Out of the box: Discuss all other Adventure bikes here > Strangers in da house - It's not a Honda!

Brass Monkey 2021 - New Zealand

(1/3) > >>

MrKiwi:
This last weekend, the 40th and final annual Brass Monkey motorcycle meetup was held.

MrKiwi:
The idea of the Brass Monkey was to ride your motorbike to the coldest location in New Zealand in winter. This happens to be the Ida Valley where one winter the temperature got down to -20.8C.

IN recent years, like a lot of annual events, numbers turning up have reduced so the club that has organized it decided 2020 would be the last event. Covid-19 intervened, so 2021 became the final event.

The meaning of the name Brass Monkey relates to the brass cannon ball holders on ships of yesteryear. The brass would contract faster than the steel cannon balls and the steel balls would then roll off.  An apt term for a motorcycle event held in a cold valley in Winter.

Fortunately this year, the temperatures were mild.

MrKiwi:
And now some pictures of my travels down to it and back. I had cross over the Cook Strait from the North Island to go to the South Island then ride approx 1000km to the location.

Waiting for the ferry

On the way down.
Kaikoura Coast

Morning sunrise on my second day

An old vintage car rally was being held near our event that weekend too.

MrKiwi:
Some pics of the rally

A nice big bonfire to keep us warm.

MrKiwi:
It was a cold wet ride home. A few pics along the way.
Lindis Pass in Central Otago, usually in snow this time of year.

near Lake Tekapo

Bernard knows how I love food. A hearty breakfast to help ward off the cold.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version