Author Topic: Why buy an Africa Twin CRF1000L?  (Read 1789 times)

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Why buy an Africa Twin CRF1000L?
« on: June 25, 2017, 16:07:32 »
[Part I]
I’ve been reading elsewhere online and it seems too many people are expecting a new Honda 50/50 ADV bike to outperform all others on or off road.  There is not one bike out there, that I am aware of, that does everything better than any other bike, so the debate will go on forever and get nowhere.

The CRF1000L has a 1000cc engine, so power is not an issue for me.  It’ll  get me where I want at a pretty snappy pace, if thats what I want on the day.  My Varadero did and power wise the CRF1000L is no different, but its a lighter than the Vara with a lower COG.
From all the responses I’ve read the CRF1000L’s transmission  (manual or DCT) is fine.  My choice is DCT. Any little quirks I will learn to deal with, so I have no concerns there.

To me, what really counts is.
Is the bike reliable?
Does it have enough power to meet my needs? (Not, how much power does it have compared to the bike next door!) 
Is the bike reliable?
Can I tour 1000’s of km on road with it and expect a predictable handling result?
Is the bike reliable?
Can I ride on unmade roads, tracks and logging roads and will the bike handle that in a predictable manner?
Is the bike reliable?
Will I be happy with my choice of colour ;) LOL ?
Is the bike reliable?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 12:35:55 by james.mc »
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Re: Why buy an Africa Twin CRF1000L?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 12:35:28 »
[Part II]
Put a professional rider, experienced in either environment, on a CRF1000L  and those that say the bike isn't that good on or off road would be left in the dust, or exhaust fumes, wondering on what authority they made the statement that the bike is crap/lacklustre/poor on or off road.

Honda has designed and marketed the AT to be a 50/50 On/Off road ADV bike.  For that very reason it will never be better (in all respects) off road than a bike designed purely for off road use.  Equally it will never match a pure bred road bike (in all respects) for on road use either.  That having been said, I would suggest that the ‘majority’ of ADV riders out there might not have the ability, or inclination, to stretch the bike to the limit both on road and off road and experience short comings, at the limit of riding/bike handling, in both riding environments.  There will always be exceptions.

Sure, there will be 'technical' discussion points.. how much weight the rear shock can handle, pre load settings, how well a 21 inch wheel handles twisties on the road, grip on the road for 50/50 tyres or off road grip for 90/10 tyres, front diving under hard braking.
Put a professional rider, experienced in either environment, on a CRF1000L  and those that say the bike isn't that good on or off road would be left in the dust, or exhaust fumes, wondering on what authority they made the statement that the bike is crap/lacklustre/poor on or off road.
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 12:36:27 »
[Part III]
I owned a Honda Varadero XL1000V for 10 years and ran it with 90/10 tyres, touring all over Europe.  There are plenty of road bikes out there that with the right rider, in no fancy riding gear, would knock the Vara way down the charts for cornering on road because it’s certainly no pocket rocket!.  I'm no road warrior, but on a few notable occasions I met and left behind blinged up ‘pocket rockets’ (looking like fully sponsored track bikes) on 100% road/track tyres, with riders touting all the latest fashion in sports bike leathers (including speed humps FFS - never did get what that was all about on a road bike). 

If you feel you are an average rider and want an ADV bike with a useful amount of power to tour on road and on unmade roads (such as logging tracks) then the AT has to tick a lot of your boxes. 

If you are a super on road and off road warrior and expect the AT to match bikes made for each different environment you are in for disappointment and will need to buy two bikes to meet with your high, but narrowly focused, expectations.

If you want to out drag other road bikes off the lights, and win,  get a different bike with more HP!
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 12:37:05 »
[Part IV]
Short term (in the last year or so) the CRF1000L seems to be reliable overall. As for long term reliably of the bike, who knows but, given the numbers sold and the feedback so far, the prognoses is looking pretty good at this juncture.

Bearing in mind that ‘Adventure’ riding is not all about how capable the bike is off road (to the n'th degree) with the latest tricked out ADV bike.   I’ve seen a you tube video series of a young British couple riding Honda C90’s across Canada in the winter camping out in  -35deg C!. That was adventure riding and no mistake about it!  They were on road and off road on occasions.   No ABS, Traction Control, DCT Drive or DCT Sports modes. No Heated grips, tailor made panniers, extra LED driving lights, gear change extenders, tailor made screens, bark busters, engine bars, bash plates etc.
Are C90’s adventure bikes?  Nope! 
But they surely had more of an adventure than many on this forum will ever have on Factory designed $20k ADV bikes, loaded up with all the Farkles, debating who's make of bike or Manual V DCT, is better than who's on or off road, which gadgets are best etc. 
Its great to share information but lets not get too anal about it eh?

Just get out there, ride and have an Adventure!
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal