Author Topic: Mr Kiwi hits the road with his VFR1200X  (Read 6488 times)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Mr Kiwi hits the road with his VFR1200X
« on: April 02, 2015, 02:56:31 »
I recently spent a week travelling around the South Island of New Zealand with a group of friends.  The trip spanned 7 days from Saturday 21 March, but I left a day late as I wanted to attend the New Zealand vs West Indies cricket world cup semi final on Saturday 21 March.  Therefore my plan was to go to the cricket game, which New Zealand easily won, then catch the ferry from Wellington across the Cook Strait at 2:30 am.  The rest of the group left Saturday morning at 8:30 am and they rode half a day south from Picton to their Saturday night destination.  I caught the ferry and got into Picton, top of the South Island, at 5:15 am and immediately rode south to catch the guys up before they headed off for the day.  This I did.

Not as clear as I would like, but here's the bike as the ferry gets in at 1:30 am

It's dark when I arrive, so I head down the main highway.  The beauty of an early morning start is you get greeted by a lovely sunrise.

and

These pictures are taken on the Kiakoura cost, looking east.  By 10:30 I had caught up with the rest of the guys and we rode for another 5 hours to our nights destination. It rained most of the afternoon.  I did about 650 km that day on 2 hours sleep.  Needless to day I slept very well that night.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:00:14 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Re: Mr Kiwi hits the road with his VFR1200X
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:58:50 »
Looks like I might need to downsize those photos! - ah yes that is better... ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:00:30 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Re: Mr Kiwi hits the road again with his VFR1200X
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 03:44:07 »
On day two, I chose to do a gravel/adventure route. For most of the days, we had the roadies option (tarseal all day) or the dirties option (gravel mostly but sometimes worse than that).  As it turned out the route was rated an advanced adventure ride route, but the guys didn't tell me that until I got the beast successfully through and out the other end!  :o

It started easily enough, on a reasonably well maintained gravel road through a low pass known as McKenzie's Pass.

The route for the day had us travelling this road through to a high country farm, the Black Forest Station. We gathered for a breather before tackling the climb up and down the range between us and our destination.

From here we climbed up the range.  The track was mostly well formed.  It certainly was where I stopped to take photos  8)

After an hour of this we reached the top to get some good views, looking down onto a man made lake, Lake Benmore. it feeds a large hydroelectric generating facility.

The track down was steep, and I didn't stop to take any photos until I was heading along the side of the lake.  The first picture below is the view looking down at the track, it looks good, but soon degraded into a steep track with deep water runnels through most of the corners.  It was first gear most of hte way down, slow but steady.  With me on the bike, plus my gear it was close to 400kgs of bike bouncing it's way down the hill.

From here we came out onto tarseal roads and then headed over the Dansey's Pass.  At the top of the pass views were limited due to impending inclement weather!

All in a good day. The bike didn't get too dirty  :o

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 07:27:56 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:30:56 »
The following couple of days we rode mostly well traveled routes and I didn't take a lot of photos, I was having too much fun blasting my way around well formed curvy South Island roads  ;D

There was a nice light early one morning though

« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:00:52 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 07:39:00 »
On day five took the route from Queenstown to Wanaka over the Haast Pass and to Ross on the West Coast of the South Island.  This is one of my favourite riding routes in NZ, it is simply superb. 

On top of the pass we stop to take our trip photo.

The West Coast is lightly populated, rugged and remote.

At Ross we stopped at an old pub for the night.  The building is around 150 years old and is full of charm and hard case locals.

It was this day that the title for my story is derived from.  As I stopped for a coffee at Franz Joseph Glacier township, I put my stand stand down, or so I thought.  I go to get off the bike and it falls over   :o. Very embarrassing   :-[ :-[

The local workshop was nearby and sure enough they had someone in it who knew how to weld aluminium.  Thrity minutes later and only $20 the poorer the bike is all up and running again.  Whew...

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 00:47:48 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 07:42:46 »
The last days of the trip had me stopping in Nelson for a work commitment and then I headed to Picton for the return ferry trip across the Cook Strait.

A short wait for the ferry to arrive

and 4 hours later we enter Wellington Harbour.  Home is just 20 minutes up the road.  A rainbow welcomes me home  :)

the end  8)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 08:01:18 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

varaquiero

• VCIF Member.../whitewidow on uk forum
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 09:48:22 »
Cracking report Mr K... pics are worth a million words. Thanks for the share.
"One has to leave the world to discover it"

2011 XL 1000

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 11:28:03 »
Wonderful Mr Kiwi ! You can now add your passes pics in this topic http://www.vci-forum.com/index.php?topic=677.0  :D  ;) Thx for the share !
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 15:45:18 »
Very nice, and obviously not jealous at all  ;)

Is there another word for synonym?

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 22:55:19 »
One of the interesting things about the CT is the limited size of the fuel tank (20.5 L compared to 25 L for the Varadero), and it's thirst for fuel.

I have to say the bike is not that bad.  On trips driving on normal road conditions I can average 5.4 l/100 km. 

On this trip, given that I was riding in 1st and 2nd gear on the gnarly gravel roads, and also I did 5 mountain passes, I averaged 5.8 L/100 km over 2,600 km.  However, I twice got down to less than 1 L of fuel left in the tank which is not a lot of fun.  The Crosstourer would be better even if it had another two litres of capacity. I don't like carrying fuel and I don't like stopping all the time to top up the tank.  So far limited tank size, therefore fuel range is my only grumble with the bike.

Cheers from downunder... 8)
MrKiwi

Tonyco

• Honda Rider
    • www.tonyco.net
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 11:05:46 »
Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 12:56:28 »
You do live in a wonderful spot on this round globe of earth... !  ;)
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2015, 00:44:18 »
You do live in a wonderful spot on this round globe of earth... !  ;)

Yes, some very good scenery, some good roads.  But I've toured my homeland to death, need to find new adventures  8)
MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 08:15:56 »

Yes, some very good scenery, some good roads.  But I've toured my homeland to death, need to find new adventures  8)

Just time to come to Europe!...  ;)
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal