Author Topic: Well this is goodbye !  (Read 4155 times)

Djairouks

• HAR Member
Well this is goodbye !
« on: October 02, 2019, 11:50:46 »
Unfortunately the past month, has not brought nice things to me and my Honda, suddenly after my last travel quircks and funny behaviours have intensified, my dealership didn't seem very concerned, always saying the usual if it happens again come back, but to find no issues with the motorcycle, I think they even would like to sell me a new bike...  :(

Now after 34'000 Km I didn't feel safe on my AT anymore, had too many false neutrals (5th to 6th) on the highway at 140Kmh, unable to re-engage any gear seeing cars come really fast and almost having an accident.
A third set of rear bearing have gone as well, on warranty again but this is ridiculous, I had now twice the engine shut down, after a bend with blipping and downshifting while giving me the oil light, though oil is correct and up to level.
Now coming to winter with cold mornings, the engine turns on reluctantly under 8°C and cuts like the TC does, the first 200m until warmed up slightly.

Also since in my city I can't find a private garage, all my bikes have always lived outside, I have taken the same care of all of them through the years, but the AT's black plastics look totally burned and crappy. Many screws start rusting, the forks and even engine casing on specific spots corroding, all instruments on handlebar and brake fluid reservoir, are greyish and worn.
My 2014 Yamaha next to the AT, is like new, no rust and plastics look pretty good, this aging on the AT is to me unacceptable especially from Honda !

So all this prompted me taking a difficult decision, because I didn't plan on changing my AT. So either buying the 2020 AT, or looking for something else to continue my travels, one can hope the 2020 models materials, were improved upon my 2016 as everything else is. But checking the specs and seeing the 2020 engine, is basically the same with more stroke, I guess the gearbox could have the same issues, I am also wondering about the bearings in the new model.
Then final nail in the coffin for me was the price... Swiss prices still haven't been unvealed, but they are always above Euros conversion, so basing this on the french prices, a standard AT would cost minimum 2000 more than my original.

So I reluctantly checked 3 bikes, Suzuki Vstrom, pretty good but didn't feel so good sitting and I don't think I can live with it's looks. Then I looked at a Ducati Multistrada 950, but for my size it's ergonomics were awfull, I felt like a frog on it, didn't even go for a test ride.
In the end I visited my Triumph dealership, took a Tiger 800 for a spin and boy did it kick my butt, feels so light, amazing ergonomics bare stock, all options even more than my upgraded 2016 AT, materials look really refined too.
What doesn't help either is my wheel and brake lines modifications, aren't accepted in Switzerland... this is getting ridiculous, so the full option Triumph is road legal, not my Honda in theory.

So Yesterday I gave them my AT and signed up for a 2018 white Tiger, which will cost me 3000 less than a 2020 AT, with even more options installed and right now triumph offer the Givi trekker 37l aluminum set, with the tigers !
Also the sight of my worn AT next to any Triumph  :'( was really sad to behold, that's when I realised Honda really dropped the ball on finishing touches and materials.

I sure hope none of you guys will experience the annoyances, that I faced lately with current or next models, I will keep great souvenirs of my travel on the AT, it was fun discussing stuff here, but I just couldn't buy the next one, with all these issues in the back of my mind unfortunately it felt like a gamble to me.
Crossing my fingers that the Triumph will show as a reliable bike, because I have heard contradicting things, it's the first time I'm not buying Japanese in 10 years, hopefully nothing as bad as a BMuu GS  :P !

So I really have spare parts for sale now, don't hesitate look at my for sale post.

Wish all you riders good luck on your rides !
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 12:05:23 by Djairouks »

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: Well this is goodbye !
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 11:29:56 »
Never a pleasure to read such a message ...  :'( do not heard elsewhere such problem with the AT ( and I rub a lot of AT's owners) .. Sure you have tight your clutch cable and set your selector ... No problems at 55 000 here .  We had in the past plastics problems on Varaderos on the Spanish series, but none of the AT are build there...  As you ear and as I think, a tiger cannot be better, but you can say it in the future. For the price sure if you buy a 2 years old bike and smaller , it have to be cheaper  :D
Hope you stay in the family, everybody have appreciate your comments, and hope we can do some common project in Italy  ;)

VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 12:33:27 »
Never a pleasure to read such a message ...  :'( do not heard elsewhere such problem with the AT ( and I rub a lot of AT's owners) .. Sure you have tight your clutch cable and set your selector ... No problems at 55 000 here .  We had in the past plastics problems on Varaderos on the Spanish series, but none of the AT are build there...  As you ear and as I think, a tiger cannot be better, but you can say it in the future. For the price sure if you buy a 2 years old bike and smaller , it have to be cheaper  :D
Hope you stay in the family, everybody have appreciate your comments, and hope we can do some common project in Italy  ;)

VCIF_salut

I really don't know what happened with ATs in Switzerland, but there is definitely something wrong, now the used market is flooded with them and many with low mileage, I didn't find even more GS on the used website and they are produced for longer. Most pictures of 2016 models I look at, have awful plastics like on mine and more people have had bearings issues from what I heard, so I don't know maybe our mountainy weather and freezing temperatures, took it's toll but that seems rather unlikely.
But my confidence in Honda has been shaken and you know then riding doesn't feel as fun anymore, because you're second guessing things, that's really the problem for me.
Also I realized with all the crazy laws on vehicle control here, any mods I did basically are not legal and if the insurance looks it up you basically are not covered, so in case of problems I would be f*****, since I changed springs and tubeless wheels, just so that it runs correctly for me, that's annoying, so for the Sunday drivers it's fine, for me not so much.

So for me now the Tiger does perform better, I realize I just don't offroad that much or tough enough terrain, to justify something with 21" front, I was presomptuous  VCIF_ok. I am better with 19" and tubeless and as I need to do a highway portion everyday commuting, a more revy engine with everything heating and better ergonomics for my back. The price and location of the dealership also made a huge leap in favor of Triumph.

Thanks I might stick around if my new English steed is tolerated  :P.

Definitely Italy is always nice to ride !
« Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 12:36:53 by Djairouks »

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 13:12:04 »
Thanks I might stick around if my new English steed is tolerated  :P.

for sure  VCIF_ThumbUp  VCIF_ThumbUp  ;)
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 13:54:13 »
The Triumph Tiger 800 is an underrated motorcycle in my modest opinion (even better than the big 1200), so I am most confident that you have made a good descision.
When something crawls between the eyes, keeping fed with one negative experience topping another, its hard to regain faith. Buying a new bike seems the only reasonable solution.

Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 16:47:29 »
The Triumph Tiger 800 is an underrated motorcycle in my modest opinion (even better than the big 1200), so I am most confident that you have made a good descision.
When something crawls between the eyes, keeping fed with one negative experience topping another, its hard to regain faith. Buying a new bike seems the only reasonable solution.

Thanks I'm glad you understand, really this decision made me sad and the day I left my AT in the Triumph dealership, I was wondering if that wasn't stupid burning all my money again too, but now all my commuting since a week is much more enjoyable, partly because of the lack of stress on the gearbox thing, but a lot also because of cruise control and heating seat  ;D ! Talking about the gearbox... those japanese fellows could learn a thing or two, from the Brits, I am amazed at the precision and butter smooth shifting of the Triumph, I can do clutchless downshifts easily even though it doesn't have a slipper clutch, like the Honda.

I never knew how good heating seats are, I feel really blessed now and could ride even longer through the winter !

I like underdogs, when AT got out people said it sucked in twisties, well none of my friends could follow my pace... when I bought back my trusty Fazer 8 after a MT-09, same thing people said why buy older less powerfull... this motorcycle suits me so well in ergonomics, also not many people manage to follow me in twisties, all underdogs and they made me just have fun. Seems the Tiger is kind of another underdog which is funny, I really enjoy riding it in any weather unlike my Yamaha, which is more for summer.

Who knows in some years they'll finally do a lighter 800 AT and I'll be back in the Honda camp, what I can definitely say is I will never go back to 220+ motorcycles, with my adventures all the photo gear and luggage I carry, is making these big machines too much !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal