Author Topic: Avon TrekRider tire  (Read 4606 times)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Avon TrekRider tire
« on: October 03, 2017, 00:14:26 »
Hi
I'm about to fit the Avon TrekRider tire to the rear of my AT. I'll let your know what I think of the tire once I have given it a good test.

Hopefully, if I can source the tire, it will be fitted next week.

In November I will head off for a 5 day tour, all on tarmac, so will be a good test of the 50/50 tire for normal tarmac road duty. I'll give it a burst on gravel sometime soon too.
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Re: Avon TrekRider tire
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 03:03:29 »
Hit my first snag!

The recommended tire size for the rear of the AT is 150/70 18 whereas I can only get a 140/80 18 trekrider tire in NZ.

Looks like I can't fit it, or do any of you think the 140/80 will fit OK?
MrKiwi

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 03:18:26 »
Yes. I had one on my bike. Fits perfectly. No issues. Different sidewall height, same tube size (fits better) and great tire. In the other thread I mentioned the longevity of the tire and its characteristics.
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 05:39:58 »
Yes. I had one on my bike. Fits perfectly. No issues. Different sidewall height, same tube size (fits better) and great tire. In the other thread I mentioned the longevity of the tire and its characteristics.

This was fitted to an AT or the Varadero?
MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 15:24:01 »
<superfunkomatic have an AT (too?); nice to have your profile updated please >

Feel free to open a new thread in AT section as said by MrKiwi... easier to find information later  VCIF_ok

@ superfunkomatic have you done a few off-road with it? and if yes what kind? thx  VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

superfunkomatic

• superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 05:03:17 »
Here's a link to the original discussion, which was actually in the Varadero forum for some reason.

Really liked the Avon Trekriders on my AT.

http://honda-adventure-riders.com/index.php?topic=1645.msg19457#msg19457

Well, I've returned from my cross-Canada journey and I have to say - I like these tires, a lot! They are excellent.

Almost exactly 15,000 kilometers of riding on them before the rear was completely worn out. The front actually still has some life left.

I'd highly recommend the Trekriders to anyone looking for a good 50/50 tire. No problem with the rear tire size either - 140 80R18 fits just fine and feels right on the bike.

Here are some observations:

On pavement it felt as good as the Pilot Road 4 Trails I had on my Varadero - which says a lot - they're that good.

I pushed them on twisty roads, rode in wet and rain on several occasions - excellent in all conditions.

Offroad they are steady and predictable and bite into surface well. I'd say about 10% of my time on these tires was in gravel and dirt road use. Worked well in packed dirt, loose gravel and even oatmeal type muck. The only place they didn't work well was loose sandy surfaces, but I'd guess that only a true knobby would work there.

It's a single compound tire and wears evenly through its life. The tires remained easy to turn in and cornered the same throughout their use right to the end.

I had a front flat (twice) on my journey and it was easy to remove the tire with simple hand tools.

At 15,000 kilometres they go on, and on, and on. If you use them primarily for dirt and gravel I'd say at about 12,000 kilometres they would stop being useful. On the pavement they were fine all the way.

If you're looking for a long-life and multi-purpose tire this is an excellent one. I've got a set of Mitas E-07 and Shinko 804/805 tires to try next to compare but I can safely say this is one of my favourite tires to date - period.

The rear tire is flat and worn across the surface and right to the bottom of the tread. The front has about 3mm left and still corners fine so could probably go at least another 1,000-1,500 kilometres.

** I chose the Shinko 804/805 tires now. Really like them, too. Also absolutely excellent in gravel (best yet) and really good on road as well.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:06:31 by superfunkomatic »
2016 CRF250L

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 07:55:25 »
Well I went and looked at the tire today and saw how narrow the 140 is compared to the 150, and have decided not for me. I've made the decision to stick with the TKC70.
MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2017, 11:25:23 »
Superfunkomatic have you a picture of the tire on the bike please ?

Have perhaps a try on it in the future ...

Modus on <if you do not have Varadero anymore, nice to change your bike in profile,thx>modus off
 VCIF_salut

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 06:49:49 »

Modus on <if you do not have Varadero anymore, nice to change your bike in profile,thx>modus off
 VCIF_salut

To be honest, there was were two reasons why I asked if it was on the AT as opposed to the Varadero, firstly the comments were in the Varadero thread, and secondly his profile said he owned a Varadero.
MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 09:47:41 »
Perfect David, easier if we have right bike in profile as asked ...  VCIF_ok
And easier in the future , to find information, if we have one thread /bike
 VCIF_ThumbUp

superfunkomatic

• superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 05:08:09 »

I've tried posting photos to the forum. Unless they are on another website I get an error - file too big.
The post was in a general tire thread and I believe the Trekriders are only available in the AT sizes not 17/19".

Superfunkomatic have you a picture of the tire on the bike please ?

Have perhaps a try on it in the future ...

VCIF_salut
2016 CRF250L

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 10:07:16 »
Thx for the pics  VCIF_salut
This thread is in AT section, so everything is ok, and an other one here show that they are available in 17' & 19'.
(Have you seen you have lost your plate ?  VCIF_a_008  ;D )

superfunkomatic

• superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2017, 17:46:37 »

Yes, the plate.
I was in Northern Quebec when crossing Canada this summer and I had a vanity plate on my bike 'BGADV'. Someone stole it for a souvenir so I rode the rest of the way from Radisson, Quebec (one of Canada's most remote towns still accessible by road) to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island without a plate. The one in the second picture was brought by my spouse as a replacement on the plane (old one from my Varadero).

Thx for the pics  VCIF_salut
This thread is in AT section, so everything is ok, and an other one here show that they are available in 17' & 19'.
(Have you seen you have lost your plate ?  VCIF_a_008 ;D )
2016 CRF250L

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal