Author Topic: Q: What's the weather like in Scandinavia in September?  (Read 3533 times)

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
Q: What's the weather like in Scandinavia in September?
« on: January 06, 2014, 23:38:03 »
Hello,

a biker from another forum means to go to NordKapp next September. He doesn't know whether it is a good idea, because of the weather.

So, I ask in his behalf: what are the chances of finding storms or snow in Central & North Scandinavia in September?

I know that in January, there are some mild 5-8 ºC in Oslo  ;D ;D

Greetings,

Josep

SB

• Administrator

Manne

Re: Q: What's the weather like in Scandinavia in September?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 02:14:26 »
Althoug weather in the north can be very shifting, last time I ws in north cape in the beginning of august 2012 I had not more than +4C anywhere above the norwegian city of Alta and the winds were STRONG.
Just before in Swedish Haparanda it was +27 on the afternoon.

A friend of mine tried to do the journey some 3 weeks later but had to turn around because he had frost when he woke up in Kautokeino and very icy roads.
This was at the end of august 2012.

I wouldn't try it whitout getting me some proper riding gear and studs for the tyres in september.

Althoug it has happened that a varadero has been in  north Cape at the "wrong" time of the year.

Picture from february 2011 and swedish biker Hampe.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:22:33 by Manne »

V Saarela

• HAR Member
    • saarela.se
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 05:49:32 »
You almost must know day before how the weather is.

Couple years ago I visited the Slettnes Fyr on the sisteredge to North Cape.
I was there in the beginning of September. You can see from this pics how the weather was.  http://www.saarela.se/aktuellt/aktuelltbild11/110905/110905-1.html
(This weather is very unusual at this time of the year)

And.....
I usually visit every year a bikemeet in Oulu Finland(about 300 kms east from my home in Boden) The meeting is last weekend in August.
Some years warm and ybeutiful weather, some years minus degrees when waking up from the tent. Happens often the northern norwegian visitors at the meeting have to overnigt on their way home....to much snow falling down.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:52:07 by V Saarela »

JosepM

• AT 1100 DCT '23
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 09:41:24 »
Thank you!  :)
I think I got the idea, so I have transmitted it to this man, together with the provided links.
BTW, it's a nice bike record you have in your site V Saarela!  :)

Greetings,

Josep

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 16:36:56 »

I was there in the beginning of September. You can see from this pics how the weather was.  http://www.saarela.se/aktuellt/aktuelltbild11/110905/110905-1.html

Waouhhh I LOVE IT ! nice (small) curving road in the nature, blue sky and sun shining !!!  Some wild beast  8)
Hope to have the same weather for VIM#16 ...
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 00:51:20 »
Come on... its not that bad!

I drove with Vara in ice and snow also in Istanbul :)
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

Athanman

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 11:15:33 »

Come on guys you cant compare Instanbul with Norwegian weather. We live in south and its obvious that our neighbourhood has lower altitude and moreover is next to the sea.Sun shine days are more often with higher degrees than Norway. Norway can only be compared with the rest baltic countries , not even UK is appropriate to be compared with the Norwegian weather.

Skye

• XL1000 '99 & '08
    • SkyeBlog
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 17:56:00 »
Often you can compare. We have glances of mediterrian weather. When average temperature during a day can be around +22°C and that can happen in April and even late in September. Problem is you never know. 2013 was one of the best summer I can remember. Perfect biking weather with not to hot and not to cold from middle of may to middle of June. When my vacation started, the rain came. 4 weeks of little ups and downs. Middle of august Summer started again and didn't ended until last week of september where in nights temperature dropped to minus and lawn was frosty in the mornings.

Highest altitude in Norway is 2500 meters in summits. The Scandes are located between the Norwegian and Swedish border so I think there is more higher altitudes south of Europe. Otherwise Sweden and Denmark are kind of flat and Finland is full of lakes everywhere. Finland is actually not a part of the scandinavian countries since the Scandes not is available in that country. Finland is a part of the nordic countries and Iceland too.

Higher altitudes meaning colder temperature and we have the Treeline. Trees don't grow over a certain altitude due to climate and that is a sign that you now are in mountain area. Being around the coasts is lower but also more humid. Moisture get you cold from inside out..

Here you can see the topography of Scandinavia and the scandes is the darker brown
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavian_Mountains

I've been in around same altitudes near the red sea in a beduin safari in Wadi-rum Desert in November. Slept in sleepingbag around the zero, days +30. Altitude 2000m. Difference is the dryer air and more heat from the waters of Red Sea. 40 Km west and 2000 meters down in Aqaba it was Mediterranean summerheat.

Even bigger trailies than Varadero can work it out. IMHO, damn slow..

Skye's Escapades press info button to read and use a translator to view the slide show.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 17:58:32 by Skye »

vko82

• HAR Member
    • www.ledpolttimot.fi
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2014, 18:09:49 »
I thin Baltic is litle bit too south..

Last september  i was two week at Lapland    +300 km up from Artic circle.. middle of nowhere!

Some days are very nice, Sun shine at clear sky temperature +5-> +15, at night temperature can go +5 -> -5 Degrees, all so you can see nice northern lights!.
Some days its just rain water and cold wind blow!

But if you have warm clothes its not problem!

Best time is come July -> end of August.
Yamaha Super Tenere 2011
Honda Varadero 2008  RIP (06/14)

Jyrays

• Crazy Finn!
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 23:30:45 »

Come on guys you cant compare Instanbul with Norwegian weather

I was comparing Istanbul February to Scandinavian September :) Both might have snow...
Current: HONDA CRF1000L Tricolor DCT
Honda NC700X DCT
Past: Honda VFR 1200 X Crosstourer / Honda SLR 650 / HONDA XLV 1000 Varadero / Honda XR 650 R / KTM 640 LC4 / Honda CB1100 / Yamaha XJ 850 / Honda CB 500 1977...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal