Author Topic: Continental Trail Attack II with Traction Skin  (Read 24209 times)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
Continental Trail Attack II with Traction Skin
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:23:33 »
@ All

Both Varadero's are refitted with the brand new Conti Trail Attack II. Newest thing... they came with 'traction skin'. So to say, no more 'Oops' moments leaving the motorcycle mechanic on new tires with the slippery silicon layer still on the fresh rubber!

And honestly... it does do the trick. Please notice, I still did not have the courage to go to the edge (between my ears my mind still whispered 'carefull, new tires are slippery') but after doing the first 300 km in cold and rainy weather, I must say it does provide more 'security' during the ride.

Its still to early to state weather the TA2 is that much improved towards the AT1. In any case, there is no such thing as 'shimmy' in the steering. Solid as a rock, on both bikes (2012 MK2 Varadero and a 2000 MK1).

Just to provide a proper reverence... My bike is - this time - on stock suspension.
I'll keep you posted on the progress; the next upcoming tour through UK and Ireland will be the ideal test-grounds.
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
Re: Continental Trail Attack II with Traction Skin
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:18:36 »
The first 1.500 km are done, from which the last 500 under hard conditions: steep climbs up to 30% in the Lake District, bad road surfaces covered with dirt, gravel and water, and fully loaded (packed for a 3 week trip).

I feel so much confident with this new Conti! It was no secret that I loved the MK1 too, but this new Trail Attack 2 really is exceeding my expectations for 200%. I am still curious what the TA2 will to on terms of livespan. The MK1 was, after all, good for at least 16.000 km (10.000 miles) and even on that level, replacement was not direct necessary...

Looking forward to the remaining tour the next 2,5 weeks which is still ahead of us. Today its off to catch the UK-Ireland ferry to Dublin.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 18:09:54 »
The TA 2 performs amazing! The complain about bad handling with the TA 1 and a after- 2007 MK2 Varadero on stock suspension can NOT be confirmed, since my latest Varadero is (still) on stock suspension. Ireland is the ideal proving ground for tyres and suspension: lots of rain, mud, gravel and flooded roads, or even a fort passing (fully loaded) with algae covered cobblestones in a tight bent: the bike with the new Conti's just ploughed through it if it was an AmTrack train...

I was convinced by the TA1. But I am even more convinced with this new TA2. Even if they last not as long as my previous TA1 did.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 16:15:11 »
6.000 km (3.750 miles) down in 3 weeks under various conditions: Rain, even snow, steep mountain passes, fully loaded, highway, and (very) battered road conditions in Ireland.

The TA II is the better choice. Don't be tricked with the TA I out of stock. Date of manufacturing should be at least 2013 - March. On the side it says 'Trailattack 2', so any mix-ups can be avoided.

Got the impression that the tire is slightly more sensible for irregularities in  lengthwise direction; but generally spoken... I love them.

We are now planning a 2-up trip to the South of France somewhere in high summer (apr 3.000 km / 1.875 miles in one week) on motorways and route national. Keep you posted on the progress.

renelle

• René
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 00:49:46 »
Replaced the Pirelli Scorpion Trail front and rear with the Continental Trail Attack II and already very positive about these tires!

They felt that confident that I had my footrests on the ground after only 15 minutes of driving (so maybe the Traction Skin did help here).

In a few weeks a trip is planned to France. Aprox. 3000km in 5 day's so that will be a serious test run for the new Conti's. Will post my experience here when I'm back from this trip...
Varadero '99, H&B Crash bars, Hyperpro both at the front and rear, Conti Trail Attack II, Corbin seat, GIVI Trekker cases, Daytona All Season hot grips, IMC MIT-30 intercom

Athanman

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 12:02:51 »
In a few weeks a trip is planned to France. Aprox. 3000km in 5 day's so that will be a serious test run for the new Conti's. Will post my experience here when I'm back from this trip...

Looking forward to read your report mate.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 08:48:04 »
The France trip is changed to a car trip due to family issieus (nothing special, but we are now officialy an 'international moving truck'...  ;D )

Had a very, very good go in the German Teutenburgerforrest last weekend though! There is some video footage which I am hoping to post later. 750km in 3 days, and I never had the bike cornering like that (speed vv cornering that is). 7.000 km done and still going strong.

mad_max0204

• HAR Member
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 14:26:49 »
I've put on shiny new Trail Attack 2 tires on my vara and they are awesome. Grip is 100% straight from the store (no protective coating).
Tried them on all kinds of roads even sand and they perform perfect. My last tires on my last vara were battlewings which were 100% road tires
and now I would never go back.

Athanman

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 09:53:01 »
Battlewings sucks! Dont even think about it to go back. ;)

Athanman

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 14:35:47 »
6.000 km (3.750 miles) down in 3 weeks under various conditions: Rain, even snow, steep mountain passes, fully loaded, highway, and (very) battered road conditions in Ireland.

The TA II is the better choice. Don't be tricked with the TA I out of stock. Date of manufacturing should be at least 2013 - March. On the side it says 'Trailattack 2', so any mix-ups can be avoided.

Got the impression that the tire is slightly more sensible for irregularities in  lengthwise direction; but generally spoken... I love them.

We are now planning a 2-up trip to the South of France somewhere in high summer (apr 3.000 km / 1.875 miles in one week) on motorways and route national. Keep you posted on the progress.

Hey Bernard i ve just fitted a pair of these .The dates  of manufacturing are 10th and 11th week of 2013 (1013 -1113) and on the side says Trail attack 2.
Im not so confident so far , i guess i have to wait a couple of miles in order to feel more free .I read your report and im realy looking forward to test them on a wet terain.

jolly green giant

• HAR Member
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 21:56:22 »
Having had an abysmal experience with Conti Trail Attacks I am certainly not tempted to try them again despite the reviews in this forum. In 2010 I had fitted a set of Contis which at cruising speed almost tore my Varadero in half. I ditched the Contis as soon as I returned home and had them replaced with Bridgestone Battlewings. Three years later the tyres have performed beyond my expectations in both wet and dry.

But having said that there are so many good tyres available for the adventure bike segment that I can only say to each his own. I mention only Contis and Bridgestones because these are the tyres I have had experience with since I bought the Dero in 2008.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 13:53:50 »
Had a go on a Crosstourer last weekend which was fitted with the Battlewings.
They are called 'Deadwings' and that is not for some reason.

The Trail Attack II behaves differently than the TA I, there for an objective comparing can only be made if you have ridden on it.
And to be honest, Brian... I still don't understand anything about your experiences, especially since I now also own a '11 (latest model) Varadero which I still run on the original suspension...

The TAII behaves - again - absolutely bulletproof, like the TA I did on my previous bike.

@ Manos: I think - no I am certain! - that you won't get a good mileage of 20.000 km on this tires like you did on the Metz!  ;D

Athanman

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 15:19:09 »

@ Manos: I think - no I am certain! - that you won't get a good mileage of 20.000 km on this tires like you did on the Metz!  ;D

You think so? It doesn't matter if i'll get satisfied .  ;D ;D
So far i was replacing the tires every 15-18 months or 12000-15000 kms . Here in south we have the privelege to use our Varas almost 365 days per year.
I paid 240 euros for them and as a matter of fact how much did they cost you the new Contis 2?

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 23:59:14 »
Labour of fitting the tires...  ;D

renelle

• René
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 12:30:18 »
Replaced the Pirelli Scorpion Trail front and rear with the Continental Trail Attack II and already very positive about these tires!

They felt that confident that I had my footrests on the ground after only 15 minutes of driving (so maybe the Traction Skin did help here).

Hi all,

Took some time before I could give you all an update about my experience with the Trail Attack II tyres... The 3000km trip was done with a lot of luggage. It was the first time we did a trip that far going from Hotel to Hotel, so afterwards I can say that I took too much luggage with me. But I also wanted to have some driving experience without the luggage…

Up to now, my opinion about the Trail Attack II is not 100% positive.

From handling point of view they are fantastic! I have never had such a confidence in grip and driveability in short curves like hairpins and roundabouts. It’s almost standard that I have the footrests on the ground in these conditions!

But stability at high speed is a lot worse than with the Pirelli’s. The first few 100 miles with the GIVI cases fully loaded were very unpleasant. I could not drive much faster then 110-120 km/h. At higher speed the bike started to wobble/shimmy… After changing the tyre pressure it was a bit better, but cruising at higher speed than 120 km/h was still not an option.

Later that trip I found out that after replacement of the steering head bearing, the bearing was not mounted tight enough. After adjustment of the head bearing, the steering improved a lot and also the stability improved. But wobble/shimmy still appeared at higher speeds than 140km/h.
In the meantime I needed to do other maintenance (driving chain needed to be replaced, valves needed adjustment, and there was a serious issue with afterburning in the exhaust system), so it was not before yesterday that I could test the stability without luggage. The result up to now is that I still have a wobble/shimmy effect from approx. 160km/h.

I will proceed in finding improvement, planned to do a bubble check on the head bearings and will also go for suspension check at one of the Hyperpro service centers. If anyone of you has other ideas, please let me know!

But if this will not improve, I’m not convinced that the next set of tyres will be Trail Attack II’s again…

To be continued…
Varadero '99, H&B Crash bars, Hyperpro both at the front and rear, Conti Trail Attack II, Corbin seat, GIVI Trekker cases, Daytona All Season hot grips, IMC MIT-30 intercom

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal