Author Topic: Found motorcycling promised land !!!  (Read 1843 times)

Djairouks

• HAR Member
Found motorcycling promised land !!!
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:14:58 »
Just came back from South Africa, and did a car tour of the garden route south east of cape town, let me tell you this seems to be motorcycling
promised land, with so many bikers places on the roads and the amazing diversity of landscapes, I will go back for sure to ride there in the
future, though renting there is pretty expensive, so I'm reflecting on buying an old 600ish cc mono cylinder preparing it for long travel and
shipping it by cargo to go then ride it in different countries.

Love my AT but outside Europe riding, is pretty far and complicated, renting a 2017 in SA was about 130 dollars per days if you book it for
more than 7 days and you're limited to 550km per days excess is about 30 cents a km.

Anyone tried shipping ?
Or ever did South Africa on bikes ?

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: Found motorcycling promised land !!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 12:37:39 »
Sure the "president" have been there  VCIF_ThumbUp

You can find the report here  VCIF_ok
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:40:56 »
As mentioned by Zebulon... have done multiple bike trips in South Africa (unfortunately not on a Honda but on Buells and BMuu's) and you are absolutely right: Its the promised land for motorcycling. Everywhere!

I did consider shipping, but that would cost me over 2.000,- for a return ticket. Can rent for many days for that money and don't have to bother with the administration and hassle which comes with shipping.
Fortunately I got some good friends who have been kind enough to lent out their bikes. Best choice so far have been (surprisingly) the Buell Ulysses and the BMuu F800GS Adventure.

These guys are good, reliable and relative affordable. I had my last BMuu from their Centurion settling near Pretoria.

http://www.motorradrentals.com/contact-us1/
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 12:45:58 by Two Plugs »
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 13:42:43 »
Ahhh I'm in love with this country honestly, I've never had so much trouble getting back home to my regular life, your trip looks awesome  VCIF_ThumbUp !

I know the 800GS, they are okay I far prefer my AT but yes better that than renting the 1200GS of course, I just hate the strange suspensions on these,
though I did fiund a bit cheaper on other rental spots.

I know shipping is expensive, but I'm thinking about it because I would also love to do Argentina, Georgia, some Asian or gulf and African parts, but I would
honestly be afraid to fuck up my AT.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal