Author Topic: Continental Trail Attack II with Traction Skin  (Read 24167 times)

jolly green giant

• HAR Member
Re: Continental Trail Attack II with Traction Skin
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2013, 18:02:49 »
Indeed, I do have an idea for you - dump the overrated Trail Attacks and fit a set of decent tyres like Bridgestone BattleWings. I assure you  that your bike will remain stable at any speed.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 15:48:48 »
Currently 10.000 km done on the TA2. I use the bike on high speed on the German Motorway (including full luggage, 2x H&B Alu Panniers and the giant Honda OEM topbox) and the bike is as stable like a train (not a Spanish one... ) on railtrack.

Even with strong side winds and heavy rain. And in contrary to my previous Varadero which performed EXCELLENT on the Trail Attack I, my new bike is on original suspension.

I even feel more secure with the Trail Attack 2 than I felt on the TA1.
So, I really can not understand any of the remarks made about stability.

- Have you put your complains back to Continental?
- Are the tires properly mounted on the bike, not mounted the wrong way around (sounds silly, but you really won't believe how many mechanics do make this mistake - follow the arrow on the tyre which indicates the right direction)?
- Do you use the right pressure in the tyres (Conti, but also Michelin need more pressure than Honda dictates, up to 2,4 front and 2,7 rear)?

Administrator modus on...
Please only add remarks in this section if you have used the tyre yourselves. Help our members with valid consumer experiences, bad or good, but not with assumptions. C:-)
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

renelle

• René
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2013, 01:54:43 »
- Have you put your complains back to Continental?
- Are the tires properly mounted on the bike, not mounted the wrong way around (sounds silly, but you really won't believe how many mechanics do make this mistake - follow the arrow on the tyre which indicates the right direction)?
- Do you use the right pressure in the tyres (Conti, but also Michelin need more pressure than Honda dictates, up to 2,4 front and 2,7 rear)?

Tires are definitely mounted correctly. That will not be the issue. 
I've used the tire pressure that Honda dictates (2,5 front and 2,5 rear solo, 2,5 front and 2,9 rear solo loaded). I did not have information the pressure should be more (also not from the website of Conti). What is this information based on or coming from about this pressure that it should be different?
I did not think about addressing my complains to Continental. What will this help me?
Varadero '99, H&B Crash bars, Hyperpro both at the front and rear, Conti Trail Attack II, Corbin seat, GIVI Trekker cases, Daytona All Season hot grips, IMC MIT-30 intercom

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2013, 10:18:14 »
Renelle...

Dutch custommer satisfaction regulations dictate, that any manufacturer or supplier which delivers an product or service, which does not perform as requested / prommissed, should be refunded or at least, replaced for an alternative. But: this 'reclaim' has to be done within an certain period of time after the purchase, via the supplier.

I had an sort-off discussion with PON (Dutch VAG importer) about warranty claims for my previous car (corrosion on the rims) which was even supported by my Legal Assistance Insurance... ;)

Google on 'Consumentenbond', I guess they can provide you with detailed information.

The issieu of tirepressure was told to me by an Continental (and Michelin) spokesman at the Intermot International Motorcycle Exhibition, 3 years ago.

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2013, 21:32:34 »

Dutch customer satisfaction regulations dictate, that any manufacturer or supplier which delivers an product or service, which does not perform as requested / promised, should be refunded or at least, replaced for an alternative.

Does this apply to all "services" provided in the Netherlands ? 

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 10:13:20 »

Does this apply to all "services" provided in the Netherlands ?

Me thinks the services on the red light district are exluded... However... That is considered as 'proper' 'services' in the Low Lands...  ;D

renelle

• René
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 11:14:21 »
Just checked the Continental website. The advised tyre pressure: 2,5 front, 2,9 rear.

Varadero '99, H&B Crash bars, Hyperpro both at the front and rear, Conti Trail Attack II, Corbin seat, GIVI Trekker cases, Daytona All Season hot grips, IMC MIT-30 intercom

renelle

• René
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 11:16:22 »
@Two Plugs: Do you also increase the tyre pressure when you drive with luggage? If so, how much?

jackyork

• HAR Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 17:57:10 »
High speed stability (or lack of) was a problem on my Pan and investigation revealed this to be caused by the top box. A friend found it so bad on his Yamaha that he left it en route to Spain and collected it on the way home. Problem gone.
I have not had the same problem with the 'Dero but it might be a 'size of rider' issue, causing turbulence. Panniers don't seem to cause the instability, so just try it without the to box to isolate the cause.

JK
jackyork.   Current: XL1000V ABS '11 black, Kawasaki ZX10B 1988, BSA Bantam 1958
Prev. Varadero '08.silver, Honda ST1100 Pan,'99 Triumph T120R Bonneville '67
Honda 750F 70s, BSA A10 RR '62,Norton Dominator 99 1962......many 'hacks' and a Lambretta.

Athanman

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 21:47:34 »
Just checked the Continental website. The advised tyre pressure: 2,5 front, 2,9 rear.

In what condition? With no second passenger or  side luggage for instance .. ;)

renelle

• René
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 23:40:54 »

In what condition? With no second passenger or  side luggage for instance .. ;)

As you can see on the attached screen dump, that is not mentioned...

renelle

• René
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 23:48:31 »
High speed stability (or lack of) was a problem on my Pan and investigation revealed this to be caused by the top box. A friend found it so bad on his Yamaha that he left it en route to Spain and collected it on the way home. Problem gone.
I have not had the same problem with the 'Dero but it might be a 'size of rider' issue, causing turbulence. Panniers don't seem to cause the instability, so just try it without the to box to isolate the cause.

I did not have the top case with me. Only used the two panniers...

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, 18:31:09 »
Hi Renelle,

The only thing I change on the Dero when riding with luggage, is the pre-setting of the rear suspension.
I keep the tire-pressure as it is advised by the manufacturer, perhaps a little higher during long intensive trips, but not that much more.... About + 0,2 / 0,3.

renelle

• René
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2013, 22:59:34 »
Update...

Have been away for the weekend to the German Eifel area. Wonderful place to drive, specially in autumn. Excellent grip in wet conditions with all kind of rubbish like leaves, branches and other stuff that falls from the trees in autumn. So as long as it's not going faster than 120km/h, there is no problem.

But, even with 2,7 at the front and 3,1 at the rear tire and a head bearing a little bit more tight, still unstable at higher speeds that 130km/h.

Tomorrow I'm going back to the supplier. They will check if they can find anything that could be the cause of the instability...

To be continued...

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 12:49:55 »
Renelle, what kind of panniers are you using? Honda original or after marked ones?
With my 'small' Hebco & Becker Alu Standards (37L version) and on original suspension I can hunt the Dero up to its topspeed on the German motorway and it still acts like a train on a railroad...

I do use the original (large...) Honda topbox.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal