Author Topic: what is the gnarliest trail you've taken on with a Varadero? Send PICS  (Read 14809 times)

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
Re: what is the gnarliest trail you've taken on with a Varadero? Send PICS
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 15:53:50 »
As a tip. Don't know how tall you are but driving in these conditions standing makes it a lot easier to spread your weight backwards and using the throttle so the frontwheel not dig into the dirt to much. The Vara is real fun to drive standing. Bar risers is a must otherwise you got crawl back cause your arm is to short.

approx 3 cm is the highest you can have it if you don't want to change the hydraulic hose to front brake caliper.

sleepyhead65

• HAR Member
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2014, 00:15:15 »
Well I have 30 cm risers. I'm 179 cm so I generally find this a good fit for standing. The only time I really reach is when I have my butt as far back as my arms will allow (downhill).

sleepyhead65

• HAR Member
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2014, 00:16:47 »
@athanman are you calling me fat?  ;D ;D ;D

jackyork

• HAR Member
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2014, 03:02:54 »
@Sleepy head 3 cm risers, or 30 mm, 30 cm is nearly a foot, they're ape hangers; that's how those two spaceshots missed each other.

JK
jackyork.   Current: XL1000V ABS '11 black, Kawasaki ZX10B 1988, BSA Bantam 1958
Prev. Varadero '08.silver, Honda ST1100 Pan,'99 Triumph T120R Bonneville '67
Honda 750F 70s, BSA A10 RR '62,Norton Dominator 99 1962......many 'hacks' and a Lambretta.

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2014, 03:38:03 »
30 cm risers, that's monkeybar?

SilverD

• HAR Member
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2014, 05:39:13 »
I've had my Vera on sections like in your picture. Yes it can be done, but it's not any fun at all and potentially disastrous.

I've smashed the hell out of my front wheel, there's a good "ding" in it that I need to get repaired. It's holding air and has for over a year, but I got to get it fixed eventually.

It's far more comfortable on nothing worse than the gravel in the Video.

sleepyhead65

• HAR Member
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 04:11:02 »
30 mm! OMG not 30 cm!

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2014, 06:14:40 »
@ Sleepyhead
Like many us have done, I'm sure you'll try out different types and conditions of "off-road" and find your comfortable level of fun ...just don't be too ambitious the first time ...and have a buddy with you to help pick her up ;)
I ride solo most of the time so I keep to "easy" trails and where there will be some others out there (....for when I need help :-[)
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

PJay

• HAR Member
OK, my three takes on this:

1.  The Varadero is called "the gravel road Gold Wing."  That is really accurate; I've done a lot of distance on gravel on mine.  The standard machine is really good for this, solo or with a pillion passenger.

2.  But it's a big, heavy lump for offroad (ie anything tougher than formed tracks).  My DR650 cost less than potential repair costs from attempting to trailride the Vara would, and even the DR is a big, heavy and unfocussed lump for true offroad.  Really tight and tough offroad: I trailer my OSSAs there.

3.  Likewise, spending money to try to make the things rideable offroad will lead you into expenditure better made on buying a machine fit for offroading to be your other (or, as is my case, another) machine - and it will still do the job better than would a BMuu-ised Varadero.

However, I do have a few pics in an old camera somewhere of my wife and me 2-up on my Vara on a clay-surfaced farm track - I'll see if I can find to post in this thread.  The thing does do monster rooster-tails, even with 2 of us on it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:45:04 by PJay »

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
Here is a swedish guy who tried make the Vara more lighter and versatile for the enviroment.

http://www.vci-forum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=345

It is now for sale in Sweden.

It is a nice project but meanwhile it is still a fact. Varadero and others in this segment is just a slight of going offroad. There are better alternatives if you want to drive in terrain.

This spring I joined the swedish national garde instead of buying. Just to learn how to handle the real terrain driving. It is just a 250cc from the early 80's but it is moving in those circumstances. If you like Dakar driving. 400cc suited for it is a second bike. You can't have it all from one bike. Varadero is a good touring bike with purpose to get forward in packed roads. Gravel or tarmac but it is not a terrain bike.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:07:28 by Skye »

sleepyhead65

• HAR Member
Me fooling around on my Varadero!

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
Me fooling around on my Varadero!

That's more mud than I've ridden through in my whole life!  ;)
I guess Newfoundland must be some interesting place to ride  :)

Congratulations,

Josep

Athanman

Here is a swedish guy who tried make the Vara more lighter and versatile for the enviroment.

http://www.vci-forum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=345

It is now for sale in Sweden.

It is a nice project but meanwhile it is still a fact. Varadero and others in this segment is just a slight of going offroad. There are better alternatives if you want to drive in terrain.

This spring I joined the swedish national garde instead of buying. Just to learn how to handle the real terrain driving. It is just a 250cc from the early 80's but it is moving in those circumstances. If you like Dakar driving. 400cc suited for it is a second bike. You can't have it all from one bike. Varadero is a good touring bike with purpose to get forward in packed roads. Gravel or tarmac but it is not a terrain bike.

O.M.G  :o

Gandalf

• HAR Member
@sleepyhead65, nice video, off road riding . Do you lower the tire pressure when riding on loose gravel like that?

What is the consensus on lowering the tire pressure when riding off road?

I carry an air compressor, but the Michelin web site (have Anakee3)states never to deflate a hot tire.

Would like to ride to an off road site, lower the pressure for the dirt and raise it back when back on asphalt.

Anybody doing that on a regular basis? Will it destroy the tires?

Thanks,

Athanman

@sleepyhead65, nice video, off road riding . Do you lower the tire pressure when riding on loose gravel like that?

What is the consensus on lowering the tire pressure when riding off road?

I carry an air compressor, but the Michelin web site (have Anakee3)states never to deflate a hot tire.

Would like to ride to an off road site, lower the pressure for the dirt and raise it back when back on asphalt.

Anybody doing that on a regular basis? Will it destroy the tires?

Thanks,
Its true.You should lower the pressure. Its not appropriate to deflate a hot tire,do it before you begin your trip (when the tires are cold),same thing when you want to raise it back, always when they are cold . Secondly i would advise you that if you want to have a long off road trip then a pair of Karoo tires will make you feel more confident and allow enjoy your off road adventure more than any other asphalt tire.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal