Author Topic: Parts in Canada  (Read 3715 times)

Fullcircle

• HAR Member
Parts in Canada
« on: January 26, 2020, 16:14:06 »
I have been looking at either a Varadero, found a nice one for sale, or a V-Strom.
Can anyone tell me what part availability is like in Canada? 
I am planning on riding from Calgary to Tuktoyaktuk and don't want to find out parts are impossible to get.

thanks

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: Parts in Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 18:27:09 »
wich kind of parts are you looking for ? you do not need too much parts, varadero is very reliable motorcycle; only some known problems, you can find listing this forum and levers etc... in the event of a fall .  VCIF_ok
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 01:27:36 »
Honda dealers can get parts. I don't think you'll have much luck finding the parts anywhere else. The bike didn't really sell a lot here in Canada, so you may have to wait a couple days (or longer) for Honda to move parts through their network.
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 16:17:06 »
I have been looking at either a Varadero, found a nice one for sale, or a V-Strom.
Can anyone tell me what part availability is like in Canada? 
I am planning on riding from Calgary to Tuktoyaktuk and don't want to find out parts are impossible to get.

thanks

Post ordering parts can help, there still is a lot on stock in Europe. Problem with the Varadero in Canada was, that it only was sold through the Honda Powerhouse network, not through the Honda Motorcycle dealer organisation.
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

VaraWaldi

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2020, 18:37:20 »
Itīs hard to tell what parts you like to take with you if you drive so fare to the north!?

When you by a used or 2. hand bike then you have to be able to rely on what the owner tells you about the bike...
The previous owner spoke only the best about the XL ...

Because 2 years ago i bought a 2008 varadero with only 10.000 km on the speedometer and the bike was locking like new. After that i didn't have too much time to try the bike. But i wanted to make a trip to the USA a short time later and then had some problems there.

OK, 11 days and 5500 Km later and a drive through from Alberta, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, Whasington and back via BC and then back here to Alberta. Sometimes brought beads of sweat to my forehead.

The problem, it always smelled of gasoline and every now and then after refueling and closing the tank cap and starting the ignition, gasoline came out from under the tank cap, ran over the tank and also over my pants. Incredible.

Before I drove to the USA I had the tank off, I found a double bend hose from the tank. I also marked all the 5 hoses before I pulled them off. I changed the bend hose but that was probably not the problem.

VaraWaldi

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2020, 19:22:19 »
Good 3 weeks after the USA trip, the varadero did not start any more. Before and after the trip I had several visits and discussions with honda dealers about this problem but nobody could give me a advice.

A dealer here wanted to hang her on a computer to find a bug.
After three weeks, he answered. No electrical fault but a complete dirty and clogged gasoline problem. The repair should cost at least 3500, - can dollars. New gasolin pump, new injectors and and.

Stop. I picked up the disassembled Varadero and paid 600,-  to take it apart.
Now i wanted to deal with the problem. They wanted to exchange everything but what was the right problem, the trigger?
I found the problem. I have to say i am a little from this field, i am a machinist for about 40 years.
How could dirt and peeled paint (it was from around the tank cap) get into the gasoline system where there are 3 filters?

I took the gas pump apart and cleaned it. I had the injectors checked. I built everything, the tank, the pump with hoses, the battery with cables here on my deck and gave it a try with gasoline. Everything worked great.
But why did it happen? I found out the problem.
Two mixed up hoses under the tank. The pressure hose from the pump was interchanged with the hose of the overflow. The previous owner is an office worker and made almost nothing himself on the bike.

During a maintenence visit to the Honda dealer, the hoses were probably exchanged when changing the air filter. Then he had the problem, could not find it and sold the XL.
Everyone was surprised that the Varadero was still running for so long. But it's a Honda.
I paid a total of 50,- can dollars for this repair. and the cheeky dealer 600,- to take it apart.

That's just an example of what you can have. A small cause but big impact.

Greetings from northern Albera

Walter

VaraWaldi

• HAR Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 19:33:43 »
Last year i also completely overhauled the fork suspension including new brake pads from Lucas, progressive springs from Wirth new sliders inside and all other parts.
I got the parts here in Canada and Germany. I also installed rubber coverings from Italy for the fork because there are many rockchips here in Alberta.

Someone would like to know more then ask me!!!

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 15:18:48 »
Good 3 weeks after the USA trip, the varadero did not start any more. Before and after the trip I had several visits and discussions with honda dealers about this problem but nobody could give me a advice.

A dealer here wanted to hang her on a computer to find a bug.
After three weeks, he answered. No electrical fault but a complete dirty and clogged gasoline problem. The repair should cost at least 3500, - can dollars. New gasolin pump, new injectors and and.

Stop. I picked up the disassembled Varadero and paid 600,-  to take it apart.
Now i wanted to deal with the problem. They wanted to exchange everything but what was the right problem, the trigger?
I found the problem. I have to say i am a little from this field, i am a machinist for about 40 years.
How could dirt and peeled paint (it was from around the tank cap) get into the gasoline system where there are 3 filters?

I took the gas pump apart and cleaned it. I had the injectors checked. I built everything, the tank, the pump with hoses, the battery with cables here on my deck and gave it a try with gasoline. Everything worked great.
But why did it happen? I found out the problem.
Two mixed up hoses under the tank. The pressure hose from the pump was interchanged with the hose of the overflow. The previous owner is an office worker and made almost nothing himself on the bike.

During a maintenence visit to the Honda dealer, the hoses were probably exchanged when changing the air filter. Then he had the problem, could not find it and sold the XL.
Everyone was surprised that the Varadero was still running for so long. But it's a Honda.
I paid a total of 50,- can dollars for this repair. and the cheeky dealer 600,- to take it apart.

That's just an example of what you can have. A small cause but big impact.

Greetings from northern Albera

Walter

Good you fixed it! Bad for Honda dealers :(

I went with AT several times to Strasbourg Honda and they didn't find any reason for high idle speed (specially bad with DCT as you cannot but it on gear). They charged oil change even I didn't order it just to get some money. 140 euro.

I went to independent Honda mechanic in Slovenia and he fixed it in 5 min... Fork oil and engine oil change 60 euro.
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 18:33:19 »
I went with AT several times to Strasbourg Honda and they didn't find any reason for high idle speed

known problem on AT: oil in the air box that cannot be evacuated by breather  VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 10:07:11 »
I went with AT several times to Strasbourg Honda and they didn't find any reason for high idle speed

known problem on AT: oil in the air box that cannot be evacuated by breather  VCIF_salut

I know it now.... And Honda Strasbourg does not  >:(
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal