Author Topic: Fuel injection to carb conversion  (Read 3693 times)

mikerbull1

• HAR Member
Fuel injection to carb conversion
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:36:46 »
Hi people. I've put a 2006 six speed fuel injected motor into my 99 bike. I've just used the motor and the carbs from my bike. Had to make a few connector mods and the original thermostat housing and water pump cover plus the stator but everything pretty fitted perfect. Only problem is that apart from a few coughs and splutters, it don't work. Was this never going to work or is it a jetting problem. Saw a thread somewhere suggesting VTRs carbs might be the answer. Any ideas or suggestions would be most appreciated

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
Re: Fuel injection to carb conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 06:09:41 »
Sorry,  I really don't understand what you have done or trying to do ???  ???
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 10:30:48 »
I am missing the clue too... Why won't you change for the complete feulinjection unit!? Conversion from injection to carbs sounds like throwing yourself back to the stone age...

Since I owned both the feul injection plant is incoperating al the plusses of the carb unit, but with far better feul economy.
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

mikerbull1

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 20:22:00 »
Hi guys. Sorry for the confusion. I bought a 2006 fuel injected engine off eBay which required valve replacements. I only have the engine, no throttle bodies and non of the fuel injection kit. I have repaired the motor and as a project am trying to put in my 99 bike using the carbs, air box etc from that bike. There is probably little sense in the project but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Regards. Mike.

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 05:31:38 »
 VCIF_ThumbUp  thanks much clearer
Good luck!
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 11:16:13 »
Not sure if the 'transplant' would work without the injection system... But must admit that I do lack the right expertise on this...

mikerbull1

• HAR Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 01:16:36 »
Just an update. Found the answer on the uk xrv forum. I needed to change the rotor on the crankshaft and pick up sensor. The carb rotor is completely different to the fuel injected rotor. Damn thing was sparking at the wrong time. Once changed it sparked up first time. Have test ridden and is absolutely spot on. No jetting required as apparently carbs will self a just. So I have a six geared, carbed, 1999 varadero and it's brilliant.

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 04:20:39 »
 VCIF_ThumbUp VCIF_ThumbUp   enjoy!

Varareco

• VCIF Member Tri-Colour 2006 Varadero
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 12:30:22 »
Just an update. Found the answer on the uk xrv forum. I needed to change the rotor on the crankshaft and pick up sensor. The carb rotor is completely different to the fuel injected rotor. Damn thing was sparking at the wrong time. Once changed it sparked up first time. Have test ridden and is absolutely spot on. No jetting required as apparently carbs will self a just. So I have a six geared, carbed, 1999 varadero and it's brilliant.

Well done  VCIF_ThumbUp

It will be interesting to see what the sixth gear does for the fuel economy  VCIF_varaGrey
It is easier to ask for forgiveness than to seek permission.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 19:23:21 »
Compliments! Indeed, I am interrested in the effects to the feulconsumption too. Keep us posted on your experiences!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal