Author Topic: Michelin pilot 4 trail tyres  (Read 32089 times)

steve razor

• domo arigatou gozaimasu
Michelin pilot 4 trail tyres
« on: April 09, 2017, 23:36:06 »
Anyone recommend , or used these these on the crosstourer. Tried them on the vara 1000 and rear squared off after 4000 miles. The miles were done on norway and sweden A roads.....As the crosstourer is heavier i would expect less mileage again...i found them a very good tyre, very confident,....hardly do any off road/ gravel tracks, etc..
snatch a kiss,,,,or vice versa.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Re: Michelin pilot 4 trail tyres
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 00:19:21 »
I used them on my CT as the tyre of choice. Really liked them. Got around 8000 km from the rear with reasonably assertive riding. They wear quickly if tyre pressure is not maintained
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 02:09:12 »
They even manage a little bit of gravel, sort of  ;D

MrKiwi

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 15:02:51 »
I loved them on CT as well, maybe too much :)
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

steve razor

• domo arigatou gozaimasu
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 17:17:43 »
Ok. Will order a set next week and fit them..thanks for the feedback.
snatch a kiss,,,,or vice versa.

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2017, 04:24:06 »
I had them on my Varadero. Terrific touring tires and were surprisingly okay in gravel. Not good in muck/mud - scary.
I'm surprised by the lower lifespans of the previous members - I only had one set at they went over 12,000 kilometres before being square and unusable front and back - mixed temps from desert to zero both highway and twisties and about 15% gravel.
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 08:31:05 »
Didn't use the PR4 on trails, I had the roadster version on a MT-09, but still though absolutely great Under rainy weather, although I'll say that the grip on very hot or cold dry asphalt is not crazy and doesn't give anough feedback for my taste.
After 2 seasons and 12'000 Km they weren't dead, but felt like wooden blocks terrible to ride, so be carefull I still prefer Dunlop Roadsmart III compared to PR4, they behave much better in the heat.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 13:04:12 »
Didn't use the PR4 on trails, I had the roadster version on a MT-09, but still though absolutely great Under rainy weather, although I'll say that the grip on very hot or cold dry asphalt is not crazy and doesn't give anough feedback for my taste.
After 2 seasons and 12'000 Km they weren't dead, but felt like wooden blocks terrible to ride, so be carefull I still prefer Dunlop Roadsmart III compared to PR4, they behave much better in the heat.
I've never experienced any problems with PR4s in the heat or cold (except for ice  :o [size=78%])[/size]
MrKiwi

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 13:20:22 »
I've never experienced any problems with PR4s in the heat or cold (except for ice  :o [size=78%])[/size]
Where did you found ice? in the glass?  :o
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 13:32:44 »
I bought my AT in late april, it was still pretty cold in switzerland and riding the highway around 8°C on the MT-09, the PR4 scared the shit out of me, they were very twitchy not holding a straight line and grip was not so great.
I know it's the tires, as then I rode the AT in the same conditions on the OEM Dunlops and they went straight with more grip, heck even caught a small hailstorm, while riding home for the first time with no problem !

So those Michelins are more sensitive to heat cycles and aging I guess, also note that I don't have a garage, so the bike spends winter outside, maybe also impacting the rubber who knows.
But then I never experienced this with bridgestones or Dunlops, when riding in cold weather after the winter outside as well. That's all I can say.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 13:34:29 by Djairouks »

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 01:29:24 »
I bought my AT in late april, it was still pretty cold in switzerland and riding the highway around 8°C on the MT-09, the PR4 scared the shit out of me, they were very twitchy not holding a straight line and grip was not so great.
I know it's the tires, as then I rode the AT in the same conditions on the OEM Dunlops and they went straight with more grip, heck even caught a small hailstorm, while riding home for the first time with no problem !

So those Michelins are more sensitive to heat cycles and aging I guess, also note that I don't have a garage, so the bike spends winter outside, maybe also impacting the rubber who knows.
But then I never experienced this with bridgestones or Dunlops, when riding in cold weather after the winter outside as well. That's all I can say.

Do I detect a bit of anti Michelin crusade here  ;D

As a matter of experience my most worst experiences have been with Dunlop tires. Consequently I am biased against any Dunlop tire, it will take a help of persuasion to get me back on them. no matter what Dunlop tire I ride they all have the same issue, a lack of grip in the wet. I choose tires for their grip in the wet for more confident riding downhill. Like you, my country has lots of hilly terrain.

Apart from that I am prepared to ride most other tires. Looking forward to your experience on the Devons.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 22:35:40 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 08:25:03 »

Do I detect a bit of anti Michelin crusade here  ;D

As a matter of experience my most worst experiences have been with Dunlop tires. Consequently I am biased against any Dunlop tire, it take a help of persuasion to get me back on them. no matter what Dunlop tire I ride they all have the same issue, a lack of grip in the wet. I chose tires for their grip in the wet for more confident riding downhill. Like you, my country has lots of hilly terrain.

Apart from that I am prepared to ride most other tires. Looking forward to your experience on the Devons.

Not anti Michelin, more anti fairy dust or this is the best period phrases, everyone has a different feeling.

I'm surprised, because on the roads I tend to find the Roadsmart III better on wet than PR4, I can't comment offroad but I've  never had a oh shit moment with wet grip on these.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 10:16:45 »
That's good then, not having an oh shit moment
MrKiwi

varonda

• AT rallye colours -- a.k.a. grandpa grumpy
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 13:37:33 »
I'm in agreement with MrKiwi -- I'm biased against Metzeler as I've never had a good experience with them either on Varaderos
 or in years past on a ZZR1100 -- generally I try to remain open minded about tyres until they upset me . The Dunlops on the AT
 are spot on in the dry but get a bit of damp on the road and they become the Dunlop Ditchfinders we all love to hate , if the PR4s
 came in AT sizes they would be on like a shot , however as they don't we'll try something else probably settle on the Conti Trail Attacks. We make judgements on past experiences until we learn otherwise.  :)
If the truth fits---wear it !!!!

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 22:40:30 »
I'm a recent convert to TKC70's, and don't yet have too many kms under my belt on them at around 8,000kms between my two bikes. 

I will get a feel for them in my Xl600V as that is what I will be riding in a month's time when I come up to Europe. And the two trips I have planned will see around 10,000 to 12,000kms in total put on them. I'll probably need a new set before I am finished.  I've put nearly 6,000km on the TCK's on my AT and they have been the best adventure tire I have ridden on yet, other than that strange cracking on the front tire. I'm putting that down to too low a pressure on sustained hot tarmac roads. I should be running them at a slightly higher pressure than 2.1 bar.
MrKiwi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal