Author Topic: Tourance Next tires  (Read 29663 times)

Nickj

• HAR Member
Re: Tourance Next tires
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 02:50:37 »
Nick to the bike shop - "Can you please order me in a 110/90 19 Metzeller Tourance EXP please"
Bike shop - "No probs"

When I went to pick up the wheel and tyre - "Oh the EXP is now superceded with the NEXT"
Nick - "Looks more road oriented, I will give it a go" (I probably do much more bitumen than dirt road riding)

So, I will post when I have done a few worthwhile kms...

Nick

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 23:46:11 »
Front 110/90 19" ???

Have some 5000k on mine now, so far so good! Good traction in wet and in dry. Yes, been to Norway with them..

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 00:25:55 »
I loved the Tourance on my carb Dero, but I've never been so badly than with EXP on my first SD02... Never tried the new Next exept on small ride on crosstourer, and I don't find them worst than other ... But not enough ride to have an opinion.  8)
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 00:51:45 »
Had ordinary Tourance on when I bought the Dero. Lot of kilometers but was a calm and gentle driver then.. Guess I've got 23000 km out of them.
Tried the EXP, they melted like erasers in french and spanish roads. Perhaps better for scandinavian conditions. Had ordinary Tourance again but this set was much softer than the previous. Don't know if it was a test tire for Next compound or speedindex was higher than the original. Or driver style has changed....

Grip or Mileage.. Trying to find the best combination. Next is not a tire for mud or sand, behaves good in dry gravel but don't think it is far from a Michelin Pilot Road 3&4 Trail

texas

• SD02 2006 and SD02 2008
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 13:28:49 »
Hello,

how many km can I expect the Tourance Next to last. Will they do abt 10kkm?
Enduranceriders have longer fun.

varonda

• AT rallye colours -- a.k.a. grandpa grumpy
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2018, 16:03:49 »
 Just to say I bought a new Triumph 800 XRT a while ago that came with Tourance Next fitted as standard --- they were replaced with Michelin PR4 trails at the first service [ 500 miles - don't know what that is in kilometres ! ] -- absolutely atrocious bits of rubber --- however on the bright side the triumph has gone and the Big Africa Twin is in its place , and the Dunlop ditchfinders have been replaced with Conti Trail Attack2 which are superb---the bike only goes on tarmac.
Keep smiling and keep the round black thingies on the road. VCIF_ThumbUp
If the truth fits---wear it !!!!

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2018, 16:27:10 »
The worst tire I've rided on my Varaderos , with the T66  ;D loved the Tourance and rided a few, but absolutely not the Next ...

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 11:47:12 »
Just to say I bought a new Triumph 800 XRT a while ago that came with Tourance Next fitted as standard --- they were replaced with Michelin PR4 trails at the first service [ 500 miles - don't know what that is in kilometres ! ] -- absolutely atrocious bits of rubber --- however on the bright side the triumph has gone and the Big Africa Twin is in its place , and the Dunlop ditchfinders have been replaced with Conti Trail Attack2 which are superb---the bike only goes on tarmac.
Keep smiling and keep the round black thingies on the road. VCIF_ThumbUp

1 mile = 1,6 km ;) 500 miles makes about 800 km.  ;)

Never been a big fan of Metzeler tires on any of the Honda trail bikes I owned (Transalp, Africa Twin 750, Varadero) but to be honest, never tried the NEXT nor EXP.
Agree with Varonda in his quote above: the Continental Trail Attack II is the best tire I have used on the Varadero till so far.

Eager to try the Conti TKC70 at the next swap. 

But these days, there are so many good tires available for the big Varadero... Not easy to choose. Its all about personal preferences I guess. Gilles (Zebulon) hated the good old Michelin T66. I loved them. But maybe I am a more skilled rider, who knows?  ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 11:49:11 by Two Plugs »
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

varonda

• AT rallye colours -- a.k.a. grandpa grumpy
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 13:37:42 »
 Had one of the original Africa twins and that had the old T66 fitted -- they were the first dual compound   ;) , in that in the dry they were superb but awful in the wet  ;) ;) loved that old 750 but the only issue we had was the seat wasn't made for 2 people of our generous stature so it had to go . We were happy when the big Dero showed its face and ended up having 3 of them. :)
If the truth fits---wear it !!!!

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 13:59:15 »
Really don't know why tyre threads like this, when it is asked about a certain tyre, always spins out and every opinion that is made, is from those who haven't tried them and proposing another brand..

That is not the question from the topicstarter what you prefer to ride on. It is what opinions you have on the Metzeler Tourance Next. Pro and cons

Next is the next generation of the EXP Tyre. A little softer rubbermixcompound that handles well in wet conditions and average temperature is below +20°C. Warmer and hotter days with a different structure of tarmac have effect on this compound. In high temperatures when Asphalt tends to bleed and tar is melting up to the surface. It is needed to have another structure on tarmac with a harder surface. This will wear the Next tyre out pretty fast

Anakee 3 is about the same compound. Those tyres might be excellent for the Scandinavian road network with a little cooler summer or work as a winter tyre to handle rain in southern parts of Europe

A friend of mine rented bike in Barcelona to get up to the Pyrenees. He asked if they had NEXT on because he was used to that tyre back home.
Renter just told him, that they can't use them of the reason that I just described and the original Tourance or Anakee2 last longer and fit perfect for the conditions my friend was out to explore

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 12:01:56 »
I agree fully on the 'climate' thing and the experiences you described from that rental company, Magnus. Can remember discussions with our Greek / Italian members regarding tires which are popular in North / Western Europe, but considered utterly useless around the Mediterranean...  :o

Don't really mind bringing in other tires as comparing material. What I do remember is that the Metz (Tourance and the 'old' Enduro 4) where - very - durable; easy to knock the 10.000km marque.

Can't judge that for the EXP or NEXT though. What would be your estimation after your first 5.000km?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:07:56 by Two Plugs »
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 20:55:52 »
Really don't know why tyre threads like this, when it is asked about a certain tyre, always spins out and every opinion that is made, is from those who haven't tried them and proposing another brand..

so we have to moderate  ;)

Anakee 3 is about the same compound. Those tyres might be excellent for the Scandinavian road network with a little cooler summer or work as a winter tyre to handle rain in southern parts of Europe

VCIF_a_008 have we to moderate ???  ;D

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 21:37:03 »
I don't get it, Zebulon?

I'm using the Anakees and other Metzler as a reference to get a picture what compound is all about.

I'm not promote the Tyre I'm using and write that the TS should use that instead. Giving information about the actual Next Tyre, since that was the question.

Truck

• HAR Member
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2020, 01:48:33 »
Well Ive had a set on my Varadero since early July 2017 and I am loving every second of them, and to date the best tyre I’ve ever had on a bike, I’ve done around 7000miles (11265km) on them, grip wise they will go all the way to the sidewall then skip if that is how you wish to ride on them  ;), most of them miles are touring from the uk to Europe and around Europe, and yes we had the red hot weather and rain on both of those trips, on my last trip through the alps to Venice and back with various stops on the way, the front was just starting to wear uneven the centre was starting to square and the tread just off centre was starting to cup/scallop and got worse over the trip there was a fair bit of motorway riding to be done to make up time, and I was with my dad who is now the wrong side of 70 on his Suzuki burgman so it’s not the most rapid pace to round your tyres back off lol, the rear tyre is still in good shape and hasn’t worn as much as the front I would say the front tyre has another 2000 miles (3218km) left on if before it will need replacement, it was mentioned at the last mot test that the front tyre was starting to wear uneven and will soon need replacement.
So to sum up a good tyre that I will be using again and I do highly rate them, so much that I now have a second set on wheels ready to replace my current set when they wear out  VCIF_ThumbUp

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal