Author Topic: MrKiwi's farkling of his AT  (Read 19682 times)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Re: MrKiwi's farkling of his AT
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2018, 00:21:10 »
It has been a little while since I posted in this thread and in the meantime I have continued with some farkling.

I recently ordered the following:
  • Touratech comfort seat - standard. I prefer a single piece seat and the comfort seat is not only a single piece, but is also 2cm higher than the stock AT seat. It has a better seat layout for the pillion. Seat preferences is a personal thing and for me this should resolve one big problem with the stock seat. With 12,000km on the bike the seat is too firm. I can't ride it for more than 4 hours on a day without getting severe bum fatigue. For someone used to doing 800km days this is not good enough. Here's hoping the new seat resolves that.
  • Touratech bar risers, 20 mm. The handle bars need the lift to make standing on gravel more manageable.
  • Touratech side stand foot extender.
With the Ohlins rear suspension and overrated spring the bike stands taller. The standard seat and foot extender will fit nicely.

MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2018, 08:25:20 »
Seems my farkling is continuing.

The Camel tank is now fitted and fuel lines connected. The fuel gauge used to drop the first indicator bar at around 70kms, now it is close to 200kms. The auxiliary tank is giving me about 130kms of extra range.

A mate helping me fit the fuel lines

A contact told me they had sold their AT, and he had a slightly used heated Sargent seat for sale. I took it off his hands for an agreed price.

And I have also fitted this shield deflector, it cuts down on the amount of air coming from the forks hitting you in the face.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 08:27:23 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2018, 11:38:47 »
And I have also fitted this shield deflector, it cuts down on the amount of air coming from the forks hitting you in the face.

Bought a new second jet helmet (for hot days & off road sessions) with a visor and still not disturbed by air coming from the fork hole ...  ???
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Jack Sawdayee

• HAR Member
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2018, 09:59:47 »
advance to Adventure Sport

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2018, 10:46:07 »

And Surely some pictures soon  VCIF_ok  ;)  VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2018, 06:37:22 »
No, I am happy with the changes I am making to my standard AT. The level of personalisation is significant but it is a good donor bike for me to customise the end product how I want it.
MrKiwi

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2018, 12:18:57 »
Nice work, David!
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2018, 19:34:43 »

Bought a new second jet helmet (for hot days & off road sessions) with a visor and still not disturbed by air coming from the fork hole ...  ???
We are all different. I ride a bike because I want wind on my face  :D
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2018, 07:53:56 »
I still get wind, just not as much as I had been.
MrKiwi

tedhughes

• HAR Member
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2019, 10:11:45 »
Just wondering how the suspension is going and as I live in Auckland but do pass through Wellington occasionally who set-up the suspension for you? I may follow your pathway as I am a bigboy.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2019, 00:46:24 »
Just wondering how the suspension is going and as I live in Auckland but do pass through Wellington occasionally who set-up the suspension for you? I may follow your pathway as I am a bigboy.
Sorry I have not been on this site for a little while so missed your post.
I have recently done a trip two up with full luggage and I can say I am very pleased with the rear suspension. I had this work done by Robert Taylor in New Plymouth and can recommend his work. He was easy to liaise with, answered my questions and gave me plenty of options to consider.

I went with Ohlins with a heavier spring so that the rear is set up without preload to about 125kgs, which is my weight with gear on. The new suspension is good up to about 220kgs which with my wife on the back and luggage is about the max I would ever load the bike. I've replaced the rear rack with a stainless steel one, so can carry a heavier weight in my top box.

So the bike is tested on gravel, on tarmac both one up and two up with and without luggage.

I am a happy chap, it rides really well now.
MrKiwi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal