Author Topic: Norden 901  (Read 5899 times)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Norden 901
« on: May 19, 2022, 04:30:20 »
Currently I own a 2014 Moto Guzzi California.
This is now being sold and in September I will pick up a used Husqvarna Norden 901.
The bike I am buying is curretnly owned by KTM/Husqvarna New Zealand, it is their training bike and is now being used as their press bike. Be3cause I work in the industry here I am able to do a deal directly with the NZ distributor which means I get this bike for a good price.

Some pics

MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
Re: Norden 901
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 04:33:07 »
The bike has heated grips fitted to it and will come with their explorer mode software enabling better control settings for ABS and traction control.
I will at the time of purchase add the side panniers, a centre stand and a pillion comfort seat. The pillion comfort seat will allow MrsKiwi to seat a bit higher behind me and will enable her to see over my shoulder while riding.

I already have a couple of Givi top boxes which I'll fit once I have the bike and I will fit a Scott Oiler for the chain.
MrKiwi

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 04:35:28 »
I've taken the bike for a short test ride and am very pleased with it.

It rides and feels much like the Africa Twin, but is a lit lighter and a little less bulky. The motor is quite different, more revy and less torque.

The air filter is easy to get to being directly under the seat and the battery is also easy to get to, unlike the AT where it is hidden away.

More to come in September when I pick the bike up.
MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 09:25:15 »
nice to have some news from you David  VCIF_ThumbUp I have some friends who have bought it (waiting for Transalp, but still no news from Honda); and are enchanted for instance, wanting something lighter then AT, because oftently riding solo, and with some interesting off road aptitude ; waiting for your report David, oftently a thought to you and hoping your return in Europe  VCIF_salut
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

K68

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2022, 10:11:28 »
Hi,
I really like this bike and I am also very interested in your riding experience, I still ride a varadero because I travel with a passenger mostly but I miss the lightness and agility of the transalp 600.

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2022, 11:02:18 »
seems @T is better on duo riding than Husky  VCIF_salut , but David had Varadero, Crosstourer,  Africa 1000 , V85, so he can compare if he remember so far  ;D

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2022, 11:06:15 »
Hi David,

Better than no bike, but it is still a KTM with all the quality issues, just hidden in Swedish clothes... I hope they are getting better!
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2022, 02:04:21 »
Thanks all for your comments.

You are right Jyrki, mostly a KTM in Swedish clothes. The clothes are nicer than KTM's in my view. I'm aware of some of the perceived and actual reliability issues with KTM and buying the first version of a new model is not always a good idea. But, I like this bike.

K68 - I intend to ride two up on the 901. Power and torque are the about the same as the 1000cc version of the AT. The 901 is a very capable bike.

Zebulon - yes, looking forward to getting it in September and riding my summer.
MrKiwi

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 06:53:30 »
Last Wednesday I flew one to Auckland to pick up my new to me 6 month old Norden 901.
This bike has been owned by KTM NZ as their training and press bike, and it had just a few over 2,500kms on it. It now has just a little over 3,600km on it  ;D
After a couple of days of work meetings I eventually left Auckland at midday Friday and arrived home Saturday evening after a day and a half and 900km, an indirect route home.

I like this bike.

In some respects it is a little like the AT1000, but just ever so slightly smaller dimensionally and about 20kgs lighter. It is nimble, has good power and is frugal. 25km/l is my average usage so far.

I have set this bike up with a centre stand, heated grips, comfort pillion seat, off-road engine option and OEM side touring panniers.

I am adding to the bike a Scott oiler (an electric one), gps mount above the dash (there is a factory spot for it), tank bag and top box.

A few pics of the bike as I picked it up and some of the ride home.

Helensville just north of Auckland

A couple of cafes along the way

Top of the Pahiatua Track

Safely home in my garage
MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 09:49:08 »
 VCIF_ThumbUp some more pics when it will be full equipped , and you've ride it a little bit more; sure a nice bike ! lighter then 1000 as 1100 !  ;D

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 02:28:28 »
Went out for a ride on Sunday to test out the tech on the bike. It comes with a quick shifter and of course different ride modes.

The quick shifter is not like DCT but is nevertheless useful. When accelerating you keep the throttle in the same position (no easing off) and just lift the gear lever up. To change down you lift (ease off) the throttle and change down. Very smooth and quick. With quick shift off, use the clutch as normal. The gearbox is smooth o this bike.
There are four ride modes on my bike: street, rain, off-road and enduro.
Enduro permits a lot of customization with turning ABS and traction control off or down.

I took the bike our to eastern Wairarapa hilly country for playing around on gravel roads.

Coffee stop to charge up

Leaving the flat land behind

Gravel, lots of it

MrKiwi

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 02:30:35 »
and more

Then I got to a point where I was just about completing my loop ride and I came to this sign. Nothing for it but to turn around and ride those gravel roads again back the way I had come from.

MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 15:32:58 »
gravel seems very soft there  ;) what are you tires ? have you tried the quick shifter on the CRF Honda ? seems very soft and useful too !
thx David  VCIF_salut

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 02:01:06 »
gravel seems very soft there  ;) what are you tires ? have you tried the quick shifter on the CRF Honda ? seems very soft and useful too !
thx David  VCIF_salut
We have just got through our wettest winter on record and the hill country is water logged. The gravel roads are consequently soft underneath.

The tires are Pirelli Scorpion Rally STR, although I have today fitted a TKC70 Rocks to the rear.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 23:39:25 by MrKiwi »
MrKiwi

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 09:33:06 »
all the water stay to you; here hottest and driest summer since 60 years ... still bigs fires in the south west forest ... no more water in the lakes ....  :o really "global" warning
I've rided extra dry tracks in the Alps this summer  VCIF_salut

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal