Crossroads navigation & E-gadgets: Mapping around on GPS and electric goodies > The Holy Grail of Digital mapping on your SatNav

New Use for Old Phone - turn it into a GPS

(1/1)

MrKiwi:
Yesterday I retired my HTC phone from active phone use, the camera was playing up and it was starting to look worse for wear and tear.

About two years ago, on recommendation from a friend, I bought some GPS software for android phones, called Sygic. It requires Wifi or data to set up, but once the maps are downloaded it does not need WiFi or data to operate, it picks up the satellite info and works like any normal GPS would.

Before I headed up to Europe in August 2015, I purchased a second licence, this time the world wide licence with life time updates. (the sale price at the moment for this software is around 30 Euros. Expensive in terms of phone aps, but way cheaper than buying a stand alone GPS).

So yesterday I factory reset my HTC phone, and got rid of everything on it. Then I set up the worldwide licence on the phone and now I have a cheap GPS. It will be interesting to see how long this lasts.

The phone is mounted on a Givi holder (pics below), complete foam padding which significantly reduces vibration on the phone. There is a water proof covering too. I'm going to run with this until the old phone dies.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version