Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer - Honda's biggest Adventure Tourer > Mechanical

Spokes had enough..

(1/3) > >>

TiuSo:
Got back home from nine days gravel tour in Northeast Lapland, over 4000 km on Michelin Anakee Wild's.. Washed the bike next day and started to change the rear tyre, next weekend trip less than two week's away..

Did not bother to proceed with the tyre, as I found out that I'm missing at least 11 spokes.. Sad thing is that apparently there are no spoke set available in Europe, I was promised delivery at 9th september at the soonest (!). Did not found anything else than Honda OEM..

Grr..

zebulon:
Seems they are available here
Think please about upload pictures elsewhere and just link them here;our servers cannot accept so much place

VCIF_salut

meine dicke:
Loosing 11 spokes is a lot.
Didnīt you check the spokes a) before your travel and b) during your travel (at the end of a day)?

I do it and never had any trouble with my spokes at a Super Tenere, although the Super Tenere has as well some problems with.

Greetings from the South of Germany
Rainer aka meine dicke

Jyrays:
You must have been riding pretty heavily.

I got my rim and spokes bend when needed to jump over a hole in road at Albania, but none got broken...

TiuSo:
I checked them before I left, as I put on new tyre. All spokes were good. Looked around the bike briefly every morning, but did not notice anything (i did not knock the spokes). I think I heard spokes rattling on the day I got home.. The spokes of front wheel are good (by sound).

On fourth day I did broke the left footpeg at kaakkurikonelo, never again SW Motech pegs (second time this happened..)! I do stand on pegs a lot, and the peg was cleanly cut off.. Minor jump, but with some speed.. Managed to patch the peg back to bike, but for the rest of the trip, no standing on the pegs..

There are some really stony roads up there, but earlier I have not had anything like this (5th summer with my CT). In this trip, Varadero and BMuu F800GS did the same route without any problems. I am heavy, and we were not slow.. But up there you are not taking any foolish risks, those areas are rather remote (not even cell coverage..), so the speed has to remain sensible. But we did carry all the gear with us all the time.

Last year I had one spoke missing at Naruska (the same region), spotted it the same day, but nothing else. Got home and changed one spoke (actually not me, but somebody who does it for living...). On that trip, there were a few bikes with bent rims and some broken tyres.., so I though I had hitted a rock or something. In my opinion, Honda rim is very good and sturdy, comparing for example to KTM..

The spokes in that link are available in September.. Delivered here in Finland approx. on 9th. I had to cancel my trip next weekend.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version