Honda XL1000V Varadero - The bike that started our community! > Mechanical

Intermittent Starting issues with FI light On

(1/3) > >>

Gandalf:
Hi all,
Have a 2008 Varadero, and sometimes after turning ignition on, the Fuel Injection light comes on, but doesn't go off. So it will not start. Most of the time, turning it off for a few seconds and back on again, it will do it's check and turn off, after which it will start immediately.

This morning, after multiple off and on, the only way to get the FI light to turn off was to try to start the bike with the light on. The engine turned a couple of turns, without starting, of course. Turned ignition off then back on again and it went into the proper starting sequence and started correctly.

Tried it later, without any issues.

Hopefully it's not an ECU problem.  Anybody seen this as well?

Athanman:
Dear Gandalf be sure that FI light so far has tortured many of us. There were lots of posts written about that issue . Be a little patient in order to let the mods guide you to those past messages. Im sure that everything will be ok in the end.

db55:
I have had this issue since i got the bike, its intermittent so it does not bother me.
I do as you did, crank it a few with light on, then turn ign off then on again and it always starts.
Something to do with the crank position sensor or something.
It has never left me stranded, but one day i might have it looked at. Problem is, it will never do it when you want to show someone!!

I wouldnt worry about it.

Cheers

Two Plugs:
Have you checked the HISS light too? It is a known issue with the MK2 Varadero, although I never experienced the problem on my previous MK2 (2004). On my current one (2011) every now and then, the HISS light (little red LED in the dash) won't switch off (result: FI light stays on too!) and the bike won't start.

At the 2nd attempt, the HISS LED does switch off and the engine runs. Its not a regular returning problem, but it can be a real irritating one...

Gandalf:
Thanks all,

That's what I wanted to know. If it has happened to most and nobody else is concerned, I will not worry about it. Just did not want to be left stranded.

Two Plugs, I will note the HISS light status next time it happens. Do you know if the key may be causing the light not to turn off? In any case I will try my spare key if I have starting issues in the future.

Thanks for the info guys.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version