Author Topic: Moving (playing) front chain sprocket  (Read 11217 times)

Tonyco

• Honda Rider
    • www.tonyco.net
Moving (playing) front chain sprocket
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:25:51 »
Hello,
I will travel to Russia next month and I will put 6000 km on the ODO.  I do a lot of maintenance on the bike but I have a Question here about front chain sprocket. I open the cap yesterday to inspect the front sprocket. It seem to be OK (as I attach picture below) also I notice that the sprocket moving in and out freely, you can see it here on the video: . I check on several web sites and see that on some bikes it is normal behavior to move in and out in case to keep chain inline between front and rear sprocket, is this normal for Varadero '09 ABS model ? I check the secure bolt and is well tight, I suppose I have to screw it as normal on right like normal tread ?
Also what do you think for the sprocket is it in good shape ?
The bike is with original chain and sprockets and it is 25 000 km.
I use Electronic scottoiler for lubrication.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Madero

Re: Moving (playing) front chain sprocket
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 11:11:35 »
 :o

Strange!
Can't remember that I noticed that kind of "play" on my front sprocket. Torque for front sprocket bolt should be 54Nm.
I would suggest to remove the sprocket and check it. Is there "play" between sprocket and shaft? If yes, then you better replace the sprocket to prevent the shaft from extra wear. A new shaft will be much more expensive to replace! Maybe is buying,trying and fitting a new sprocket no bad idea anyway. Sooner or later you will need one when you're gonna replace your chain and rear sprocket (are those ok?).

If you create maximum slack on your chain you can replace the sprocket without having to remove the chain completely. Should be a pretty easy job.

When you are gonna make a long trip, it will surely give you a more confident feeling knowing that this problem is fixed completely.

Have a nice trip!

Tonyco

• Honda Rider
    • www.tonyco.net
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:57:36 »
Hi,
I think I don't have a problem but I ask here. Chain and rear sprocket are OK. I find in other web site-s that this was normal for varadero to move in and out. What do you think from the picture of the front sprocket ? It looks like it is in good condition. I check for play between shaft and sprocket and there is no play it is perfect.

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:19:18 »
If its a honda part then I have never seen this happen, but if it's a pattern part then yes I have seen this a few times. Doesn't seem to cause any damage but may be a little extra noise.

Is there another word for synonym?

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

Tonyco

• Honda Rider
    • www.tonyco.net
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 14:15:20 »
It is original chain with sprockets from factory.

Bønne

• VCIF/HARK.DK/XL-Forum.SE/HVRoN.NO/VUK
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 14:20:51 »
I´m on the third chain and sprocket kit (original), and as I remember it, it´s normal with a little free play here. I´ve ridden 36000 km on each kit without Scottoiler, only using chain spray. It´s difficult to se on pictures if your kit is allright for this trip, you have to decide yourself based on the feedback you get.

But, before you put the cover in place again, you should clean out the dirt around the sprocket and put some new clean grease around the clutch rod (right in front of the sprocket). You can read about it here: http://www.vci-forum.com/index.php?topic=531.0
Plan your ride, ride your plan.

XL 1000 VA8, Chevalier Silver Metallic

kjetil

• XL 2007 VA Bloom Red Metallic
    • My YouTube site
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 14:38:40 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

I just replaced the chain and sprockets.
As the pictures show, I waited a little too long.  :-[

On a trip to the Atlantic Road a few weeks ago, I broke 11 teeth on the front sprocket and chain skipped  a few teeth.

It was a leisurely ride home.   8) 8) 8) 8)

New and old  rear sprocket.

New and old  front sprocket.

Broken teeth.

:o :o :o :o :o
It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

;-)

Tonyco

• Honda Rider
    • www.tonyco.net
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 15:00:14 »
Thanks helping me.
Mine original set is 25 k km now after return from Russia it will be around 32 k which is far from 36 k, also my chain is always clean with scottoiler and well lubricated. As I see pictures broken sprocket is much worse than mine, as you see on my picture theeth are in good condition. Only I wonder for this playing in and out of the sprocket. Bike running very well no problems, clutch is very easy to operate but I will clean well and lubricate the pivot.

Madero

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 15:59:44 »
;D ;D ;D ;D

I just replaced the chain and sprockets.
As the pictures show, I waited a little too long.  :-[

On a trip to the Atlantic Road a few weeks ago, I broke 11 teeth on the front sprocket and chain skipped  a few teeth.

You should be ashamed Kjetil!

Tonyco

• Honda Rider
    • www.tonyco.net
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 16:37:39 »
What you use for cleaning dirt around front sprocket ? Diesel fuel ?
Also using Electronic Scottoiler I never need to stretch the chain between changing tyres.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 16:40:15 by Tonyco »

Tonyco

• Honda Rider
    • www.tonyco.net
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 16:57:02 »
Here what I found in some UK Varadero forum:

http://www.honda-varadero-uk.org/forum/index.php?topic=5587.0

Quote:

"As you look at the front sprocket so it looks all nice and circular, there should be some movement if you push or pull it. There should be no movement rotationally otherwise your drive shaft or sprocket slots are fucked."

This is my case movement when I push or pull and no rotationally  movement.
What do you think ?

kjetil

• XL 2007 VA Bloom Red Metallic
    • My YouTube site
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 23:29:26 »

You should be ashamed Kjetil!

Yes I am......... :-[

It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

;-)

Bønne

• VCIF/HARK.DK/XL-Forum.SE/HVRoN.NO/VUK
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2014, 23:44:37 »
What you use for cleaning dirt around front sprocket? Diesel fuel?
Yes, you can use diesel, or kerosene. But first use a wooden spatula scraping some of the old grease out.
Plan your ride, ride your plan.

XL 1000 VA8, Chevalier Silver Metallic

jackyork

• HAR Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 04:04:59 »

Quote:

"As you look at the front sprocket so it looks all nice and circular, there should be some movement if you push or pull it. There should be no movement rotationally otherwise your drive shaft or sprocket slots are .....WRECKED." is a nicer term.

Your sprocket looks to be in good shape. The movement was difficult to tell exactly on the video but 'lateral 'float'on a splined shaft will, as you said, allow for any mis-alignment of the two sprockets and save strain and wear. Any 'play' away from 90 degrees on the shaft, as well as rotational, indicates bad wear.

Safe trip.

JK
jackyork.   Current: XL1000V ABS '11 black, Kawasaki ZX10B 1988, BSA Bantam 1958
Prev. Varadero '08.silver, Honda ST1100 Pan,'99 Triumph T120R Bonneville '67
Honda 750F 70s, BSA A10 RR '62,Norton Dominator 99 1962......many 'hacks' and a Lambretta.

Tonyco

• Honda Rider
    • www.tonyco.net
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2014, 11:35:04 »
Thanks,
I will open this Saturday again cap to clean well around sprocket and clutch lever. I checked few times no rotation 90 degree, only when push or pull it.
Best regards.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal