Author Topic: A Clutch Question  (Read 2564 times)

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
A Clutch Question
« on: July 17, 2016, 19:36:49 »
Just  a bit of back ground first.

I have been getting some slip on my clutch so i decided to get it swapped out this weekend before a trip next weekend. She has done over 60K so its ok time wise.
I ordered a EBC set from wemoto, And when it came dropped the plates in oil for a few days until i got round to the job, which turns out to be today

OK so the issues

According to the Haynes manual the bike should have 10 friction plates, and 9 Steel plates

Yet when i actually opened the clutch, there was only 8 friction plates and just 7 steel plates

There was also only 8 friction plates in the new EBC set after i had counted them

So i decided to check out the microfiche online and sure enough it says somthing diffrent

Its saying 6 inner plates and 2 outer plates i.e. 2 of the friction plates are different.

Looking through the new and and old friction plates i cant see any difference, however there is a weird steel plate with dimples compared to the rest which are smooth

However i am now guessing that there should just be 8 friction plates because A thats what was already in there, and B theres not room for any more when they are fitted

So the questions

Does anyone know for sure what the right number of frictions plates are, and Does someone know why i have 1 weird dimpled steel plate?

Also why does honda make out there are 2 types of friction plate, all the EBC ones are stamped with a 2 as you can see above.

If you can let me know if you have any thoughts. As i have left the job unfinished until i get an answer i feel a bit more confident with.

Is there another word for synonym?

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
Re: A Clutch Question
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 19:38:23 »
Also not sure if its important but every EBC friction plate has  2 stamped on it. You can see it in the last photo.

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

Hägar

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 20:36:45 »
Hello,

8 friction plates are correct. The dimpled steel plate is also correct. It`s the first steelplate behind the first friction plate. Please note the last outer plate is installed offset

I had this set also installed and every friction plate has the 2 stamped on it. However, I changed back to a Honda clutch after 10000km because the clutch separated greatly different at high outside temperatures.

Arne

I hope that google has translated well ;)

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 22:37:15 »
Thanks Arne

OK so after checking back to the microfiche online i can see than the dimpled steel plate is number 8, whilst the other normal steel plates are number 7.

So i understand what you are saying. Although in my clutch the dimpled plate is in the middle of the stack of plates so now needs to be moved.

It still feels strange for an aftermarket pattern part such as the EBC part not to match the honda part and have 8 matching parts rather than 6 and 2.

Has everyone found this to be the case?

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

numptyspence

• XL1000V MK2 2005
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 22:39:20 »
Well it looks like i have it sorted. I emailed  EBC and they confirmed its right. They said

"Thank you for sending the parts info yes there are 2 separate o/e part numbers listed for the friction plates - but we have checked our sample list and both numbers are the same dimensions so hence 8 plates all the same. So info we have says CK1257 8 plates all the same should be correct -please advise if you find anything different when plates are stripped from the bike."

The job is now done, and looks and sounds ok. Though not had the chance to take it for a ride yet.

Haynes is definitely wrong

Thanks

VIM12,VIM13,VIM14, VIM15
VIM16

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2016, 12:13:43 »
You boys have some problems :)

I have not had to change clutch to any of my bikes, ever.
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal