Author Topic: Leaving home for VCIM16 Geiranger!  (Read 29771 times)

Freddy

• 2012 VFR1200X Crosstourer
Re: Leaving home for VCIM16 Geiranger!
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 19:31:30 »
 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I can tell you all,  it is now almost 30 degrees here in south Norway. A wonderful blue sky. So I think I'll take a beer or two tonight. See you in Geiranger.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 21:16:41 »
8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I can tell you all,  it is now almost 30 degrees here in south Norway. A wonderful blue sky. So I think I'll take a beer or two tonight. See you in Geiranger.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Keep that spirit, Freddy... so we can proof to all negative elements (who stayed at home cause Norway is 'cold and wet and expensive') that we will have ANOTHER wonderful VCIM which they will regret not being part of! ;)

Honestly... I don't think you can change the expensive part...  ;D But as Norway-Traveller veteran I know that all other pluses add up in favour of Norway BIG TIME!  ;D
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

jackyork

• HAR Member
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2014, 02:09:07 »
I have been cutting hedges all day today. It finally stopped raining.  Doesn't sound like fun but last year I wasn't strong enough to lift the clippers, so things going the right way.
Very envious of you all on the trip; maybe I'll make it next year. Ride safe all of you and have a ball!

JK
PS It is the hedge's centenary this year; planted in 1914 by great uncle Herbert and great aunt Annie. He died tragically young soon after......I hope it doesn't kill me!
jackyork.   Current: XL1000V ABS '11 black, Kawasaki ZX10B 1988, BSA Bantam 1958
Prev. Varadero '08.silver, Honda ST1100 Pan,'99 Triumph T120R Bonneville '67
Honda 750F 70s, BSA A10 RR '62,Norton Dominator 99 1962......many 'hacks' and a Lambretta.

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2014, 09:05:35 »
I would like to share with you the diary I send to the Israely motorcycle club
Journal No. 1 Friday 30/05/2014
This diary I write from a coffee shop in Patras inside the port in western Greece . Thank God everything went as planned right now 16:30 and I'm supposed to get on a ferry in Venice Italy 22:00 .

Yesterday I finished work around 18:00 the grandchildren were waiting for the games with their grandfather . Started "Daket bab", hide and seek , and ended with granddaughter sprained toe and screaming not to touch the foot not allowing me to put something to sooth the pain.

The plane scheduled to fly Friday 05/30/2014 at 5:00 am ( today ) so I went to bed at 21:00 and put the  alarm clock 24:00 . As usual because of the  excitement of the tripI  I could not nap until a few minutes before the clock started wailling . I got up, the daily drill of shower , shaving , breakfast and went out into the street trying to find something to take me to the train station and from there to the airport.

On arrival to the head street I saw a taxi parked at the bus stop , I asked the driver if he is free to the train station , he said yes, I rode, we talked bikes , probably both me and the driver were napping we woke up close to the central bus station away away from the train station.
The taxi driver felt awkward, stopped the price meter on 39 shekels and took me to the central train station, I also half asleep gave him a  50 shekel bill and asked him to keep the change.

We arrived at 1:00 to the train station, being a senior citizen the trip to the airport cost  8 shekels. Train should arrive at 1:40 I set the phone to wake me up at 1:35 and went to sleep on the bench.

Lucky for me somebody woke me just as the train arrived ( not the phone ) and up to the train.

I had a dream of hundreds of people in line at the airport for security check , I am not sure if true or a dream, behind me I heard somebody calling Jack it was Kobe Karin an old time bike friend, and we recalled together the trip we took together to Turkey.

I remember woke up boarding the plane   and woke up in Greece.

I took a bus to the port of of Lavario , where the ferry with my bike is to arrive,

On the bus we passed scenic roads , Greek small towns with lot of old people, narrow roads , every time a car drives on the other side I jump of fear of collision.

Every time I ask the bus driver when to leave the bus and he says DO NOT WOORY .

Eventually I saw the ferry anchored on the beach, the driver stopped somewhere nearby and I went down .

There was a fence and could not get inside, I asked drivers there how to get inside but seem no one bothered to answer, they just ignored me.  At the end I went a few kilometers by foot until I found the entrance. I asked the she clerk at the gate what about my motorcycle, she told me to go to the ships office located a few kilometers for there.

At the company's office the responsible clerk was not there, in short after two hours I got on the ferry and found the bike where I put it Tuesday.

Both were excited to meet again, I took the bike out and started to arrange things for the trip.

Unlike the previous trip the GPS worked without a hitch. A the beginning of the drive I had difficulty controlling the bike with all the luggage later a got the hike of it.

The Greeks in order to solve their economic problems posed a collection post for the  toll road every 2 km. On this highway I drove for the first time in 2003, also two years
 ago.

Every year they add a new collection post between every two existing posts. Fee is 1.5 Euros , but for me I need to stop the bike engine and lower the stand, take off the gloves, remove waller , search for the money, not familiar with the currency I take a handful of change and hand it to the girl in the post to choose the right amount of money all the while cars behind horning and cursing. For the last 10 years they are still repairing the supposed highway, with only one lane hardly making a speed of 60 kilometers per hour. but the fee you have to pay.

All the time very strong wind blowing , getting cold , started to rain but when I arrived to Patras the sun was shining and becomes pleasant.

In the port there was about 100 motorcycles all equipped with the most modern accessories, the owner with shiny riding suits all the way to Italy.

I was a a little bit ashamed of my bike with all the luggage tide to the bike looks like a bike  from Vietnam .

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2014, 09:16:11 »
Going up danmark today, taking the ferry and sleeping tonight in Norway
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Nugget

• HAR Member
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2014, 10:06:56 »
Goood moooorning Nooooorway - arriving in 30 min in Oslo!

[attachment deleted by admin]
I ride the little sister - the green TA650
Been to nearly all vim from 2001-2013 (except 2011)

Freddy

• 2012 VFR1200X Crosstourer
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2014, 11:42:00 »
 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Welcome to Norway !!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

stoldar

• Varadero Club Poland
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2014, 11:52:56 »
Packing my motorcycle and start. Even today, in Poland, and tomorrow Germany, Denmark. On Monday we will be in Kristiansand in Norway.
Can we meet on the road with someone of you ...
Then in the direction of Bergen.
Yours
Dariusz

Madero

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2014, 12:16:51 »
Do you go Fjordline or Colorline? We will be on the Fjordline ferry Hirtshals-kristiansand on monday afternoon. Will then go 50km straight up north to Evje for our first night in Norway.
Maybe see you!

Madero

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2014, 19:09:27 »
Well folks, tomorrow will be the day that I've been waiting for since the announcement was made in Tarragona 2012! My wife and I will leave home tomorrow morning for a long (and boring) 600 km. Highwaystretch to Herning (Dk) where we will stay overnight at the B&B of friends. From there the pleasure touring will start on monday towards Hirtshals where we will take the ferry to Kristiansand.

Weather prospects are looking good so it should be a nice ride!

Wishing all participants a safe and very joyful trip through beautiful Norway and looking forward to meet you all at Geiranger!

Regards,
Jos & Yvonne

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2014, 20:02:54 »
Journal No. 2 Saturday 31/05/2014

Yesterday at 18:00 I went to the ferry office to purchase a ticket to Venice, the she clerk calculated and reached a payment of 160 euros, I told her that last year I paid 130 euros, she raised her shoulders and charged the credit card with the amount.

She then requested my passport and started messing with the computer, she said that based on my age the payment should be 100 euros, again requested the credit card again and started to working with the credit card.

I stayed in the port  cafe till the hour 22:00 ate spaghetti, drank two beers, smoking the pipe, until it was time to board the ferry.

In the ferry I straight searched for the area of the plane chairs and fell asleep.

I woke up at 5:00 , shaving and shower, it is considered an achievement to do that in the  ferry, then I went to watch the sunrise, I really enjoyed the great views of the mountains, the tranquility.

I went for breakfast, two eggs, and ham. Here not like in Israel have not spoiled the taste of eggs.

I found a place with electric outlet for the computer and started messing with the diary.

Expected a day of mostly relaxing and napping.

The bikers here on the ferry, coming with only a riding suit, the suit is for all the time, sleeping in the suit, walking around with the suit, I suppose bathing also with the suit.

At lunch I ate spaghetti, it's probably the only thing I am familiar with, this time I asked without meat only tomato sauce and cheese, but it did not improve the taste.

When the ferry is travelling there is no access to the bikes. Therefore, a person should take with him everything that is needed during the stay.

To tell the truth it is boring in the ferry  though the ferry is pretty neat, The population here are mostly noisy Greek truck drivers, there are old couples with cars but most of the women are worn out. It is still early in the season, it is cold here and I do not separate from the flannel coat I took.

There is a class of German students aged 17 something with their teacher and they conduct classes with all of us in the meeting hall.

On my mind for tomorrow is the arrangement of the things I am taking on the bike, to keep things from rain and wear suitable clothing for cold and rain.

BARKAS

• HAR Member
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2014, 00:14:55 »
Hello. We are happy to be granted with Norway Shengen visas. We just finished packing and preparing to leave from Moscow tomorrow early morning via Finland and Sweden. We wish a good journey to all. See you in Norway!!!

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2014, 00:26:55 »
We're too in Norway! Hello kristiansand ... 😊
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2014, 00:35:07 »
Nugget AKA Barbara... Arrived in Norway at 30 MIN... So cold?  ;D

Barkas / Jack... Your presence at this years Venue, the troubles and administration you had to went through makes it a real INTERNATIONAL meeting. Thank you for participating and beïng member of our community... That is the real spirit of this forum, and our VCIM meeting!
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Mikeadero

• VFR 1200 XDCT Crosstourer
    • Crosstourer Belgium
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2014, 01:12:24 »
Hi,

Sebastien and John arriving in Brussels tomorow and leaving for VCIM on monday morning.

Arriving Friday in Geiranger.

CU soon.

Mike

http://www.crosstourer.be

ZZR600 - Transalp - Varadero 2001 - Varadero 2007 and now VFR 1200 XDCT... the best bike until now !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal