Author Topic: TomTom Rider v5 experiences asked  (Read 2118 times)

varaquiero

• VCIF Member.../whitewidow on uk forum
TomTom Rider v5 experiences asked
« on: December 24, 2014, 18:29:09 »
Thinking of buying the TT V5 but i don't see much talk about it here. Is it not meant to be the best available at the moment.

Any views on this model folks.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 21:47:47 by Two Plugs »
"One has to leave the world to discover it"

2011 XL 1000

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
Re: Re: New TomTom Rider v400 with updated TRACKLOG system
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 21:31:44 »
As mentioned, I own a Rider II with v5 software.  Love it from the moment I exhanged my Rider I for it, even with the original Rider II software.

The reason I was eager to get a new Rider v5? The touch screen on the v5 is wider, the active dock comes with a safety (anti-theft) lock and an auto shutdown as soon as the ignition is switched off; features the hardware of my current Rider II doesn’t have. And... when I bought the II two years ago I made the mistake to purchase ghe cheap version which came without bluetooth.

With the announced v400 I'll wait for a few more months, unless... TomTom decides to drop the price of the v5 (currently in The Netherlands € 240,- incl 20% reduction as registered TomTom rider owner). But even without that discount, € 299,- is a good price.

I have been using the TomTom rider series since the first model was introduced. Nowadays, the latest Rider comes with live time map update, full EU maps incl mainroads in Russia, Ukrain and Bellarusia and Tyre software with Google maps interface for creating your own tour. The Rider v5 creates double tracklogs: 1x *.itn file (TomTom datafile) and 1x *.gpx (the universal datafile for tracklogs). With Tyre software you can also convert any Garmin based *.gdb or *.gpx for use in your Rider v5 without the Academic degrees you need to operate Garmins Basecamp. Its simply plug and play.

Even on battery, its power reserves last for over 3 hours under intensive use.

Looking at - any - Zumo, the Garmins are far overrated. They are the BMuu GS amongst the SatNavs; everybody buys them but with no clear reason.

TomTom Rider v5 is direct available from the TomTom website (and in larger motorcycle stores) so I don't get the problem of 'less availability' ;)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 22:00:05 by Two Plugs »
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

thecivvie

• HAR Member
    • One Man, One Bike 24,000km
Re: TomTom Rider v5 experiences asked
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 19:03:43 »
Thinking of buying the TT V5 but i don't see much talk about it here. Is it not meant to be the best available at the moment.

Any views on this model folks.

I have the V5 and love it. Why isn't it talked about, I don't know but I have had mine for 2 years and it has never missed a beat. I Have had other TomTom's in the past and it is the best I have had. The Winding Road option is fantastic, myself and a mate used it in Northern France and seen roads that no Garmin would have used :)

varaquiero

• VCIF Member.../whitewidow on uk forum
Re: TomTom Rider v5 experiences asked
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 13:19:49 »
Hi guys, Just to say thanks for your help. Have now been using my TT the last month or so and am finding it very good, winding roads feature is truly excellent.
"One has to leave the world to discover it"

2011 XL 1000

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal