Author Topic: Anakee 3  (Read 20433 times)

Mickey

• HAR Member
Anakee 3
« on: August 10, 2013, 12:41:30 »
my tyres are all worn, so its time for some new ones....
Anyone with experience with the Anakee 3 on the Dero?
road 2. I used to ride on the pilot Road in front and Pilot 2 at rearwheel....

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
Re: Anakee 3
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 04:31:26 »
I have the Anakee 3 and about 7k kms so far.
This is a good tire for road use, wet or dry
No problem with "tar snakes", painted lines etc
No wobbles or shimmy etc
So far the tires are fairly quiet
The sidewalls seem to be a little stiffer than the Anakee 2 - but no problem mounting
I balanced the wheels using small ceramic beads (1 ounce front, 2 ounces rear...sorry don't know what that is in metric)
I usually run 36psi front and 41psi rear

Front tire:
Has about 50% wear at centre - notably narrow flat strip
There is a distinct wear slope either side of the centre...the outermost tread still has whiskers  :)
Overall the wear is even and I don't see the strange "knobs" developing as seen with the Anakee 2.

Rear tire:
Again, about 50% wear at the centre strip.
Sides also show an angular wear band
Overall the wear is even

Off-road:
OK on good compacted dirt and well maintained gravel roads
Front slides easily on wet compacted dirt (think mud)
Front slides in "good" gravel - but this is as much me and the heavy front end of the Varadero

Overall:
Very good tire for highway and rough roads and very modest dirt/gravel
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 06:30:40 »
Trying to add photos of the Anakee 3 after 9300km.....As noted above, great tyre and looks as if it will go the distance ...just don't go too far into the mud and slime :)

IF you can see them check the wear by comparing the V notches in the tread

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:32:53 by Jasper »
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
Re: Anakee 3 and Stability
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 09:01:26 »
As noted above I'm on my third set of Anakee tires ...never used the Conti TA's so I'll comment here on the High Speed Stability of a Vara with these tires.
So, with full load, +/- passenger, side and top panniers and if you know the Trax panniers they stick out like sails on an old Galleon

I keep the tire pressures 36/41 psi (minimum)
I increase the rear suspension setting for a full load and to maximum when I have a passenger as well
I've noticed that with the Anakee 3 tires I prefer to soften the suspension a little

I've never had problems with high speed (VCIF_a_008) wobbles with this set-up and certainly never a tank slapper ...as seen on the BMuu video  :o

The problem I have is wind resistance from the Trax side panniers ...but fully loaded and especially with passenger it usually means I'm "cruising" so I'm quite content to stay down around 95kmh and no problems.

As always, YMMV

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 09:32:09 »
Jasper,

it looks like your front tyre is more worn on its left hand side than on the right hand side. Is it so?

I have this effect on mine, and I believe it is related with our riding on the right hand side of the road, but specially with the many large roundabouts I must go through in a regular basis. Do you have these as well in Canada?

Greetings,

Josep M.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 15:53:30 »
For the first time I have now seen the Anakee III on a Varadero at the Dutch club and despite the first impression when I saw the tyre after its introduction, I must admit that the Anakee III does have the looks... Its a bit strange, but still impressive.

It proves one thing... Never judge a tire on pictures or on 'experiences' from people who have actually never used it... But wait till you see / experience the real thing!  ;D

I'm still a big fan of the TAII, but I will keep a close eye on this topic too. Before my change to Conti, I admired Michelin; loved the T66(X) and the Anakee I/II.
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:30:24 »
Jasper,

it looks like your front tyre is more worn on its left hand side than on the right hand side. Is it so?

I have this effect on mine, and I believe it is related with our riding on the right hand side of the road, but specially with the many large roundabouts I must go through in a regular basis. Do you have these as well in Canada?

Greetings,

Josep M.

We don't have roundabouts ...certainly not up here in the middle of nowhere! The roads where I live & ride don't have the typical camber associated with "riding on the right side"  (I used to ride in the UK)
The tyre is evenly worn (left & right) - in the photo it's the lighting effect....I think the main problem is the lack of curved roads up here although I do try my best to find them! (Hwy 113 to Gingolx is my local favorite - about 460 km round trip)
The front tyres of Anakee 2 and 3 seem to be have the centre "too hard" and that's why we see the centre wear different to the sides. I'm starting to feel a "twitch" when I do lean into a corner but after 10k km this is to be expected ....

I was out today, maybe 5-10 deg. C  and no problem ...just being careful in the wet corners hidden by the trees ...but the tyres always seem good!
Also, on a nearby stretch of private road I had the opportunity to "clear some soot from the exhaust" ...what an incredible bike we have! (must be the VTR pedigree)

P.S. if you want to go off-road get knobbies!

Athanman

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 10:50:31 »

It proves one thing... Never judge a tire on pictures or on 'experiences' from people who have actually never used it... But wait till you see / experience the real thing!  ;D

Thats life my friend .. ;) i will keep reading your reports about Anakee 3 but so far continental trail attack 2 will be my first priority. ;D

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 06:09:29 »
...just remember if you want to truly go off-road ...get knobbies! 
I've never really found a good all round tyre.
After riding mid-size dual-sports for years I always compromised the "road ability" by using big knobby tyres  ...just live with the noise and fast tyre wear and enjoy the trails!

Not sure what I'll put on next year. I want to do some touring but also do more Forest Service Road and modest trails  ...think we need a Post for true off road tyres and the Varadero ...maybe a fresh set of TKC's for starters?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 05:38:38 by Jasper »

trex

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 00:22:22 »
I'm running a TKC80 front and Heidenau rear for the upcoming season.  Had the knobby on the front all last season with a mismatched street tire on the rear and still did lots of gravel (took longer to burn off that tirethan I thought) , although once I hit snow in the mountains it was a little dicey.  Tried Grey Creek Pass between Kimberly and Kootenay Lake a little early :)

Jokern

• HAR Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 20:12:28 »
I have god experience of Anakee 2, but this season ill try Anakee 3  ;)

Hope that they will keep me on track  :D

www.jokern.eu
Instagram : jokerns_place
Everyday is a Honda(y)
------------------------------------------------------------

Jokern

• HAR Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 23:30:41 »
Yes i got 2 sets  ;)
One dealer in Malmoe went broke and i put my hands on 2 sets for the price of 1 set  ;D ::)

No i`m not gonna use both sets this season ( i hope not )..  :D
www.jokern.eu
Instagram : jokerns_place
Everyday is a Honda(y)
------------------------------------------------------------

Madero

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 10:55:22 »
@jokern : congratulations! That's a nice deal!

@pokemi : when your tyres are completely worn on your way up to Northcape you now know where to go  ;)

djcat

• HAR Member
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 00:04:31 »
I got Anakee 3s on my bike and I can't complain. I use my bike for commuting mostly in all weather conditions on the motorway and in the city. Never felt as if they were about to loose grip even in downpour conditions.

Tyres still look good and the rear is only now starting to show the first signs of wear after 7000km (I am in the UK, but the bike got km tacho). That might be more because I don't do much fun riding on it though...

Aerios

• HAR Member
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 09:52:51 »
I got Anakee 3s on my bike and I can't complain. I use my bike for commuting mostly in all weather conditions on the motorway and in the city. Never felt as if they were about to loose grip even in downpour conditions.

Tyres still look good and the rear is only now starting to show the first signs of wear after 7000km (I am in the UK, but the bike got km tacho). That might be more because I don't do much fun riding on it though...

What is the speed index H or V?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal