Honda XL1000V Varadero - The bike that started our community! > Varadero riders experiences

Test ride on a Yamaha Super Tenere

(1/2) > >>

JoshK:
I just took a test ride on a yamaha super tenere. It was a pretty cool bike but it was no Varadero. The tenere has some cool features. The on the fly adjustable shocks are a nice feature, it can also be adjusted for two up riding or single rider with luggage. The touring and sport mode is also cool. (much more fun on sport mode).
The fit and finish did not seem like Honda quality, and the clutch did not feel as smooth as the Vara.
Nice bike but she's no Varadero.

Maritimer:
I'm interested in the Tenere. It will depending on the African Twin that's suppose to come out this fall (in Canada). If the AT does not suit me and the Cross Tourer 1200 does not become available in North America,  I may buy a Yamaha when I'm done with my Varadero.
How was the power? I heard the Super Tenere is suppose to be a bit low on power!

Blacksmith:
After 2 Varadero's and 75 K on each I had the idea of buying the new crosstourer in 2012. But at the motorcycle bourse I noticed that the crosstourer is to much a street bike. At the Yamaha stand I tried the XT 1200 and had more the idea that it is the bike that fits me, so I bought it.
After 46.000 km I can tell that the Varadero is somewhat more comfortable, but the XT is absolutely reliable, better to handle off road because of lower centroid, more agile on the road. The engine is a bit more noisy, but at low revs you never have "hick up's" like I noticed on the Varadero. First XT's had power reduction in first 3 gears, which you could eliminate by changing the mapping or simply use a paperclip. The new ones have more power and less reduction.
Driving mostly with 2 on the bike I would again buy the XT.
Alone at the bike I would wait for the new AT to try it, mainly bacause of the lower weight.

zebulon:
I have not ride too much the XT, but have tested the Xtourer much times; sure IMO the XT is closer to the Varadero spirit.

JoshK:
Maritimer
I found that it felt a little more sluggish than the Vara off the start but that could be from the drive shaft compared to chain drive, but you should note that I was on a test ride with 14 other riders so I could only push it as hard as the person in front of me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version