Author Topic: My Big 2013 Tour: UK & Ireland  (Read 12126 times)

welshwizard

• HAR Member
Re: My Big 2013 Tour: UK & Ireland
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:48 »
Wow. This a brilliant thread. With the commentary & pictures, I feel as though I'm riding with you on your trip.
Thank you for sharing with us.
ww

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 12:34:02 »
Michiels rear suspension is more or less bashed (I'm not allowed to make any more BMuu related jokes in his presence...  ;D ).

Many people buy GS's to relive the Ewan/Charlie experience. Nice to see that BMuu is helping them to do that  ;D

Cible

• HAR Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 01:31:55 »
I thought on "Long way down" the Ewan/Charlie experience was having a nackered rear shocker and having to mend it in the middle of nowhere.

Still doe,snt top trump a nackered swingarm in Morrocco, does it.
Meat should always be tenderised before eating-Fit TKC's they do the job nicely.

Cible.

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 10:53:31 »
I thought on "Long way down" the Ewan/Charlie experience was having a nackered rear shocker and having to mend it in the middle of nowhere.

Which is Ok as long as you have a large 4WD following you packed with spares !

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 17:59:21 »
Today the the Beara Peninsula was put on the SatNav. ALL top. And then the Healy Pass ... If you where riding the spectacular Trolstiggen in Norway, really. Even with fog and drizzle it's still beautiful.  Before you ride the Healy Pass, the R573. Takes you off the main route, beautiful little coastal road. Totally top, can provide the *.gdb file if needed. After the Beara Peninsula we drove towards Kinsale, now slightly more inland. What an magnificent country Ireland is, truly beautiful. And what is it wonderful that the Irish on Sunday are all in the (Catholic) church ... the road is divine empty and fully to our disposal ;) .

Despite the heavy Catholicism in Ireland on Sunday all supermarkets are open. Where in the Netherlands politicians are debating endless on Sunday openings for shops, you can just pick up a fresh roll or do shopping across Europe. Would almost emigrate to a country where secular actually is explained ... as secular if it wasn’t for the fact that living in The Netherlands is so amusing and pleasant...  : P

Pics will follow ASAP. Tomorrow a rapid but winding 160/175 km (110 miles) ride to our next stopover. Then, on Tuesday, yet another highlight in Ireland will follow: The Wicklow Mountains and the Old Military Road just below Dublin. Ireland is GREAT. And the rain? It belongs to it. Proper tyres and proper clothing and it won’t bother you for a sec!
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2013, 01:04:16 »

Well... here you are (with pics and even some blue skies!
Enjoy. A shortcut in pics over the last 3 days  ;D

Ladiesview, Killarney Lakes:

Have a nice coffee stop at Ladiesview and make some snapshots. Than continue for 100 meters and enjoy the same view, with no boundaries and (almost) no tourists....   ;D

Dromquinna Manor just outside Kenmare at the Ring of Kerry. Just ride up the premises untill you reach the shore and the former (converted) boathouse. We enjoyed one of the best lunches ever here for a very reasonable prise:

Beare peninsula, south of the peninsula where the Ring of Kerry is located. Better, smaller, more beautiful and (far) less tourists. Hotspots: road R573 and the Healy Pass:

Besides the R573, the Healy Pass can't be missed on the Beare Peninsula. Its like riding memory lane if you have ever done the Norwegian Trollstiggen. With less tourist coaches and more sheep... ;D

And after another day of pure riding pleasure, enjoying a sundowner on the private balcony of our B&B in Kinsale... plotting the route for next day, where the accurate (online) GPS data of my Dutch engineered and build TomTom Urban Rider SatNav proves to be a most valuable contribution to the in-complete data of Garmin based Mapsource...  >:D

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2013, 06:29:09 »
Great pics. 

No two ways about though, you do make that Varadero look small when you on it Two Plugs... ;) 
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 09:44:26 »
Great pics. 

No two ways about though, you do make that Varadero look small when you on it Two Plugs... ;)

You haven't seen me on a Crosstourer...  ;D

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 08:44:14 »
LOL, yeah I can imagine, but I'm guessing you'll fit better on the CrossTourer than my Triumph 955i.  The CT had better ergonomics for me and fit better than the 955i. 

Honda NZ are about to loan me for six months the 800cc Crossrunner.  I haven't ridden one of these before so will be interested to see how that goes, but I suspect I'll make the bike look small.  I hear good things about the Crossrunner engine, other than how much fuel it consumes that is.  The bike is more like the Tiger 1050 in functional design (not looks).  Will suit me for commuting and road touring which is about 95% of my riding.

Cheers ...
MrKiwi

Sdapeze

• HAR Member
    • Varadero
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2013, 17:57:07 »
We will soon stop all that fun and smiles and blokey stuff. The lady will arrive tomorrow.
Also known as Jess Jephcott
1999 Gold, 2006 Silver, 2011 White
VIMs 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17, 20, 23.

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2013, 20:52:11 »
We will soon stop all that fun and smiles and blokey stuff. The lady will arrive tomorrow.

I know. Jess, I do... as long as I am on the west side of the Irish Sea I am relatively safe...  ;D

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2013, 21:17:10 »
as long as I am on the west side of the Irish Sea I am relatively safe...  ;D

Mmmm... while you were away, soaking your outside and your inside, who stayed at home and watered your medlar trees?   ;D

Have much fun, the both of you!  :)

Josep

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
Beyond Hollywood (star... ;) )
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 01:20:52 »
Hi all

Shook hands today with a mummy in St Michans Church in Dublin, read the Book of Kells in the Trinity University and enjoyed a nice PURE Irish Pint in the oldest pub of Ireland. Brilliant day of sight seeing in this stunning city, can recommend a visit to the lot of you!

No riding today, but did enough of riding the last couple of days. Tomorrow its on the first ferry from Dublin back to Holyhead, to head to the 15th anniversary Varadero & Crosstourer International Meeting (VCIM 15) in Wales and to meet up with my lovely Mrs!

Ireland is STUNNING. You must be mad to ride here with a (cheap) rental car like all US tourists do. Its is PURE MOTORCYCLING COUNTRY here. After Norway I now have discovered a 2nd nation which is even beautiful when it's raining. Well... Judge on the pics. Not that much raining at all.

Last gathering of Ireland pics below:

Athanman

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 17:46:20 »
Im really admire your tour Bernard its really one of a kind!Enjoy it my friend and keep posting as much as you can. ;)

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 06:34:32 »
good scenery, your tour looks like fun.  Enjoy it.
MrKiwi

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal