Author Topic: AT Tires  (Read 137448 times)

Djairouks

• HAR Member
Re: AT Tires
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2017, 09:19:41 »

I'm not a real offroader either, at least not on this bike. I have another bike to pound on for trails and more dirty oriented stuff.
I'm quite content on this bike to do forest service roads, gravel and occasional trails.

If you're looking at the Pirelli Scorpions, I think you'll enjoy them. I've ridden on a set on a previous bike and really liked them. They are basically a sport touring tire with really good grip. They just don't last that long 7-8,000 kilometres for me on a heavy bike.

The Avon TrailRiders also get excellent reviews from BMuu riders on the big GS and they are similar to the Scorpions.

Great, then I'll check with my Honda dealership if they can find these Avon TrailRiders, because I might do other trips after
Scandinavia, It's just the first one I'll do to see what works for me and what doesn't, so if tires can last the rest of the season
and not require 2 more swaps I'm fine with that !

Thanks for all the informations, it's much apreciated !

zebulon

• Administrator
  • 2020 AT Matte Black Metallic
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2017, 13:54:15 »
seems Scorpion is very nice on road ! but worse on path, gravel, sand, etc .... consider personal feeling with a tire is very different , considering (age of the pilot  ;D ) roads where you ride, and how you ride, on the same bike; so I do not consider, a tire fitting a varadero or BMuu is nice on the AT  ...  VCIF_ok
Alone we go faster, together we go further

I do not ride fast, I ride far / I'm not lost, I'm just exploring

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2017, 14:53:45 »
seems Scorpion is very nice on road ! but worse on path, gravel, sand, etc .... consider personal feeling with a tire is very different , considering (age of the pilot  ;D ) roads where you ride, and how you ride, on the same bike; so I do not consider, a tire fitting a varadero or BMuu is nice on the AT  ...  VCIF_ok

Well I might go with the Avon anyway, because I don't want to risk completely wearing out a Pirelli, to do my vacation and get back
home barely !

I was thinking about tire tests the other day, if you don't consider that some magazines or sites are paid, to give manufacturers good
reviews, then how is it possible they always pretty much all agree on this or that tire being the best.
While all over forums, different people tend to like different brands, depending driving style and motorcycle, this will always puzzle me !

superfunkomatic

• XL1000VA8, CRF1000L Africa Twin, CRF250L
    • superfunkomatic.com
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2017, 18:24:51 »
It does make it tough to make a decision. Forum riders have said that the Avon Trailriders will go from 6,000 kilometres to 20,000. The Mitas E-07 from 3-4,000 kilometres to 18,000. The Heidenau K60 from 6,000 (mine) to 18-20,000 kilometres. There can't be that much variation in riding and road conditions for those types of gaps in the data.
2016 CRF1000L Africa Twin
2016 CRF250L
2008 Varadero (gonzo - one of my favorite bikes)

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2017, 19:19:32 »
I was thinking about tire tests the other day, if you don't consider that some magazines or sites are paid, to give manufacturers good
reviews, then how is it possible they always pretty much all agree on this or that tire being the best.
While all over forums, different people tend to like different brands, depending driving style and motorcycle, this will always puzzle me !

That's why you are here, and not only reading magazines  ;D

2016 AT Digital Silver - 2011 Shasta white - 2007 Bloom Red - 2001 Candy Phoenix blue

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #110 on: April 23, 2017, 00:44:34 »
It does make it tough to make a decision. Forum riders have said that the Avon Trailriders will go from 6,000 kilometres to 20,000. The Mitas E-07 from 3-4,000 kilometres to 18,000. The Heidenau K60 from 6,000 (mine) to 18-20,000 kilometres. There can't be that much variation in riding and road conditions for those types of gaps in the data.

I agree. From my experience I always get more distance than the minimums some people warn about (only 3-4000km) but I can never attain the distances some claim. Tire wear on a range of bikes and a range of tires I have used tend to be much closer to the reviews in magazines or the specifications provided by the tire manufacturer.

As an observation, some riders recommend running tires on pressure below that recommended by the tire manufacturer and in my experience this is the quickest way to accelerate tire wear.
MrKiwi
old enough that I should know better!

SB

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2017, 09:48:46 »
As an observation, some riders recommend running tires on pressure below that recommended by the tire manufacturer and in my experience this is the quickest way to accelerate tire wear.

Tyre pressure make a lot of difference to wear rates but so does riding style and the type of roads ridden (all motorways, heavy traffic or fast country roads).

A few years back I went on a 2 week trip from Scotland to the Maratime Alps. 2 Vara's a GSX-R and a VFR. The VFR rider had no confidence in the corners but didn't like being at the back of the group. He would nail it on the straights and then hard on the brakes at the first sign of a bend. 10 days into the trip in Southern France he needed a new back tyre.

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #112 on: April 23, 2017, 10:12:12 »
Yeah It's really weird, on all my yamahas I would do at least 14'000 Km on PR4 or roadsmart II and that was on a FZ8 and MT-09, so no need to say I could ride hard and be quite tough on tires !
I'm guessing the Honda guidelines are ridiculous, 2.0 bar front and 2.5 bar rear I think that's why my TA2 are wearing so fast, especially the front, what pressure do you guys use with no load on the bike !?

But thanks guys, I wasn't expecting so many replies I love this forum allready  VCIF_ThumbUp !

zebulon

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2017, 12:29:21 »
Done quietly 10 000 kms with OEM Dunlops, have a look here to see how they was; TKC have done quietly the same and are in very good conditions. Rides most part of their life on twisted road in Alps and Cévennes...
I inflate 2.0 in the front 2.5 alone for rear, 2.8 with pillion (we are not very heavy- I'm around 78kgs at this time ...) up to 3.0 with pillion and luggages... Wait and see how much kils I can do with the TKC
 VCIF_salut

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #114 on: April 23, 2017, 13:18:02 »
The issue is I'm not eager to try TKC, because my logic sugests that being the same company as the TA2, there is a good chance the rubber and wear would behave in a same fashion, so going another brand seems more logical !

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #115 on: April 23, 2017, 13:54:26 »
The issue is I'm not eager to try TKC, because my logic sugests that being the same company as the TA2, there is a good chance the rubber and wear would behave in a same fashion, so going another brand seems more logical !

the tkc 70 is a very different tire than the TA2.
MrKiwi

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2017, 18:19:40 »

the tkc 70 is a very different tire than the TA2.

I read that in fact the basic carcass is the same as the TA2 and same multigrip, as well as raingrip technologies, so in fact it looks like it's just more thread and more dirt oriented, but actually the rest is the same !

Even on the continental website, the spiderweb graphic giving the difference between TKC 70, 80 and TA2, give the same mileage ont both TA2 and TKC 70. So when the manufacturer says that, i'm still more convinced on the Avon and again I don't need a 60/40 tire, 80/20 is the maximum i'd need.

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2017, 23:11:22 »

I read that in fact the basic carcass is the same as the TA2 and same multigrip, as well as raingrip technologies, so in fact it looks like it's just more thread and more dirt oriented, but actually the rest is the same !

Even on the continental website, the spiderweb graphic giving the difference between TKC 70, 80 and TA2, give the same mileage ont both TA2 and TKC 70. So when the manufacturer says that, i'm still more convinced on the Avon and again I don't need a 60/40 tire, 80/20 is the maximum i'd need.

That being said the TKC 70 is more like a 70/30 tire in reality and it wears better in my view than the TA2's. But you should put tires on that you are comfortable with. I used the TKC 70 because I ride the majority of the time on tarmac, but occasionally on gravel. I've never used Avon so can't comment on it, other than to say I have never rated them. I'll be interested in your experience on them.
MrKiwi

MrKiwi

• Moto Guzzi California
« Reply #118 on: April 24, 2017, 00:52:30 »
Just got back from my local dealer, my faulty TKC70 front tire has been replaced, as noted before, free of charge. At just under 6,000 km the ire looked still fairly new apart from that strange cracking.

Let's see if this one fares any better.
MrKiwi

Djairouks

• HAR Member
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2017, 08:26:47 »
Funny you mention this, my TA2 in the center of the tires has small tears from my last ride, the rubber chips off the tire.
I've never seen this kind of thing, on my other Dunlops or Michelins and Bridgestones, another thing which doesn't give me a lot of confidence on trying the TKC 70.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal