Author Topic: Any idea what the Tyre Valve Size is?  (Read 3869 times)

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
Any idea what the Tyre Valve Size is?
« on: June 11, 2013, 01:27:25 »

I have decided its time to start doing my own tyres.

So i have either had donated or bought what i need equipment wise.

Bought the tyres (see i think ahead)   :D

And then i though ill buy some of the funky 90 degree tyre valves
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181007455753

like these but  then they start talking about sizes. I though they are all the same?!??!

So does anyone know what size the vara takes
Is there another word for synonym?

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
Re: Any idea what the Tyre Valve Size is?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:33:13 »
Well... The requiered size is written on the side of your current tyres, Spence!
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 10:51:56 »
Well... The requiered size is written on the side of your current tyres, Spence!

But it doesn't tell him if the hole in the rim for the valve is 11.3mm or 8.3mm  ::)

I'm not sure how much if it is "urban legends" but I've heard stories about "right angle adapters", "pressure indicators" etc causing failures on bike tyre valves due to the centrifugal force.

If these valves are made correctly it shouldn't be a problem but if they're made in China .....................

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 11:23:43 »
Thats right i need to know the hole size for the valve.

Since thinking about using 90 degree valves i am not sure if i will use them because of all the stories of some of them failing but i still need to know the size.

I could measure the hole after removing the tyre but that will leave me off the road.

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 17:24:34 »
Just found out its 11.5 mm

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

Tarwdu

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 12:22:50 »
I have been changing my own tyres for several years.  In my opinion changing the valve each time is a waste of money.  Tyre services do it as a precaution.  Hole size is obviously important, but just as important is the length of the valve.  M/C valves are shorter than car ones.
 I used to have tyre pressure indicator valve caps.  They were rubbish.  I was glad when they got nicked.
Using tyre levers on alloy wheels ends up with scratched wheels.  Make up some thin plastic strips to go between the wheel rim and the tyre lever.  There is a rotational direction arrow on the tyre. (this may be important !), mark the direction on the wheel with a pen before taking off the tyre.  This saves confusion about which way the wheel is turning when the wheel is dismantled from the bike.

My initials are GS but I  ride a Crosstourer.

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 16:15:13 »
Thanks for the tips

I actually did the job yesterday. And i now have a nice new set of anakee 2 fitted.

The brake disk actually have the direction indicator on them on my bike so i didn't have to mark that up.

The front was no different than a push bike tyre i gave the rim a good clean inside on the bead the sprayed on a little silicone lube put on the compressor and pop no worries.

The rear was a bit more tricky both to fit, and seat on the bead. At first i tried the same method as the front but it wouldn't hold presure. So i tried the gas exploding method,but i couldn't get it to go bang. In the end i got a rachet strap and put it round the tire and squeezed while the compressor worked. And tat did the job.

I agree about changing the valves but i decided not to get the 90 degree valves because there are a few stories of them failing so i got the normal tr412 valves most garages use at £1.50 eacht. Also with this being my first time i wanted to do everything

Balancing was easy, just going to take it easy the first 100 miles.

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal