Author Topic: Crash bars  (Read 8251 times)

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
Re: Crash bars
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2017, 01:02:22 »
Better to understand with picture

Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 09:06:20 »
Well from front it's deceiving, because I looked if you take the contact points that will be hit if a fall occurs, so the retracted footpegs and the lower part of the bars, you see that if they don't bend and there is no rock coming to the engine casing, it won't touch the ground. And honestly, the U shape brackets going to the frame in the front, then attaching the Givi crash bars seem like they will bend if the hit is enough, so I'm not sure in the end it's Worth all this scafolding, as where the OM bars are attached against a straigt plate in the direction of the hit, that seems like much better engineering to me.

Sure if I feel one day like going on serious off roading situations, I would try to add some lower engine casing to be safer !
They have the lower bars as well, which seem a better design too https://europe.outbackmotortek.com/product/honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-crash-guards-system-combo/

But to me, those bars being thicker with less crazy bends than the SW motech and a bit higher, it's the best compromise for people who don't want the whole crazy OEM or Givi bars, my concern is more fairing and radiators for road riding.

[attachment deleted by admin]

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2017, 09:15:33 »
But to me, those bars being thicker with less crazy bends than the SW motech and a bit higher, it's the best compromise for people who don't want the whole crazy OEM or Givi bars, my concern is more fairing and radiators for road riding.

But a lot or others choices ....  VCIF_a_008

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2017, 11:00:48 »

But a lot or others choices ....  VCIF_a_008

I know a lot of people want the full fairing and it's your choice, but to me adding so much scafolding it needs to be well designed, otherwhise I don't see the point adding so much weight, for not much more protection or rigidity, in road riding situations it won't make much difference. For exemple i've seen destroyed upper fairings, because the bars bent and cracked the plastics anyway, so the added protection is really debatable.

You can disagree with me and not like the smaller crash bars sure, everyone is entitled to their choices, but that's no argument sorry, it's better to have few but better engineered choices, than a lot of poorly engineered choices.
And I repeat this U bracket doesn't look like good engineering to me, they should have done a long part with both brackets welded together, that's just what OM have done actually.

In the end I surely hope no one will have to verify if any of these bars prove to be efficient  VCIF_ThumbUp

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2017, 13:52:31 »
Yes, every choice is in the nature, and a lot of manufacturers propose products, customers have to buy. Waiting for your report if you have to use them...
my choice is here , tested and approved  VCIF_ThumbUp
 VCIF_salut

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2017, 22:25:41 »

Why do Honda only market a "Cowl guard" ?

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 22:31:17 »

Why do Honda only market a "Cowl guard" ?

Perhaps you have to ask them  ;D or to let accessories manufacturers work  ;D

You can notice Touratech have done a new piece to adapt Honda crash bars on lower Touratech ones
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 22:32:54 by zebulon »

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 15:26:45 »
As I don't really intend to do motocross and don't want to look like a panzer, I went for the outback motortek higher ones and I can tell you these things are thick and well thought out, the attachment points look pretty logical to me as well.

Its your choice but please be aware that with no lower protection, if you do drop the bike by accident, you may end up with a split side clutch/engine case depending on which side.   One thing you could do is lay the bike down on a flat surface on its side (on a blanket, or the grass) and see what touches.  You might be unpleasantly surprised. If its the wheels and your upper bars only then all is well.
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 15:34:51 »
In most case (I know), holes in engine cases are not due to fall, but rocks or flying stake  ;D

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 15:46:58 »
As I don't really intend to do motocross and don't want to look like a panzer, I went for the outback motortek higher ones and I can tell you these things are thick and well thought out, the attachment points look pretty logical to me as well.

Its your choice but please be aware that with no lower protection, if you do drop the bike by accident, you may end up with a split side clutch/engine case depending on which side.   One thing you could do is lay the bike down on a flat surface on its side (on a blanket, or the grass) and see what touches.  You might be unpleasantly surprised. If its the wheels and your upper bars only then all is well.

I tried with a plank on the side and no problem as I said, unless rocks come in between there's just no risk with on road riding, I know the bars might bend a bit but there's a margin, I'm still confident the engine won't be damaged.

Seriously i've dropped not all but some of my yamahas, even had a 80Kmh slide without bars and never any engine case broke, so I'm pretty sure Honda's casings arent made of paper maché, again I'm talking road use and for this the bigger frames just don't make sense, that's the point I'm trying to make.
Because off road is always a risk, even with the bigger crash bars !

james.mc

• 2017 CRF1000L DCT
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 17:17:05 »
Hi Djairouks

Its sounds as if you have given this plenty of thought. I have seen a split casing on an AT already (with no lower engine protection bars) but they were off-road in rocks when it the bike went on its side.  They fixed the hole with epoxy liquid metal, which was enough to get the bike back to the real world and then to a dealer for a new case.

As you are mostly road riding you should be good.

I hope you enjoy your new bike :)

Ride safe

best regards
James Mc
regards
James Mc
Honda-Adventure-Riders

Current: 2017 CRF1000L DCT
Current: 2008 Triumph Tiger 1050
Previous: 2003 Honda Varadero XL1000V (bought 2003, sold 2013 - Sadly left behind in Europe)

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2017, 08:24:46 »
Hi Djairouks

Its sounds as if you have given this plenty of thought.

Yup, I'm swiss and work in Watch engineering, a way to say that I think maybe too much  :P !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal