recent postings and topics no matter which thread they are related to.
Much easier to read out, especially from phone.
In the https://honda-adventure-riders.com/index.php you have a line with recent topics. Open it up press the (+) sign
If I use the forum board, I have to open every subforum to see what's new

The index page shows everything including News images and a list of "Recent topics".

If you want to see any posts that you haven't read use the "unread topics" link https://honda-adventure-riders.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0  !

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 23:23:46 »
Great, that will be my new bookmark

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 09:38:56 »
Happy to notice that my posting has stirred some kind of activity... from the usual suspects. Going off topic here I am afraid, but the discussion is very valuable. Thats why I splitted the discussion in to a new topic under 'general'.

I totally have a lack of expertise in the field of maintaining a forum like this (read: technical background of the forum) even I have Admin rights so I am totally depending on Stewart and Gilles, but the suggestions from Skye are valid and worth a try. Its reflecting things I have brought in discussion in the Admin Team several times and Stewart, I respect that you have serious concerns about using social media but Social Media have become a major part to how people are experience their hobby's like ours on the Internet these days. Neither you like it, or hate it. Fact is that f.e the ADVrider forum doesn't have the problems we are facing here.

Fact is, that the international Varadero FB group has grown to almost 800 activive members (with no dispute or unpleasant discussions, the admin team (2 admins from which I am one, 2 moderators) only corrects if a posting isn't done in the obligate English and really Skye, the 'in group' search option works very good) and the International Africa Twin group is over 15.000. FIFTEEN-THOUSAND! Not sure how many are active though, lol.

Now back to topic:

Mr Kiwi, when are you going to retire? So we can enjoy a VIM in KiwiLand?  ;D VCIF_salut

« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 09:46:07 by Two Plugs »

zebulon

• Administrator
Re: How to improve traffic on the Forum (Split from: Future of VIM)
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 14:06:24 »
Forum activity is the future of VIM . No activity on the forum = No more VIM ...  :-[
Still disappointed by people waiting for a VIM but never post anything on the forum ...  :-\

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
Re: How to improve traffic on the Forum (Split from: Future of VIM)
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2018, 16:12:02 »
Please see other topic Gilles (Future of VIM).  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal