Author Topic: Valve for Air Control or God Moves in a Mysterious Way  (Read 2228 times)

YU ADV

• XL1000VA
Valve for Air Control or God Moves in a Mysterious Way
« on: February 08, 2018, 11:04:56 »
Hi guys,

I want to change spark plugs and air filter. Bike has little bit sticky throttle so I want also to remove air box to found out what is going on.

I take off tank like you already described here on forum and I didn't have any particular problem.  But when I removed air filter I found out something strange: who control this valve for air control (number 3 on this blueprint https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-5696-13MBT3S1-XL1000V5-2005-F__1900-XL+1000+VARADERO.html)?  When I move throttle this valve doesn't move? Is it controlled by computer?

Thank you in advance

SB

• Administrator
Re: Valve for Air Control or God Moves in a Mysterious Way
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 11:50:54 »
I think you need a workshop manual. Use the search function on this forum. There are some posts with links to locations with downloadable versions of the manual(s).

The valve is part of the variable intake port system (a feature found on may modern engines).  It is controlled by the ECU via a solenoid valve and vacuum chamber.

It wont move with the engine off.

SB

YU ADV

• XL1000VA
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 13:32:05 »
Thank you very much SB!

cristi-mic

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 15:38:21 »
Indeed, that valve (actually a flap) is controlled by ECU depending on engine speed. Some people removed them in the TDM 900 because of the problems below 4000 rpm, but I didn't hear anything about the Varadero system. So it should work quite OK.

wagonweel

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 01:28:45 »
Funny, my mechanic just informed me that this wasn't opening at all despite the revs ... very mysterious

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal