Author Topic: ABS vs Non-ABS  (Read 4946 times)

kjetil

• XL 2007 VA Bloom Red Metallic
    • My YouTube site
ABS vs Non-ABS
« on: July 21, 2013, 18:39:13 »
This is one of the reasons I switched to newer motorcycle with ABS.

Some things to think about. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
It's never too late to have a happy childhood. But the second one is up to you and no one else.

;-)

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
Re: ABS vs Non-ABS
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 14:44:29 »
You know, Kjeltil...

I never thought about ABS as an additional 'safety' feature on a motorcycle. To my modest opinion, a biker should be better of following an enhanced riding course...

But that all changed in the summer of 1999... When I crashed my first Varadero in to a Peugeot motorcar with only 50 km/h... Slipery road surface (oil).

My brother on his ST1100 ABS/TCS managed to avoid the crash, despite the fact that we where riding together on the same line and speed...

Nowadays I am convinced by ABS. But (there always is a 'but'  ;D ): For most people, ABS delivers a feeling of 'fake' safety. 'They' often think (it doesn't matter if it is a cardriver or a biker) that ABS improves the braking of an vehicle, but nothing is less true.

ABS only provides 'manoeuvrability', it avoids the brakes to blok the tyres. In most cases, ABS can extend braking distance for an considerable distance...

But I would not buy a vehicle without it any more. Same goes for the linked CBS brakes. And the Honda system is really bulletproof.
Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Athanman

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 15:52:27 »
This is one of the reasons I switched to newer motorcycle with ABS.

Some things to think about. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Very interesting video , thanks for sharing.

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 04:56:59 »
Thanks for sharing. I've never had the ABS activate in an emergency and this video demonstrates what to expect...and I'm not going to deliberately slam on the brakes on a wet and greasy road to find out (but perhaps I should?)  ...it's not the same as trying to activate it on dry roads or even in the dirt.
I love the CBS and find this helps with confidence entering corners at higher speeds.
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

V Saarela

• HAR Member
    • saarela.se
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 22:15:02 »
Looks like the non ABS have more fun?  :)

Well, ABS is the future and example in Sweden is new bikes only selled with ABS 2016(I donīt bather to check the year).

I love the feeling of the CBS brakes. Of course I want both ABS and CBS brakes, but if I must choose to keep only one of them.......I may choose the CBS.

dirtdeflector

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 09:33:22 »
This is the first bike i've owned with the combined breaking and still getting used to it (it's only been a week) had abs before and only felt it on the front once in ice but I stayed upright  ;D , great video showing the differences , just wondered though if those stabilisers are available as an accessory ?? as I know a few guys who could do with them lol   ;D

Jasper

• 2017 AT DCT - Red
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2013, 08:22:34 »
....hopefully you never need the ABS.....however, the DCBS is an aid to day to day fun riding on the twisties!
2017 Africa Twin DCT (Ruby), 2009 Varadero (Jasper), 1981 Suzuki GS750 (non-runner)

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2013, 15:26:13 »
I have a Varadero with combined brakes and an XT660 with unlinked brakes and knobbly tyres.

The combined system on the Honda is nice but I do like the ability of being able to use the rear brake to test the surface grip when riding the XT.

jackyork

• HAR Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 22:24:27 »
No doubt ABS is the future but I do hate the mandatory flavour. My Vara is V8 but without ABS option (original buyer, not me). I don't notice the linked Honda brakes as much as some riders because people my age were taught to use our brakes like that but I think the disadvantage shows when I want to test individual brakes. I am sure the back brake is not performing but how do you check?
Back to the ABS, as one of the You tube comments said, the test rider makes no attempt to stop the skid, or even avoid it in the first place.
A good thing certainly; compulsory, not for my money, I can't afford a new bike now, if they get any more kit on them I'll be back on the Bantam!
For Jasper, my friend bought the first BMuu with ABS and they made him do a course to learn how to use it. So your choice.

JK
jackyork.   Current: XL1000V ABS '11 black, Kawasaki ZX10B 1988, BSA Bantam 1958
Prev. Varadero '08.silver, Honda ST1100 Pan,'99 Triumph T120R Bonneville '67
Honda 750F 70s, BSA A10 RR '62,Norton Dominator 99 1962......many 'hacks' and a Lambretta.

bayonet

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2013, 16:26:54 »
No doubt ABS is the future but I do hate the mandatory flavour. My Vara is V8 but without ABS option (original buyer, not me). I don't notice the linked Honda brakes as much as some riders because people my age were taught to use our brakes like that but I think the disadvantage shows when I want to test individual brakes. I am sure the back brake is not performing but how do you check?
I'm glad you said that, thought it was just me.

I can't feel any difference with linked brakes to any of my previous bikes. To me it's just a lot of extra pipework and complication for no real benefit.

I always hate dragging the rear brake when doing feet up u-turns in narrow roads. That worry at the back of my mind that if I push too far the front brake may kick in.
2005 ABS Varadero
83,000 miles/133,000km and counting, can it beat my old Africa Twins for reliability or will it fail miserably?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal