Author Topic: Intermittent Starting issues with FI light On  (Read 11018 times)

Gandalf

• HAR Member
Intermittent Starting issues with FI light On
« on: July 26, 2013, 02:23:21 »
Hi all,
Have a 2008 Varadero, and sometimes after turning ignition on, the Fuel Injection light comes on, but doesn't go off. So it will not start. Most of the time, turning it off for a few seconds and back on again, it will do it's check and turn off, after which it will start immediately.

This morning, after multiple off and on, the only way to get the FI light to turn off was to try to start the bike with the light on. The engine turned a couple of turns, without starting, of course. Turned ignition off then back on again and it went into the proper starting sequence and started correctly.

Tried it later, without any issues.

Hopefully it's not an ECU problem.  Anybody seen this as well?

Athanman

Re: Intermittent Starting issues with FI light On
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 09:59:44 »
Dear Gandalf be sure that FI light so far has tortured many of us. There were lots of posts written about that issue . Be a little patient in order to let the mods guide you to those past messages. Im sure that everything will be ok in the end.

db55

• HAR Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 03:28:46 »
I have had this issue since i got the bike, its intermittent so it does not bother me.
I do as you did, crank it a few with light on, then turn ign off then on again and it always starts.
Something to do with the crank position sensor or something.
It has never left me stranded, but one day i might have it looked at. Problem is, it will never do it when you want to show someone!!

I wouldnt worry about it.

Cheers

Two Plugs

• Founding Member
  • Administrator
  • Took the plunge: CRF1000 ADVENTURE SPORT
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 09:30:04 »
Have you checked the HISS light too? It is a known issue with the MK2 Varadero, although I never experienced the problem on my previous MK2 (2004). On my current one (2011) every now and then, the HISS light (little red LED in the dash) won't switch off (result: FI light stays on too!) and the bike won't start.

At the 2nd attempt, the HISS LED does switch off and the engine runs. Its not a regular returning problem, but it can be a real irritating one...

Founder of VIM, that's why I am in!
Join the Varadero International FB group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1467408023517180/

Gandalf

• HAR Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 00:11:22 »
Thanks all,

That's what I wanted to know. If it has happened to most and nobody else is concerned, I will not worry about it. Just did not want to be left stranded.

Two Plugs, I will note the HISS light status next time it happens. Do you know if the key may be causing the light not to turn off? In any case I will try my spare key if I have starting issues in the future.

Thanks for the info guys.

toocanad

• HAR Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 18:54:37 »
Never paid much attention to the issue until now. Mine is an 08. I usually flip the kill switch on an off and I am good.

Now I need to investigate.

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 20:45:29 »
Known problem with the Varadero (only this one among Honda). Changed on my 2007 and my 2011 ... but it has happened again in Croatia ...
I'm looking on the French Forum to have further information.
The solution is to shut Off ignition, press starter button and put on ignition: it bypass the problem ...   ;)
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 00:05:02 »
Think you have to have a look at the ignition sensor. Perhaps with your Honda dealer  :)

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

jackyork

• HAR Member
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 04:08:09 »
Honda recognize a fault ?? HA hahaha!
JK
jackyork.   Current: XL1000V ABS '11 black, Kawasaki ZX10B 1988, BSA Bantam 1958
Prev. Varadero '08.silver, Honda ST1100 Pan,'99 Triumph T120R Bonneville '67
Honda 750F 70s, BSA A10 RR '62,Norton Dominator 99 1962......many 'hacks' and a Lambretta.

CLAUDIO ALZUGUIR

• HAR Member
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2022, 02:29:04 »
Dear Varadero owners. I from Brasil and have a 2008 Honda XL1000 imported from Spain since new. Sometimes I have this problem with the HISS light not going off and the engine will not start. I experiencing this intermittent problem for more than 10 years and sometimes I could solve it shaking the bike. Now the problem is getting worse happening more frequently. I am investigating it with my Honda mechanic and today I found some hints here and it seems the problem may be semi broken wires on the cable from CKP. I also found some videos (in Portuguese) relating that the same problem happens very often in Brasil with the Honda Transalp 700. My next step will be changing or repairing the wires and check if I get rid off this problem. Thank you. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 02:41:28 by CLAUDIO ALZUGUIR »

Snurrepus

• 2008 Black Beauty
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 03:08:18 »
Hi Claudio. A good tips is to press the start button and keep it pressed when you turn on the ignition.
Good luck.
See you deep in a German forest ;)

VIM 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2022, 10:43:15 »
@CLAUDIO ALZUGUIR always better to say hello and make a presentation when you enter a new house ...  ;)

yes the cable is a little bit short, when you turn handle bar right it can be better... (thought Honda have corrected on last models ... har_scratch ) , and yes you can try the Erik/Snurrepus tips , it can helps ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal