Honda CRF1000L/CRF1100L Africa Twin - Honda's latest Adventure Bike > CRF1000L/CRF1100L Africa Twin riders experiences

First serious off road event

(1/3) > >>

Djairouks:
Last Sunday I attended a BMuu event and tried their off road courses, got too confident and bit the dust hard on my hip, still recovering though nothing broken.

Now I'd love some advice and tips from the more seasoned off roaders here, because while I enjoyed the ride a lot and saw how faster and better I was riding,
than the guys on their huge BMuus tractors  ;), I really felt the first gear is insanely too nervous on dirt, my arms got fatigued pretty quickly.
I then tried 2nd gear and was having a better ride, but suddenly I went too fast in a angled turn, the rear let go and I went down so how do you guys actually
ride the AT, is it just me not having enough training and endurance on the 1st gear !?

Tried the BMuu 1200GS on 1st in enduro mode and it's butter, though it didn't give me the grin and satisfaction my AT did, but I can see why people buy these
tractors, not for me though I hated the gearbox and hit my long legs in the cylinders all the time...

zebulon:
(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/sdk.js#xfbml=1&version=v2.3"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs);}(document, "script", "facebook-jssdk"));
--- End quote ---

Some basic information here ...  VCIF_salut
(Sure you understand French ;) )

zebulon:

An inside view of the same one ...
My experience is (after 40 years of not riding offroad anymore); doing some training with a propfessionnal is a must  VCIF_ThumbUp
I've done with Jean-Pierre Goy (James Bond - Jason Bourne stunts ) , not far from you and valuable .

One think: forgot what you do on the road  ;D

zebulon:

--- Quote from: Djairouks on June 15, 2018, 16:24:47 ---I really felt the first gear is insanely too nervous on dirt, my arms got fatigued pretty quickly.

--- End quote ---

Sure you have to take the second one  :D and sure you are too much contracted, you must stay flexible on arms and hands ...

--- Quote from: Djairouks on June 15, 2018, 16:24:47 ---I then tried 2nd gear and was having a better ride, but suddenly I went too fast in a angled turn, the rear let go and I went down so how do you guys actually
ride the AT, is it just me not having enough training and endurance on the 1st gear !?

--- End quote ---

Do not know which TC you have chosen , but perhaps keep position 2 or 1 (with a little control) before you know how to control rear (with brake and throttle)...
Have you down flat your tires ? less pressure is more control  !  VCIF_ThumbUp

Here are my small knowns in this part, but sure more you do, more you appreciate and more you control   VCIF_ThumbUp

Djairouks:

--- Quote from: zebulon on June 16, 2018, 18:54:43 ---
--- Quote from: Djairouks on June 15, 2018, 16:24:47 ---I really felt the first gear is insanely too nervous on dirt, my arms got fatigued pretty quickly.

--- End quote ---

Sure you have to take the second one  :D and sure you are too much contracted, you must stay flexible on arms and hands ...

--- Quote from: Djairouks on June 15, 2018, 16:24:47 ---I then tried 2nd gear and was having a better ride, but suddenly I went too fast in a angled turn, the rear let go and I went down so how do you guys actually

--- End quote ---

Do not know which TC you have chosen , but perhaps keep position 2 or 1 (with a little control) before you know how to control rear (with brake and throttle)...
Have you down flat your tires ? less pressure is more control  !  VCIF_ThumbUp

Here are my small knowns in this part, but sure more you do, more you appreciate and more you control   VCIF_ThumbUp

--- End quote ---

I was with TC on 3, rear ABS on and we didn't air down the tires that's for the AT, on the 1200GS honestly no idea about all this and I think tires were aired normally,
but the GS had genuine knobbies on them though and the AT TKC 70 !

But so if I need to use 2nd gear, then why is the 1st so damn arm stretching, I thought it was geared especially for off road rather than highways !?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version