Author Topic: New Boots  (Read 33559 times)

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
Re: New Boots
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 13:32:54 »
Should I grease and be patient with the little leak of my current boots

Some boots have problems with leaking in via the lower buckle. So if you are wet on the overside of the foot this is the problem

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 04:05:33 »
I have the same but got a deal on the test version of the boots about five years ago. Mine have another buckle to do up at the top of the boot. They are absolutely waterproof and I've done nothing to them since I bought them. Only drawback is they don't breathe very well so they end up being pretty stinky by the end of long road trips. They felt like they were made for my feet since I got them.

2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2016, 04:08:20 »
They look good.
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

meine dicke

• Only soaring is nicer
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2016, 19:44:21 »
These boots are toooooooo heavy !

I prefere these ventilated ones  VCIF_salut

VCIF_2757 Greetings from the South of Germany  VCIF_2757

Think positive - Flaps negative
YAMAHA XT 1200 ZE Worldcrosser
VDT 2010;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23;24
IAHT 2013;16
VIM 2014;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23; 24 (ORGA)
Since 2010: CBF600 (10.000); Varadero (100.000); XT1200ZE (since 11/2016 >= 139.000)

aboynamedsue

• HAR Member
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 19:38:07 »
I got myself a pair of those SIDI Adventure boots last year Compliments of GORETEX because my 11 year old Hein Gericke Goretex boots started leaking. It would seem rude of me to complain about them squeaking as I didn't buy them. As for waterproofness which is the important thing, they are 100% waterproof. If and when as much as 1 drop of water touches my socks I will be straight on to GORETEX again.

YU ADV

• XL1000VA
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 21:20:45 »
I have TCX Infinity Gore-Tex. I bought them 3 years ago  VCIF_salut

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2018, 21:36:37 »
I have TCX Infinity Gore-Tex. I bought them 3 years ago  VCIF_salut

they are as new  ;D  ;D  ;D  8)
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

YU ADV

• XL1000VA
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 22:43:03 »
they are as new  ;D  ;D  ;D  8)

;D  ;D  ;D  VCIF_salut

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 08:03:05 »
I am planning on buying new boots in Andorra, Is it really worth buying there? How about making a vote on what is the best to buy.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 10:32:22 »
Is not so interesting as in the past; they have no VAT, but now with web sites and promotions, you have to choose product and have a look. Oil and some comsommable are less expensive there.
Sure nice prices on tobacco and alcohols  ;D
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 15:11:12 »
I bought the same Sidi adventure boots Gore-Tex, for my Norway travel, even with 3 full rain days and the water waves from the trucks, never leaked !
The 2 main points why I love these boots is I never sweat thanks GTX and they have genuine gripy shoe soles very handy on gravel roads, with my other boots
I used to slip on pavement if there were small rocks... for an adventure rider this seems essential !

aboynamedsue

• HAR Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2018, 14:22:24 »
Is not so interesting as in the past; they have no VAT, but now with web sites and promotions, you have to choose product and have a look. Oil and some comsommable are less expensive there.
If you're after waterproof boots it has to be Goretex ,any boots with the GORETEX label are guaranteed waterproof and breathable by Goretex themselves for the life of the product as I proved with my claim for my 11 year old boots that covered 60k+ miles. Lots of other boots claim to be waterproof with all different "waterproof" membranes but lots of them will let in a bit of water in extreme conditions or after prolonged exposure to rain, not Goretex. Every bit of my kit has the Goretex membrane,  boots, gloves, jacket and trousers. it is more expensive but as the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for"

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2018, 09:48:59 »
If you're after waterproof boots it has to be Goretex ,any boots with the GORETEX label are guaranteed waterproof and breathable by Goretex themselves for the life of the product as I proved with my claim for my 11 year old boots that covered 60k+ miles. Lots of other boots claim to be waterproof with all different "waterproof" membranes but lots of them will let in a bit of water in extreme conditions or after prolonged exposure to rain, not Goretex. Every bit of my kit has the Goretex membrane,  boots, gloves, jacket and trousers. it is more expensive but as the old saying goes, "you get what you pay for"

GTX is great, but honestly in most cases you pay a lot for the name, because if they rarely fail they won't have much repair jobs, so the lifetime warranty is nice, though on jackets it's only about the GTX membrane, if seems fail they will make you pay the repair.
I got my boots because they weren't that expensive and in boots it's only GTX, nothing else to compete in the market.
For my travel clothes however, went to a Polo motorrad shop and tried a pant/jacket pair from Rev'it all GTX, well the whole thing was about 1200CHF, I looked around and saw another ensemble this time with Sympatex layer, which cost me barely over 400CHF and I can tell you after 3 full rain days in Norway, with trucks splashing me on highways in Germany up to the helmet, I never got wet nor cold even riding with 6°C.

Of course Sympatex doesn't provide a lifetime warranty, but frankly I've read on mountaineer or campers forums, that Sympatex seems to be as durable if not more than GTX, so if prices are 30% of GTX it's a pretty viable option even if it would fail 3 times !

I'm sure my boots soles will be dead before the GTX, so then I don't think resolling would be very waterproof, might as well buy something cheap if you think about it.

aboynamedsue

• HAR Member
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2018, 12:04:47 »
I can't say I've heard of Sympatex, I must look out for it as it seems to be Value for money.

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 14:18:59 »
One year later just back from Scotland, after 6-7h of heavy rain with trucks splashing, then 2h of snowing
the leather is soaked and my feet got wet, not very wet but apparently GTX isn't up to the task, I'll be going back to regular leather and wax them !

Side note, talking with my brother a mountain gear enthusiast, apparently GTX when the temperature gets much colder than inside the boots stops working,
basically the concept being that sweat is in vapour form which is less dense than rain, it flows through the GTX layer, but now with low temperatures sweat
condenses and is unable to be transported through the GTX layer.
Now realise that even without wind, an ambiant 5°C temperature equals to -1.3°C allready at 50kmh, -3.1 at 90kmh and -4.2 at 130kmh... So living in
Switzerland, I now think there's no point paying premium for GTX knowing this !
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 16:37:45 by Djairouks »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal