Author Topic: engine cuts out, resets clock an trip  (Read 7034 times)

varabest

• HAR Member
engine cuts out, resets clock an trip
« on: April 30, 2013, 10:32:04 »
Dear all, I copied  my post from the old pages because yesterday the fault occurred again.....

I have a XL1000 (year 2004 new model) and have already for several years a problem that sometimes occurs; The bike goes like a dream except for a couple of times when approaching f.e. a round about. low speed, low rpm then suddenly the engine cuts out, the dashboard goes completely out and after a few seconds it slowly comes up again but this event resets the trip and clock. after this The bike starts up again OK as if nothing happened.

It is also occurring while starting the engine,(cold and warm) it overturns and the whole dashboard switches off and resets the clock and the trip. Then the electrical. power is coming slowly back and after some (5 ?) seconds it starts again and runs as if nothing happened.

I am almost convinced it should be an electrical / earthing problem --> does any of you readers know the solution to this problem ?
Does anybody have an electrical scheme of this (newer) varadero model for me ?

Cheers for any advice / diagrams etc

responses  by: JosepM, snurrepus and Two plugs: :) :) :) :) :)

Varabest:
All, thanks for your reactions and tips until now.   

what I did so far:
Check the battery --> 12.9 V (of last year) seems to be OK
Dutch Varafans gave the input that the Voltage regulator could be malfunctioning: measured voltage with running motor and switched lights on --> seems to be working fine.
Checked emergency off button --> works fine --> no issue

I will check the cabling and connections from HISS tomorrow
Varabest:
After I inspected and greased thecontacts of the emergency off switch the problem did not occur any more. Maybe not solved but have to wait until it occurs again. In the mean time thanks to all for the replies.

And as stated in the beginning: after 2 weeks the issue occurred again. (twice)  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I will disassemble the HISS cabling and check it because I didn't do that until now.

Does anybody have a cabling scheme of the vara 2004 new model with ABS ? (in colour)

123talis

• Vlado
Re: engine cuts out, resets clock an trip
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 19:20:47 »
clock reset is always somehow related to bad baterry. I would not only check the voltage, but try another one, if it happens. Mine Vara was doing same thing - clock & trip reset, engine cut out while driving slowly (but did not come up, I had to press the start button). Battery can has 12,9V voltage, but if its too weak to start up engine and keep other thing running (as pro oiler, voltmeter, clocks and trip meters...), or if it loose some of capacity during short period of time, its just bad (at least my friend who works in service told me that).
So I think if your problem is sometimes when you are starting up and it just resets, try another battery before any dissassemble...
I am a Graphic designer. If you need something like custom stickers etc. or some information about it, just ask me :)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 00:05:33 »
I also think it could be the battery. Where in NL are you located? From the Dutch Transalp & Varadero club we have two 'motorsheds' where you can investigate the problem with professional guidance and tools: They are located in Sprundel (Ad Mies) and Elburg (Hans Schaap).

But: it could also be the HISS immobilizer giving you a hard time... this system isn't flawless...

Unfortunately I don't have the cabling diagram of a 2004 MK2 ABS, pershaps one of the members is kind enough to provide it here?
You can download the Service manual for the 2003-2006 models, which contains electric diagrams. I hope you find it helpful...
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Red

• HAR Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 14:40:10 »
I get this on my 2011, no pattern to it apart from it happening at low revs / slow speed (and no - it's not a 'stall').

Happens mebbe once every 3 months.

Resets my trip and time clocks to zero.

Red  >:(

keirravn

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 18:06:56 »
Bad earth maybe? Check at the battery and chassis side of the main earth cable

oguzetuna

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:43:48 »
its all about the battery. a brand new 18A battery will solve your problem.
best reg.

bigshane

• HAR Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2013, 01:01:38 »
Hi Guy's,
I have a 2000 Varadero that does NOT have HISS system and the exact same thing has happened to me twice. The latest was today. My bike stalled, reset clock and trip, when I hit the button to restart the starter was slow.  From memory my bike was hot driving in town traffic.  I have a feeling that it is the relay rectifier.  It starts first time every time and If it was the battery it would be a continual fault.  I also replaced the battery 4 weeks ago.  I'm thinking of replacing rectifier with an after market one to see if this is fixes it.  Any idea's would be greatly appreciated.  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal