Author Topic: Few CrossTourers  (Read 17354 times)

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
Re: Few CrossTourers
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2013, 17:53:33 »

The Chevrolet Nova had a similar problem... Since 'no va' means "it doesn't go" in Spanish (Perhaps Josep can comfirm?), the oft-repeated story goes, Latin American car buyers shunned the car, forcing Chevrolet to embarrassedly pull the car out of the market.

I too had heard this story. "no va"= "doesn't go" or "doesn't run" or "doesn't work".

In Catalonia we can see some Nissan Pixo, and "pixo"="I piss" in Catalan.  ;D
We don't seem to mind very much; after all, we are the ones who include a defecating peasant in our Christmas Nativity scenes  8)

Regards,

Josep

jackyork

• HAR Member
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2013, 04:06:29 »
Kackondeu! where's this thread going?

(No idea of the spelling, you don't find it in dictionaries).

Felice Navidad.

JK
jackyork.   Current: XL1000V ABS '11 black, Kawasaki ZX10B 1988, BSA Bantam 1958
Prev. Varadero '08.silver, Honda ST1100 Pan,'99 Triumph T120R Bonneville '67
Honda 750F 70s, BSA A10 RR '62,Norton Dominator 99 1962......many 'hacks' and a Lambretta.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2013, 02:25:31 »
From experience, if you own a Crosstourer you would not miss the Varadero

I absolutely agree...
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2013, 00:02:52 »
I don't agree...  ;D But did you guys think otherwise from me...  ;D ;)

Less height,
Less allweather protection...
Less fuel economy...

Even a better suspension, shaft ride can't make up for it... and a +5.000 Euro price tag doesn't help either.
Handling isn't that much better either.

Maybe we should stop comparing the CT with the Dero... In my modest opinion, the CT is a total different concept, but developed for the same public as the Dero was. Honda did not succeed - they only did partially cause there is no alternative from the Honda company.
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Athanman

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2013, 20:15:01 »

Maybe we should stop comparing the CT with the Dero... In my modest opinion, the CT is a total different concept, but developed for the same public as the Dero was. Honda did not succeed - they only did partially cause there is no alternative from the Honda company.

So sad conclusion  for Honda but  its true! There is no alternative way (so far) ,if you decide to leave from the Varadero heaven ,the next choice is many miles away from Honda.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2013, 21:49:42 »
Or stay on your (old) varadero  :)
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2013, 14:15:01 »
Have received some reviews regarding the 2014 Suzuki Vstrom DL1000V... That one is getting close. Even the price tag (€ 12.999,- in NL) is similar to that of the Varadero...

jackyork

• HAR Member
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2013, 16:55:29 »
Just read the V-Strom review in Motorcycle News. This is definitely aimed at our market....and even takes account of old, small, weaker ones like me.

In the same paper is Nick Sanders' three day, 2,206 mile Yamaha MT-09 report; he says that's the bike for him.

Maybe not so good for you 2m+  guys but as with my 'old' Vara, we are both still going and this one is newer than I have ever run before so, we'll see who lasts longest.

JK

jackyork.   Current: XL1000V ABS '11 black, Kawasaki ZX10B 1988, BSA Bantam 1958
Prev. Varadero '08.silver, Honda ST1100 Pan,'99 Triumph T120R Bonneville '67
Honda 750F 70s, BSA A10 RR '62,Norton Dominator 99 1962......many 'hacks' and a Lambretta.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2013, 09:00:00 »
I'm so surprised by your comments.  I rate the Crosstourer way more than the Varadero, other than for price. 
MrKiwi

meine dicke

• Only soaring is nicer
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2013, 14:28:52 »
IMHO both, Dero and CT, have pros and cons.
But that's everyone´s cup of tea.

And the new VStrom first has to prove that it's a good bike.

Greetings from the South of Germany ...
Rainer
Think positive - Flaps negative
YAMAHA XT 1200 ZE Worldcrosser
VDT 2010;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23;24
IAHT 2013;16
VIM 2014;15;16;17;18;19;[20];[21];22;23; 24 (ORGA)
Since 2010: CBF600 (10.000); Varadero (100.000); XT1200ZE (since 11/2016 >= 141.000)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2013, 18:29:45 »
IMHO both, Dero and CT, have pros and cons.
But that's everyone´s cup of tea.

And the new VStrom first has to prove that it's a good bike.

Greetings from the South of Germany ...
Rainer

I don't think Suzuki is going to do the same mistake they did with the previous DL1000V (which was, by the way, successful in the US till last year where it was taken from the market in Europe decades ago). With both their MK 1 and MK2 DL650V Stroms Suzuki have proven, that a comfy, successful and reliable bigtrail bike with excellent power-to-fuel economy ratio doens't have to cost a fortune, and that evolution of an existing model sometimes is the better choice...

The CT has its pro's as well. But if I judge the bike on the way I would use it, comparing it with my current Varadero, it doesn't add up. The CT isn't worse or bad than the Varadero, but it is not (much) better either.

An excellent write up I found at ADVRIDER forum... where the CT was compared with all its rivals...
The conclusion:

MY TWO CENTAVOS:
By the end of a day the Honda left a feeling of "nice bike." What I did not get was the "I want one" more than the Triumph, Yam, or BMuu.

The link:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906374

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2013, 11:38:37 »
An excellent write up I found at ADVRIDER forum... where the CT was compared with all its rivals...
The conclusion:

MY TWO CENTAVOS:
By the end of a day the Honda left a feeling of "nice bike." What I did not get was the "I want one" more than the Triumph, Yam, or BMuu.

The link:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906374

I've ridden the Multi-Strada, the Cross Tourer, the Tenare and the Explorer.  Of the four, I found the CT the most versatile (except for on gravel), easiest to ride and most comfortable.  The Multi Strada was the most fun and easily the most sporty (if that's what you want), while the Explorer and the Tenare didn't catch my attention.  The V4 of the Honda is in my view a tad heavy but otherwise a brilliant motor.   As a road tourer the CT is very hard to beat.  As a gravel runner, it is too heavy but fortunately the centre of gravity is reasonably low (unlike the Explorer).

I will be riding the KTM 1190 Adventure for three months from mid February, looking forward to that, especially looking forward to evaluating how the ABS, traction control and stability control systems work together in a range of road conditions.

Ah well, each to there own... 8)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 11:47:02 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2013, 17:31:47 »
Don't ride the KTM, Mr Kiwi...

That bike is really good... And to be honest, together with the new V-strom 1000 the only bike in this league which is really comparable with the Varadero regarding specs. Maybe even the Versys 1000 could be added to the list too, except for the fact that that bike is an 4 cylinder.

The others (Crosstourer, GS, Tiger Adventurer, Super10) are just another class of their own...

I was very, very impressed by the Yamaha S10 (Super10, short for Super Tenere)

italy1

• HAR Member
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 18:17:43 »
I fell in love with the looks of the Super10 but once taken it out for a test ride, the love affair was over quick.......in my opinion Honda has produced some technically fab machines but they luck the whoomph factor!

The factor that makes you grovel after one as u see it riding past in the street and that puts a big smile on your face the first time you pull away. I have been on a varadero for 5 years and I am likely to buy a second one soon.

Having said that i totally respect CT's enthusiasts owners but I could not justify the price tag......
"...we are all more or less insane...." (E. Fromm)

Red

• HAR Member
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2014, 12:14:58 »
I'm sort-of committed to getting a CT; I test-rode one recently and I'm ready to press the button for selling my 2011 Vara and  taking a mortgage out for a second-hand CT.

What really appeals is the drive-shaft, and in general, you know that's going to add another grand or 2.

I'm 11 stone wet-through, and the Vara has always felt a little more than I can handle at a stand-still and very low speeds.
Don't get me wrong, I could't fault the Vara on anything once I got it kitted out; MRA screen, hand-shields, heated grips.
Maintenance is minimal, I ride it throughout the year and riding even in gale force wasn't an issue and it feels like it sticks to the road like glue. It's size / height made me feel safer also (due to increased visibility).

On the CT test, what was obvious was smoothness and the fact that at high-speed - you just don't know you're travelling at high-speed. If you can imagine doing 120 mph on the CT and it feels like 80 mph on the Vara - you got it.
It feels lighter and the centre of gravity feels lower (don't know if either is a physical fact) and it feels much more reactive.

I am getting a niggling feeling that I may regret it, but as Vara production has stopped - I feel like I've got to bite the bullet some time.  :-[ I've only been riding for a few years, but it seems that everyone has their 'all-time' faves; I'm pretty sure that the Vara will be mine.

I paid £6k for my Vara 18 months ago, and can get £6k for it now (albeit with various add-ons). I can only hope that the CT can hold it's price just as well.

I forgot to add that an MRA screen add-on will be a must.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal