Author Topic: Unlinking the DCBS linked brakes? ## I DID IT ##  (Read 1146 times)

VFRBoy

• HAR Member
Unlinking the DCBS linked brakes? ## I DID IT ##
« on: October 03, 2023, 05:19:37 »
################################
#
# UPDATE - D-CBS BRAKES HAVE BEEN DE-LINKED #
#
################################

Photos attached, but in short this is what's required:

- 3x short braided lines to bridge the outer pistons with the centre piston in all 3 calipers
- 2x double banjo bolts (see above).
- The double banjo bolt on the rear master cylinder is reused on one caliper (see above)
- Remove redundant brake line from rear master cylinder to front left caliper
- Remove redundant brake line from secondary master cylinder (left fork leg) to rear caliper
- Pack secondary master with grease to limit movement under braking
- Bolt to blank off the secondary master cylinder hydraulic outlet

I also installed a new rear disc and new pads all round.

It rides really well! Front brakes are more powerful (6 pistons actuated, not 4) and waiting for the rear disc to be bedded in, but expecting an improvement there also with all 3 pistons actuating with the pedal.

-- ORIGINAL POST BELOW --

I have found I don't always like the DCBS linked brakes on the Varadero (non-ABS).

The rear brake applies the front brakes a bit - this is not good when cornering. On other bikes, applying a little bit of rear brake helps pull the bike into a turn, or tightens a line through a bend. With the DCBS it makes the bike run wide, the handling sort of goes "dead".

I don't mind the rear brake being applied with the front brake, that works for me quite OK.

Now there are kits available for the VFR to disable this with new HEL braided lines. Has anyone done this on the Varadero?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2023, 10:08:37 by VFRBoy »
VFRBoy because I had a 1998 VFR800Fi for 8 years

Now I have:
1999 XL1000V Varadero
2000 XR250R
1989 GB250 Clubman

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
Re: Unlinking the DCBS linked brakes?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 12:27:22 »
I remember reading back in the day that someone did this. For a more precise, predictable, sport kind of riding. It saves some kg too.
But I also remember there were discussions about the legal issues involved. We have compulsory technical inspections regularly that might or might not agree with leaving such a modified bike be ridden on public roads.

To summarize:
Is it possible? Sure.
Is it worth? This depends on you.
Is it legal in your country? If not, what if you are caught?  ;D

Greetings,

Josep

VFRBoy

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2023, 08:07:50 »

To summarize:
Is it possible? Sure.
Is it worth? This depends on you.
Is it legal in your country? If not, what if you are caught?  ;D

No problems with inspection in my state (Victoria, Australia). Once the vehicle is registered there's no further inspection, and I'm not sure it would be an issue anyway
VFRBoy because I had a 1998 VFR800Fi for 8 years

Now I have:
1999 XL1000V Varadero
2000 XR250R
1989 GB250 Clubman

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2023, 15:45:52 »
With such a modification it would not anymore perform as it type approval certificate and it can be dangerous.
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal